The Falkirk FC Thread

I suppose another couple of guys I went to school with are worth a mention.....Peter Godfrey and Brian “Bomber” Brown. Big Peter was late to the professional game. He was still there having kick abouts down the Lido when those of his age who were destined to be players were all with clubs. Always found him and his brother Kenny to be decent guys.

Brian was a North Broomage lad made good. Played Sunday matches against him loads of times, and Christ, he could rough you up without ever hurting you. A few of his thumps in the back soon wore you down.

28 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I suppose another couple of guys I went to school with are worth a mention.....Peter Godfrey and Brian “Bomber” Brown. Big Peter was late to the professional game. He was still there having kick abouts down the Lido when those of his age who were destined to be players were all with clubs. Always found him and his brother Kenny to be decent guys.

Brian was a North Broomage lad made good. Played Sunday matches against him loads of times, and Christ, he could rough you up without ever hurting you. A few of his thumps in the back soon wore you down.

Big Peter was a standout that year we went up.

29 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Brown and Hay were a good partnership.

29 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

A bit away from the recent conversation - After the sevco dossier released looks like that any lingering hope of re-construction has more or less died today. Always thought that the 11-1 vote would be impossible to change, suspect today’s allegations will simply endorse. At least the club will know what budgets to prepare for. 

What makes you say that bud?

From what was mentioned on the radio the allegations from Sevco were  bullying and coercion of clubs.  The SPFL have said there is no evidence of either and if there was then they would call for Doncaster and McKenzie to be suspended.

Throw in Hearts have consulted wither their lawyers and said they have a strong legal case should the SPFL try to relegate them.

Though England look to have their own issues over ending the season looking to be as farcical as ours mind you. 

having just had a quick read of it on the Sun pages Doncaster had wrote to UEFA calling for the clubs asking for the season to be concluded before the vote.

It does ask a lot more questions of Doncaster and Co also the TV deal he brokered was below the market value.

Edited by AL-FFC

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

A bit away from the recent conversation - After the sevco dossier released looks like that any lingering hope of re-construction has more or less died today. Always thought that the 11-1 vote would be impossible to change, suspect today’s allegations will simply endorse. At least the club will know what budgets to prepare for. 

I don’t necessarily agree with your conclusion.

If it was any team other than Hearts then I might agree.

24 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

From what was mentioned on the radio the allegations from Sevco were  bullying and coercion of clubs.  The SPFL have said there is no evidence of either and if there was then they would call for Doncaster and McKenzie to be suspended.

Throw in Hearts have consulted wither their lawyers and said they have a strong legal case should the SPFL try to relegate them.

Though England look to have their own issues over ending the season looking to be as farcical as ours mind you. 

having just had a quick read of it on the Sun pages Doncaster had wrote to UEFA calling for the clubs asking for the season to be concluded before the vote.

It does ask a lot more questions of Doncaster and Co also the TV deal he brokered was below the market value.

I reckon the spfl had already drafted their reply no matter what was in the document. They couldnt have got it out quick enough considering it was 200 pages long. Get to Doncaster to feck and then let's move on.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I reckon the spfl had already drafted their reply no matter what was in the document. They couldnt have got it out quick enough considering it was 200 pages long. Get to Doncaster to feck and then let's move on.

Where has this 200 page document nonsense came from?! It's nonsense. It was 19 pages with a few dozen pages of appendices.

Was the document for the vote not something like 120 pages they were sent on the Wednesday night and wanted an answer by the Friday so any chance to properly scrutinise it was slim.

It looks like the spfl are going down the road of no staff were involved in coercion and bullying as it was in fact members of the spfl board that were doing that. Dunfermline and Alloa telling dundee and ICT that if they didn't vote it through the finances would be split ten ways instead and they would lose money.

19 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Throw in the following Sevco allegation, as copied below, if true  just can’t see any reconstruction.

They went on: “The consent of the SPFL’s broadcasting partners is required for a restructuring.

i do believe the main prerequisite of Sky was 4 Old Firm games a season as long as they still have those then i would imagine it will be OK not to mention if Hearts dont get relegated they have the Edinburgh derby as without Hearts its another high profile game lost.

Where has this 200 page document nonsense came from?! It's nonsense. It was 19 pages with a few dozen pages of appendices.

It’s been widely reported in the media. And by numerous journalists on twitter when the story broke. For example: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/spfl-take-aim-rangers-dossier-not-single-shred-evidence-back-bullying-and-corruption-claims-2845681

Just now, Bantabairn said:

Has anyone got meaningful information on the financial losses a team such as St Mids St Jon would get faced with being relegated from the top tier. I seem to recall that our then chairman MR said that we dropped  1M. 
( sorry can’t be arsed looking back) 

Hearts reckon their relegation would cost 3 million but i dare say thats taking into account them running an academy, over inflated wages, and large first team not to mention reserves and a new stand which they have just had built.

1 million is the the prize money or there abouts for the team thats in last place, i think anyone else you would need to take in losing the gate receipts of the 2 arsecheeks, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts thats where you get your decent away crowds.

Steven Fucking Pressley.  His great guarantee that we will not go down.

I’ll never understand why people thought this was such a big deal. He was trying to show his players that he had every confidence in them in the hope that heads would not be quick to go down on the field of play.

It’s a tactic that sometimes works but when it doesn’t, you get it in the neck.

It’s 10 years ago now and to put all the blame on Pressley, who did at least have a good spell in terms of quality of football and potential prospects, is unfair so I’m not going to castigate him. That honour lies with a couple of more recent dud managers....

18 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ll never understand why people thought this was such a big deal. He was trying to show his players that he had every confidence in them in the hope that heads would not be quick to go down on the field of play.

It’s a tactic that sometimes works but when it doesn’t, you get it in the neck.

It’s 10 years ago now and to put all the blame on Pressley, who did at least have a good spell in terms of quality of football and potential prospects, is unfair so I’m not going to castigate him. That honour lies with a couple of more recent dud managers....

It was the fact he came out and said I guarantee you we will not go down.  Any sensible  manager just wouldnt go down that road as there are no guarantees in life. He shouldve just said I have every confidence in my players that we will stay up this season and will be making every effort to do so. When you say we definitely wont go down and end up going down it's a right riddy especially as we went down without a whimper that season.  We only needed to win one game against the dregs of the league and he couldnt even manage that.  Christ one up against ten man st mirren and his team completely bottled it. Killie won one  game out their last 6 and still stayed ahead of us. If you're going to guarantee people their team will stay up at least make a go at it.  Just one in a long line of shit managers Houston apart.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I would rather he said he was confident that we would stay up than say "nah the lads have downed tools we are down so we are playing for the first division" as long as it was mathematically possible then we had a chance.  I dont even get what peoples problem is/was with Pressley seemed a decent enough guy and the younger players had a lot of respect for him.