The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Finnigan was an excellent signing at the time. Good record for NC reserves, not expensive, and it pissed the Buddies off royally when we gazumped them. All good stuff.

Yeah and we ended up missing out on a top 6 spot. Magic.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He did us a turn.

He needed support up front and the midfield fell to bits.

He had latapy and how to support him and yet still did hee haw. For me he didn't suit the passing style of play hughes based his team on so why he saw him as a replacement for stokes who had suited it I'll never know.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think if we had had another decent more experienced striker at the club at the time then finnigan would have made more sense.  The fact that we were putting all our eggs in the basket that was Carl finnigan who had never played a first team game in his nelly puff before it was a big gamble which ultimately didn't come off. To me if your signing him then you need to be signing two strikers as john Stewart's your only other option if you dont.

On that basis then I'm sure you'll be having a go at Hughes for signing Stokes too?

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

The one full season he played for you in the top flight you were rock bottom and he only played 19 times in your championship win so I wouldnt say that was instrumental in a 36 game season.

Don't talk pish - you know when you go down you can still have a few good players in the team, right?  He also played 10 or so games the second time we went up and we were never bottom during our that season up under Hartley. And he suffered injuries in our title winning season but played alongside Gavin Rae and their partnership was excellent.

Just because he never played well for you, doesn't mean he couldn't elsewhere. In total, his 3 and a half seasons at Dens were a success. We've had plenty of shite players that have been good at other clubs - Mark Kerr & Rory Loy being examples from the top of my head.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

On that basis then I'm sure you'll be having a go at Hughes for signing Stokes too?

Hughes signed stewart and stokes around the same time though .  Probably saw stokes as more of a gamble than stewart given the fact that he actually spent cash on stewart for some ridiculous reason.  Stewart flopped big style but stokes proved very successful.  With finnigan though there was no safety net. It was him or stewart and neither were good enough to get us where we wanted to be.  Other than that finnigan to me was a totally different style to stokes as I said. Bigger more physical and never suited our style.

5 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Don't talk pish - you know when you go down you can still have a few good players in the team, right?  He also played 10 or so games the second time we went up and we were never bottom during our that season up under Hartley. And he suffered injuries in our title winning season but played alongside Gavin Rae and their partnership was excellent.

Just because he never played well for you, doesn't mean he couldn't elsewhere. In total, his 3 and a half seasons at Dens were a success. We've had plenty of shite players that have been good at other clubs - Mark Kerr & Rory Loy being examples from the top of my head.

He played  4 games the second time you were in the top flight so obviously Hartley realised he needed better to get dundee up the table.. We were looking for a player good enough to get us into the top 6 in the league as that was the standard he was coming into that season . He was nowhere near good enough for that and subsequently we went from pole position for top 6 to ten mins from being relegated after he arrived. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

56 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Folk being a tad harsh on McBride? Would never stand out but you need a sitter in the midfield and did he not have the discipline to do that for the better players to flourish? Average player but just about good enough to do a dull but important team job??

Best player on the park in the 09 cup final IIRC?

Can't remember if it was his debut or not but I think his daft handball, giving away a penalty at Love St, saw his confidence dip somewhat. No doubt he didn't do very well overall for us though.

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Hughes signed stewart and stokes around the same time though .  Probably saw stokes as more of a gamble than stewart given the fact that he actually spent cash on stewart for some ridiculous reason.  Stewart flopped big style but stokes proved very successful.  With finnigan though there was no safety net. It was him or stewart and neither were good enough to get us where we wanted to be.  Other than that finnigan to me was a totally different style to stokes as I said. Bigger more physical and never suited our style.

I think you should change your username to Mr Hindsight mate, may be more appropriate.

9 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

He signed in the summer of 08’ I think at a time when Latapy was used only sparingly. He wasn’t signed as an immediate replacement for Stokes.

Who finnigan? Finnigan signed  immediately after stokes left in the january window.  Made his debut against killie in the league cup semi pumping and missed a sitter.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He played 4 games the second time you were in the top flight. We were looking for a player good enough to get us into the top 6 in the league as that was the standard he was coming into that season . He was nowhere near good enough for that and subsequently we went from pole position for top 6 to ten mins from being relegated.

He played 6 times having just checked. Perfectly good upper tier Championship player.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was feckin awful. Slow as a week in the jail and a shitebag to boot. Must've had incriminating pics of Hughes as he took him to hibs too where he was also shite.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

No doubt but nowhere near good enough for a club pushing top 6 in the premier as I said to start with.

No, you didn't. The above was the post I was replying to. Only after this did you state that.

To be honest, considering his ability it's of absolute no surprise that he played at a few bigger clubs than Falkirk after he left. ;)

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think you should change your username to Mr Hindsight mate, may be more appropriate.

Signing the wrong kind of player is nowt to do with hindsight. You need to scout players and make sure they fit into your team.  Stokes apart from his goal record fitted in well with the way gow and latapy played.  He liked to run on to the ball  and latapy loved feeding it to him in the channels. Finnigan as I said was more of an old fashioned style of centre forward.  No real pace but better in the air and at holding it up. Similar when he replaced thomson with kevin mcbride. Two totally different players  one suited the dynamic of the side the other didn't so why sign him.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

No, you didn't. The above was the post I was replying to. Only after this did you state that.

To be honest, considering his ability it's of absolute no surprise that he played at a few bigger clubs than Falkirk after he left. ;)

He was shite with us when we were playing at a decent level in the top flight. Might have done a job if we'd been knocking about in the championship at that point who knows.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Signing the wrong kind of player is nowt to do with hindsight. You need to scout players and make sure they fit into your team.  Stokes apart from his goal record fitted in well with the way how and latapy played.  He liked to run on to the ball  and latapy loved feeding it to him in the channels. Finnigan as I said was more of an old fashioned style of centre forward.  No real pace but better in the air and at holding it up.

If we ever get out of this lockdown and back to the fitba I think you should apply for the manager's job as you obviously have all the answers.

It is maybe just a possibility though that Hughes realised that an ageing Latapy wasn't going to be around for much longer and he felt that a change of style was required? 

1 hour ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It isn’t stupid, Ian McCall managed it after Tottens awful last season. 

I'm pretty sure we took advantage of Airdries demise and signed the majority of that side the rest as they say is history. The main point being most of those guys had played together the season before. hartleys just seemed to be a case of you'll dae you look a baller

Edited by AL-FFC

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If we ever get out of this lockdown and back to the fitba I think you should apply for the manager's job as you obviously have all the answers.

It is maybe just a possibility though that Hughes realised that an ageing Latapy wasn't going to be around for much longer and he felt that a change of style was required? 

Not in the middle of a season when your in pole position for top 6 unless as I said your signing a couple of strikers one for now and one for next season. Mistakes happen you learn and move on and dont make them again. We though were making the same mistakes every january after great starts.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think if we had had another decent more experienced striker at the club at the time then finnigan would have made more sense. 

We had two experienced strikers at the club. Graeme Barrett, who had signed in the summer and spent the whole of the season out injured, and Tam McManus, who also signed in the summer and never got a start. (total 5 sub appearances) He eventually left when Finnigan arrived in January as Yogi simply wouldn't play him. When Pressley re-signed him a couple of years later he showed up well.

I worked with McManus' dad at the time and he didn't have a good word to say about Yogi.

Moutinho was also there but he spent about half of the season out injured.