The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, keithgy said:

George Craig did a talk at my son's school explaining how we managed to sign Stokes,it was a pure fluke and he said it was his wife that said what have you got to lose just sign him.He was on £4000 a week at Arsenal and we paid £1000 of it when he was at Falkirk.

Aye, George always did what he was told by the wife.😉

Just now, AL-FFC said:

I always wondered if Yogi thought McBride was a good player or just played him to stick two fingers up at the fans the amount of abuse he got from us.

He was feckin awful. Slow as a week in the jail and a shitebag to boot. Must've had incriminating pics of Hughes as he took him to hibs too where he was also shite.

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Maybe it was her that hid the club tax demands down the back of the sideboard.🤣

Folk being a tad harsh on McBride? Would never stand out but you need a sitter in the midfield and did he not have the discipline to do that for the better players to flourish? Average player but just about good enough to do a dull but important team job??

14 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Folk being a tad harsh on McBride? Would never stand out but you need a sitter in the midfield and did he not have the discipline to do that for the better players to flourish? Average player but just about good enough to do a dull but important team job??

We were in pole position for top 6 when he arrived. We had a dreadful second half of the season and then the next season we were only a few mins away from relegation mainly due to signings like him. If your going to sit you need to be able to tackle and break up play. He could do neither.

Look at that side from the 5 1 win at st mirren. The midfield was Thomson, arfield and cregg. Cregg did all the dirty work then and was ten times the player mcbride was.  Put mcbride in and your asking cregg to do a job hes not comfortable with and getting a player that's poorer to do the job hes very good at. Ruined cregg as a player when mcbride took over that role.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

16 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I would put McBride in the same category as Joe Tortolano and Brian Hamilton which is the same category as Hartleys imposters 

Basically to have them on the field was like playing with a man down unfortunately for us hartleys was 11 men down.

Edited by AL-FFC

Just now, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Not for me, Hamilton and McBride over Sammut. In saying that, it wasn’t really Sammuts fault he was playing.

Sammut was only a young lad in his defence what i do think it shows is the massive difference between reserve team premiership EPL club and first team football Scottish Championship.  Stupid idea to sign a whole team with no continuity the very thought of that idea needs a boot in the baws.

15 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

A bang average championship at that. He was nowhere near good enough for the top flight. 

Never let us down in the Prem either.

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Sammut was only a young lad in his defence what i do think it shows is the massive difference between reserve team premiership EPL club and first team football Scottish Championship.  Stupid idea to sign a whole team with no continuity the very thought of that idea needs a boot in the baws.

My alarm bells rang when sammut appeared at falkirk whilst his contemporaries were all getting loan deals in the epl, english championship or leagues like the eredivision. The standard of that chelsea youth side was very high. It's just a case that we ended up with the one guy that wasnt going to make it I'm afraid. Look where others like tammy abraham , Mason mount , , tomori fikoyo and dominic solanke etc are playing now and they were his team mates.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

It isn’t stupid, Ian McCall managed it after Tottens awful last season. 

4 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It isn’t stupid, Ian McCall managed it after Tottens awful last season. 

A lot of them had played together at clydebank or elsewhere and they were all experienced pros with loads of games under their belts.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As I said the problem was made worse by the fact that out of the 3 strikers he signed that season one was excellent, one was poor and one was down right awful. Which meant when the excellent one left we were fecked. If either stewart or finnigan had turned out decent we'd have been top 6 more than likely . Same happened the year after when thomson left and he brought in mcbride and bradley who were both murder. Once he'd signed a dumpling like stewart and stokes was leaving he couldnt afford to screw up with finnigan but unfortunately he did.

Yes, but do you think that Hughes (who of course didn't have the benefit of hindsight) did the wrong thing in signing Finnigan, at the time, given his scoring record? 

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes, but do you think that Hughes (who of course didn't have the benefit of hindsight) did the wrong thing in signing Finnigan, at the time, given his scoring record? 

I think if we had had another decent more experienced striker at the club at the time then finnigan would have made more sense.  The fact that we were putting all our eggs in the basket that was Carl finnigan who had never played a first team game in his nelly puff before it was a big gamble which ultimately didn't come off. To me if your signing him then you need to be signing two strikers as john Stewart's your only other option if you dont.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

19 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Never let us down in the Prem either.

The one full season he played for you in the top flight you were rock bottom and he only played 19 times in your championship win so I wouldnt say that was instrumental in a 36 game season.