The Falkirk FC Thread

Yep Celtic and Rangers and their sectarian baggage are worthy of derision and their poison that goes beyond football .
You see it's a personal thing between Aberdeen Football Club and me. As I left Brockville that night 34 years ago I made an oath to myself that I would despise them with a passion and cheer on any team that plays them.
I have stood by that oath for 34 years and have no intention of changing it now.
So lets close the hate fest however well deserved for now regarding the whinging cheats 11 and move on.

Not old enough to remember that game but their antics in a midweek spl game really annoyed me up in Aberdeen, think it might of been the game we needed a win to get in the top 6.

9 minutes ago, Sanity check needed. said:
On 30/04/2020 at 19:56, HopeStreetWalker said:
Yep Celtic and Rangers and their sectarian baggage are worthy of derision and their poison that goes beyond football .
You see it's a personal thing between Aberdeen Football Club and me. As I left Brockville that night 34 years ago I made an oath to myself that I would despise them with a passion and cheer on any team that plays them.
I have stood by that oath for 34 years and have no intention of changing it now.
So lets close the hate fest however well deserved for now regarding the whinging cheats 11 and move on.

Not old enough to remember that game but their antics in a midweek spl game really annoyed me up in Aberdeen, think it might of been the game we needed a win to get in the top 6.

Been like that since the fergie days. I remember the 2 2 game at brockville well. Ref had a complete shocker under pressure from miller et al.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Thinking about Colin McNair earlier, how about a list of players who could have been excellent for us but, for whatever reason, didn't quite become as well remembered as they should have?

McNair, Bobby McKell, Pele, Cedric Uras, Ken Eadie, Derek Ferguson, Nicky Henderson, Jim Fowler, Collin Samuel, Andy Thomson, Jean-Francois Lecsinel, Jack Compton.

Add your own.

Shagger. Here are two you will remember. Alex Beckett and John Young.  Both freed by Prentice signed by Cunningham at St Mirren and were fixtures there for the rest of their career.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Been like that since the fergie days. I remember the 2 2 game at brockville well. Ref had a complete shocker under pressure from miller et al.

Shadweel. Was engrained in their mindset long before Fergie. Eddie Turnbull's team were up to that sort of nonsense as well.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Somewhere in all those teams got to be room for Mo Johnstone he was another one had a bit of class playing for us.

Didn't help that he bailed out during our relegation year . We only won one more game out of our last 16 after he bugged off.

13 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

75-74 - 135 Appearances

Stuart Rennie: Goalkeeper. 1968 - 1973

Paul Leetion: striker. Before my time (just) but was he not meant to have been a really hot prospect? 26 goals from 1976 - 1981.

Stuart Rennie had this telepathic understanding with Tiger when he did these out heart in your mouth pass backs.

Was told a story before he signed for Falkirk Stuart started as an outfield player and got put in goals due to a sending off and never played outfield again.

Paul Leetion was in the Graeme Payne of Dundee United mould. Talented but did not have the build or mindset to cope.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Didn't help that he bailed out during our relegation year . We only won one more game out of our last 16 after he bugged off.

Sure he left to play in America or Canada at the end of that season it was always on the cards that move for him anyway or was common knowledge at the time.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Sure he left to play in America or Canada at the end of that season it was always on the cards that move for him anyway or was common knowledge at the time.

It was right bang in the middle of the season he left. We at that point still had a decent chance of going up. Not sure whether he was still under contract or whether we stupidly just let him go. I wouldnt put anything past lambie but it was one of the final nails in our coffin that season.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Absolute shite.

He played right up until the penultimate game.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Absolute shite.

He played right up until the penultimate game.

Your right my bad my memories not what it was🙈🙈. I thought hed packed in about half way through for some reason as he only played about 30 games for some reason.   Probably the fact that he was part of the lambie debacle that means hes not in more teams even though he was about the only shining light.

14 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Rennie was a very good goalie. Wee Leetion was a good we player too.

Out of interest related to the name, found this with a little Falkirk info too:

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/an_interview_with_stuart_rennie_from_alex_ferguson_to_willie_pettigrew_886936/index.shtml

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Your right my bad my memories not what it was🙈🙈. I thought hed packed in about half way through for some reason as he only played about 30 games for some reason.   Probably the fact that he was part of the lambie debacle that means hes not in more teams even though he was about the only shining light.

I think many of us were worried when he signed, but he was magnificent and his attitude was superb even when he could have been forgiven for jacking it as things collapsed under Lambie.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think many of us were worried when he signed, but he was magnificent and his attitude was superb even when he could have been forgiven for jacking it as things collapsed under Lambie.

Aye your right there think I got mixed up with the fact it was only a 36 game season and not a 44 which we'd played when there was 12 in the top flight back in those days so he actually only missed 5 games.  I remember we played killie and beat them 4 2 with finnigan and iorfa etc. We then played celtic at home and drew nothing each before a narrow defeat ar easter road.  The complete numpty that lambie was then swapped the excellent Kirk for the completely useless Ally Graham and we never won another game. That was one of the worst swaps in the history of the bloody club .  Mind you that was just one on a series of terrible swaps around those seasons. Weir for berry and hamilton being another cracker.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye your right there think I got mixed up with the fact it was only a 36 game season and not a 44 which we'd played when there was 12 in the top flight back in those days so he actually only missed 5 games.  I remember we played killie and beat them 4 2 with finnigan and iorfa etc. We then played celtic at home and drew nothing each before a narrow defeat ar easter road.  The complete numpty that lambie was then swapped the excellent Kirk for the completely useless Ally Graham and we never won another game. That was one of the worst swaps in the history of the bloody club .  Mind you that was just one on a series of terrible swaps around those seasons. Weir for berry and hamilton being another cracker.

That Killie game was when the players kicked footballs into the crowd amongst other things to get the support onside. Was a good day that, we then drew at home to Celtic and then collapsed. When I say collapsed, a lot of results were narrow defeats. Partick were there for the taking that season even though we were pretty awful but despite that, we still could’ve scraped a playoff spot. 

25 years ago this month we could’ve finished 3rd in the Prem but fell just short. The story of the last quarter of a century. We’ve crushed the league a couple of times but the only time time a season was in the balance with a chance of achieving something was beating Inverness to escape relegation on the last day of the season. Whether it be promotion, cup finals (excluding challenge cup finals) play offs, top 6 or escaping relegation, when the heat is on, we’ve faltered. 

When the next time comes and something really matters, let’s hope we’re successful.

Thinking about Colin McNair earlier, how about a list of players who could have been excellent for us but, for whatever reason, didn't quite become as well remembered as they should have?

McNair, Bobby McKell, Pele, Cedric Uras, Ken Eadie, Derek Ferguson, Nicky Henderson, Jim Fowler, Collin Samuel, Andy Thomson, Jean-Francois Lecsinel, Jack Compton.

Add your own.

Neil Duffy. He was always that tiny wee bit of commitment away from being spectacularly good.

Would add Gary Smith. He simply oozed class until Roy Aitken took him to Aberdeen and ruined the guy’s career.

75-74 - 135 Appearances
Stuart Rennie: Goalkeeper. 1968 - 1973
Paul Leetion: striker. Before my time (just) but was he not meant to have been a really hot prospect? 26 goals from 1976 - 1981.

Paul Leetion had an amazing hair style. It was like he was permanently wearing a military bearskin.

Somewhere in all those teams got to be room for Mo Johnstone he was another one had a bit of class playing for us.

In my team but spelling was wrong as someone who was definitely not being pedantic pointed out.
Can you imagine him alongside Stainrod!!!