The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit of a tangent but this table just showed up on our "On this day" twitters...

EXpJ5GsXkAEJ29J.jpeg.9e9051df85286ef0f1d1aeefd6095177.jpeg

... from 2003.

Your home record that season is incredible. A genuine argument that side could've stayed up comfortably if they had been promoted?

From 14 points ahead to 2 leagues behind how times change.We only lost that one game due to a very dodgy goal where the ball had gone a foot over the bye line too.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

... from 2003.

Your home record that season is incredible. A genuine argument that side could've stayed up comfortably if they had been promoted?

In 2003 the SPL clubs were in the middle of their big spending sprees were they not?

We would have needed surgery but would have made a decent stab at it. Ferguson, McPherson, Mackenzie, Taylor were all excellent D1 players but might have needed upgrading. Mark Kerr and Lee Miller were blossoming beautifully. Samuel was on fire but Coyle was ageing but still scoring freely. Hughes was still fine. Davie Nicholls taking bodies left right and centre in the top flight would have been sensational viewing.

That fucking Inverness goal was well over the bye line too. Still pisses me off.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

... from 2003.

No promotion or playoffs for 2nd place then either. Don’t remember big outcry back then. No social media I suppose. I think we were runner up 2-3 times during that era. 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

2 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

On you go. Health benefits from a killer virus? Let the science guys come up with some answers on antibody testing first.

As for Toby Young?

I wouldn't want that c*nt as a foreskin.

Facts:

Under 15’s in England &Wales - 10mn - 2 deaths from Covid - both had underlying conditions

Under 25’s in E & W - 15mn - 27 deaths - most had underlying conditions

Under 45’s in UK - unsure as to total numbers - 340 deaths- again most had underlying

Information from the ONS.

Since Covid there have been 10000 extra non Covid deaths due to people not getting proper health treatment.

Covid deaths around 32000.

Just giving you some personal risk assessment data to ponder.

Add in if you are NOT overweight and you are white, then your chances of escaping Covid are even greater.

Conclusion - Covid is a disease which attacks the elderly.

Political decisions need to made on these statistics.

10 hours ago, parxyz said:

*sigh*
The point is, you and 'the usual folks" might never take your seats again if we go down this 'herd immunity' approach.
Also, to say that the positive health benefits of lifting lockdown (going back to work, watching the football) outweigh the negatives (vulnerable people dying) reeks of idiocy, and quite frankly, makes you look like a self-serving cnut.

Your last line sounds like you are describing somebody from Cowdenbeath !

10 hours ago, parxyz said:

*sigh*
The point is, you and 'the usual folks" might never take your seats again if we go down this 'herd immunity' approach.
Also, to say that the positive health benefits of lifting lockdown (going back to work, watching the football) outweigh the negatives (vulnerable people dying) reeks of idiocy, and quite frankly, makes you look like a self-serving cnut.

There is actually very little evidence that a full lockdown actually works. Yes restrict crowds, yes take the kids out of school, yes quarantine  infected people and of course close down borders as there is strong evidence that they do work and make a huge difference. However, evidence of a full lockdown actually working is virtually hee haw.

There is actually very little evidence that a full lockdown actually works. Yes restrict crowds, yes take the kids out of school, yes quarantine  infected people and of course close down borders as there is strong evidence that they do work and make a huge difference. However, evidence of a full lockdown actually working is virtually hee haw.

There's actually very little evidence you have any of the relevant qualifications or required experience to be posting an opinion which should be taken seriously.

There is however, a lot of evidence that you're not listening to those who do have relevant qualifications and the required experience and are taking drivel that, if taken seriously, would get people killed.

f**k off.

22 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

There’s no doubting the boys ability but he’s one of those guys that’s always looked a bit heavy.

I’m pretty sure that even as a young man at St Johnstone Owen Coyle wasn’t happy about his conditioning and aptitude in training.

It's not a case of "even as a young man" Dobbie was out of condition.  It's a case of "only as a young man..."  He's not been overweight for over a decade.

I'm guessing you also mean "attitude" rather than "aptitude".  The latter has never been in doubt.

36 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If, by "evidence", you mean tens of thousands of deaths then your post is 100% correct. Other than that your post is 100% drivel.

Where’s your justification for such drivel?…

6 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

If, by "evidence", you mean tens of thousands of deaths then your post is 100% correct. Other than that your post is 100% drivel.

Theres very little evidence to say that a strict lockdown enforced by police though is any better than just having what I mentioned and social distancing etc in place

Look at Sweden for example. Theres no enforced lockdown there and yet do you see covid running riot over there?  I'm not saying for a minute that we should have been just going about our lives as normal I'm just saying that having read a lot of stuff on this I cant find any real substantial evidence to say that a police enforced lockdown makes much difference.

18 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Jeez, McKinnon is no longer with us....thank f**k.
It’s clearly hurt you guys badly after all this time.
I’m sure there’s a good therapist in Greenock somewhere you can talk to.
Time to move on.....

Yes, you guys were certainly the big winners out of that one.

Was the lockdown not more about spreading the amount of infected people needing hospital treatment over a longer period of time, to prevent hospitals being overrun and people being denied treatment, rather than an attempt to stop the spread entirely?

I daresay it's one of things where there will never be a statistic to prove it was successful.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was the lockdown not more about spreading the amount of infected people needing hospital treatment over a longer period of time, to prevent hospitals being overrun and people being denied treatment, rather than an attempt to stop the spread entirely?

I daresay it's one of things where there will never be a statistic to prove it was successful.

Yeah but theres very little scientific evidence to say that the peak curve has actually been changed by a full lockdown. Sweden with no lockdown has a curve virtually identical to ours and has a death rate per 100k of about half what ours is.

The other reason for complete lockdown was the thought that it would effect around 3.4 percent of the pops which turned out not to be the case. Actual stats will show it to be about 0.4.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Correct

And from my stats - why shut down the schools - kids are virtually immune and most teachers are under45?

Just seen video on Taiwan which has defeated the virus without any lockdown but by using sensible personal precautions.

Not part of WHO due to China influence.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah but theres very little scientific evidence to say that the peak curve has actually been changed by a full lockdown. Sweden with no lockdown has a curve virtually identical to ours and has a death rate per 100k of about half what ours is.

Are you comparing Sweden against the UK and a whole or just Scotland?

As I'm relatively sure the UK is being skewed massively by London, a condensed world hub of the likes Sweden has nothing remotely similar too.

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Theres very little evidence to say that a strict lockdown enforced by police though is any better than just having what I mentioned and social distancing etc in place

Look at Sweden for example. Theres no enforced lockdown there and yet do you see covid running riot over there?  I'm not saying for a minute that we should have been just going about our lives as normal I'm just saying that having read a lot of stuff on this I cant find any real substantial evidence to say that a police enforced lockdown makes much difference.

I haven't read much on the subject beyond stats showing a bunch of European nations recording a couple of hundred deaths & now in the process of opening up again.

That, plus I'll be sitting in my local park this afternoon enjoying a beer or two with friends and discussing our return to work next week.

I'm not gloating, I'm utterly seething at way the UK has handled this.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Correct

And from my stats - why shut down the schools - kids are virtually immune and most teachers are under45?

Just seen video on Taiwan which has defeated the virus without any lockdown but by using sensible personal precautions.

Not part of WHO due to China influence.

Always wondered how folk this ^

Can see that multiple first world countries are struggling to afford to test people for the virus, yet believe a country like Taiwan when they claim it's been eradicated.