Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dixon is only 33. Are you telling me that basically if your over 30 you may as well give up as you'll no handle next season?

Of course not. But 5 month out is a big ask to come back to the same standard in particular when they have not kicked a ball at the best of time. But as you get older its harder, the speed declines and that is a fact.

Being renown for my spectacular lack of pace when I did play football. When somebody you would have in your pocket a year ago knocks the ball past you, gives you a wide berth and still be 2 yards clear by the time you turn round reality hits you are a yard off the pace and a liability.

With a glut of players that will be available there will be better and younger players available that could play a roll in long term squad building.

Managers will be making hard choices and like it or not age will play a part in the decision making.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course not. But 5 month out is a big ask to come back to the same standard in particular when they have not kicked a ball at the best of time. But as you get older its harder, the speed declines and that is a fact.

Being renown for my spectacular lack of pace when I did play football. When somebody you would have in your pocket a year ago knocks the ball past you, gives you a wide berth and still be 2 yards clear by the time you turn round reality hits you are a yard off the pace and a liability.

With a glut of players that will be available there will be better and younger players available that could play a roll in long term squad building.

Managers will be making hard choices and like it or not age will play a part in the decision making.

John Baird was playing in Australia for a couple months before joining the Rovers this season, and it took him a few months to get up to speed. A few months makes a big difference at that age. 

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

John Baird was playing in Australia for a couple months before joining the Rovers this season, and it took him a few months to get up to speed. A few months makes a big difference at that age. 

Hardly a reason to boot them altogether though.

Aye it is. Over-the-hill geriatrics who have no future. By the time they get up to speed (if they get up to speed) we'll be halfway into the season. We can't afford to continue with the traditional Falkirk bad starts to the season. 

Just as well Stainrod didnt join us the now. At over 30 we'd be kicking him into touch before playing a game.

Has there been any indication of a change from full time at FFC for the next season? Just wondering if the relatively successful hybrid experiment at Raith has the BoD looking at paring the bottom line a bit more, especially in light of the ongoing uncertainty. I expect Partick will remain full time, in the expectation they can earn an immediate return...but we’ve seen that’s no given.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Just as well Stainrod didnt join us the now. At over 30 we'd be kicking him into touch before playing a game.

With the horrendous Covid19, seemingly on the downward slope, the virus has given clubs a prolonged period to reflect on what strategies have worked, what strategies have been wrong and what strategies are required to carry the team forward. 
Covid is likely to have an enormous if not devastating effect on the chances of any football (with or without spectators)

As the post started with a positive note, my take on the existing squad is simple, keep Mutch  Millar McManus. Sorry but the rest are needing punted. Yes Dixon Gomes maybe, but both could be another yard short by the time we actually play. Durnan & Hall at a push. As you have witnessed, there are several young players that have been outstanding against us, and I would hope that M&M have identified and made sure that these players are aware of our interest. We must start looking at a younger squad that are prepared to take on the challenge. Couldn’t handle another squad of nobody’s and imposters. 

18 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

With the horrendous Covid19, seemingly on the downward slope, the virus has given clubs a prolonged period to reflect on what strategies have worked, what strategies have been wrong and what strategies are required to carry the team forward. 
Covid is likely to have an enormous if not devastating effect on the chances of any football (with or without spectators)

As the post started with a positive note, my take on the existing squad is simple, keep Mutch  Millar McManus. Sorry but the rest are needing punted. Yes Dixon Gomes maybe, but both could be another yard short by the time we actually play. Durnan & Hall at a push. As you have witnessed, there are several young players that have been outstanding against us, and I would hope that M&M have identified and made sure that these players are aware of our interest. We must start looking at a younger squad that are prepared to take on the challenge. Couldn’t handle another squad of nobody’s and imposters. 

Millar will surely be a yard slower too as hes the of similar age to both of them.

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Shadwell you miss the point of my post. These are unprecedented times and older players have been some of the best to pull on a Falkirk jersey. Managers will have limited budgets and hard decisions to take and balance many factors when this is all over when rebuilding their squads. Age of the player will be a factor ! of course it will.

Sign an older player you accept longer to recover from injury and simply not as fit. This is compounded by sporting inactivity for 5 month. Ligaments and tendons will be a tight as a piano string. If ever something was going to go Ping ! its in pre season. There you go a player signed for a season an not playing a game.

Or get a player in early / mid 20's that are only going to get better. 

Miller and McCrackens jobs are on the line ( that's if they have a job )

18 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Shadwell you miss the point of my post. These are unprecedented times and older players have been some of the best to pull on a Falkirk jersey. Managers will have limited budgets and hard decisions to take and balance many factors when this is all over when rebuilding their squads. Age of the player will be a factor ! of course it will.

Sign an older player you accept longer to recover from injury and simply not as fit. This is compounded by sporting inactivity for 5 month. Ligaments and tendons will be a tight as a piano string. If ever something was going to go Ping ! its in pre season. There you go a player signed for a season an not playing a game.

Or get a player in early / mid 20's that are only going to get better. 

Miller and McCrackens jobs are on the line ( that's if they have a job )

Gomis will be here next season anyway whether there is any football or not. If there is no football next season then I doubt gomis dixon or millar will play for the club again. Gomis will if there is football though as m and m have already given him a year. With Todd and telfer also signed up I'm not sure I'd want us to sign millar too as hes similarly one paced and as you say we need far younger players in the middle to play with these guys. . I would be surprised if m and m didn't sign dixon as he is also a decent centre half .  I'd rather have him than buchanan there for a start and yet he'll be there next season too unfortunately having signed a 2 year deal. M and M are going to be limited in what they can do due to the contracts that have already been handed out so difficult decisions will have to be made on who else gets kept on.

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Gomis will be here next season anyway whether there is any football or not. If there is no football next season then I doubt gomis dixon or millar will play for the club again. Gomis will if there is football though as m and m have already given him a year. With Todd and telfer also signed up I'm not sure I'd want us to sign millar too as hes similarly one paced and as you say we need far younger players in the middle to play with these guys. . I would be surprised if m and m didn't sign dixon as he is also a decent centre half .  I'd rather have him than buchanan there for a start and yet he'll be there next season too unfortunately having signed a 2 year deal. M and M are going to be limited in what they can do due to the contracts that have already been handed out so difficult decisions will have to be made on who else gets kept on.

All depends when the go ahead for football starts then add on 2-3 months to get the clubs in some sort of order. If there are no dates before players contracts are up then clubs will have no choice but to clear the decks. As for signed players its all up in the air. Keep them on and honour their contracts or cut your losses and pay them off. Youth and Academy players will be dumped.

There are going to be a lot of worried players with no certainty on the horizon. Whoever they are and whatever club they play for. They are human beings many with families and deserve our sympathy.

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I read somewhere that the terms of the contracts were dictated by whether we got promoted or not. Don't know if that's right but, if it is, then we may not have any players signed for the next season.

28 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I read somewhere that the terms of the contracts were dictated by whether we got promoted or not. Don't know if that's right but, if it is, then we may not have any players signed for the next season.

Think you are spot on, at a hospitality table and sure I heard that all contracts were based on promotion otherwise all up for negotiation, tbh with the situation I guess all contracts out the window regardless 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Millar will surely be a yard slower too as hes the of similar age to both of them.

Playing with two younger guys each side, he’d defo do a job for us 

Quite right, officials from smaller clubs shouldn't be allowed to be their divisional reps or stand for election to the SPFL board, we should let Rangers and Celtic run things...with some help from Hearts maybe.

He is a fool end of

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

If the directors had any business savvy then next seasons contracts should be linked to promotion.

Since they don't have business savvy - I hey me doubts.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Has there been any indication of a change from full time at FFC for the next season? Just wondering if the relatively successful hybrid experiment at Raith has the BoD looking at paring the bottom line a bit more, especially in light of the ongoing uncertainty. I expect Partick will remain full time, in the expectation they can earn an immediate return...but we’ve seen that’s no given.

If Falkirk manage things right, defer all costs and unfortunately let go of the players ,management & staff we can return to full time when fans are allowed back in stadiums.

Many other clubs could go amateur or cease to exist.

I'd seriously worry about your own club first before ours , sorry.   

49 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If the directors had any business savvy then next seasons contracts should be linked to promotion.

Since they don't have business savvy - I hey me doubts.

My opinion is once the UK furlough scheme stops all contracts will be ripped up. We cannot carry large costs with no income, well not into next year. 

Tough but then these are tough times, force majeure and all that.  

No the club is in rude health financially unlike Raith there has been no need for beginning bowls.

I understand that those who got two year deals last summer were actually 1+1 if we got promoted. I see Falkirk being able to ride this out as well as any mid ranging club in Scotland.

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

If we end up going part time next season them most of the championship will.be doing that too as we're in a lot better financial state than a lot of them.  Players are going to be desperate for clubs when things go back to normal anyway so for a change clubs will be able to hold a lot of the cards.