The Falkirk FC Thread

Stokes was a phenomenon for us for goals scored but, (here it comes), his goals came in clusters and also, didn’t generally result in the biggest necessity of all - more points. Great player for us, lots of goals but imagine if his 14 league goals had been more spread out, I think we’d definitely finish top 6 that season.

49 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Do you not maybe think that Stokes (who we got very, very lucky with) may have been very difficult to replace with similar quality? Not too many strikers around, that we could realistically expect to sign, that could have got near Stokes' quality.

As mentioned, Finnigan looked good on paper, don't think you can blame Yogi for having a punt on him.

Definitely you're never going to replace him a guy that scored 14 goals with the same quality but you have to do better than finnigan who ended up with 3 that season. He also signed John Stewart that season who was utterly dire and was never going to step up to the plate when stokes left..  It's like houston when vaulks left. You cant get the same quality but  to replace him with pish like john rankin is feckin criminal.

48 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Stokes was a phenomenon for us for goals scored but, (here it comes), his goals came in clusters and also, didn’t generally result in the biggest necessity of all - more points. Great player for us, lots of goals but imagine if his 14 league goals had been more spread out, I think we’d definitely finish top 6 that season.

We were in pole position till he left then as I said we only won 2 out the next 14 and that was that.

I had loads of programmes, probably about 20 odd years worth, mainly away ones plus every fanzine and in a moment of madness threw them all out, wish I'd kept or donated them now. Also had a pile of tops from the late 70s onwards that were at my parents home for years, went round for a visit one day and all my old clothes including tops had been thrown out, one was a player's top thrown into the crowd, I was almost in tears that day!

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Fellow forum contributors. Something to consider !

These fanzines were brilliant and an alternative to the bland offerings in the official programme offered on matchdays.

I had a collection of programmes and fanzines from every match I attended from the late 60's onward. Falkirk other teams games I went to in Scotland and England plus internationals.

They were a good reference tool and brought back memories of the games I watched and with who.

I made a decision that I would donate my collection to ' Footballing Memories ' This charity is involved in helping people suffering from Alzheimar's disease.

When I contacted the organisation to make my donation. I had a humbling conversation with one of the charity organisers. Who informed my that literature like that can flick the switch on a human being for a short while. They know who the are - they know their family - they can recollect the game, who they went with and the pub they went for a pint after the game. For a short while somebody is dragged back for what must be a frightening and confusing place. They come back and are normal, then sadly the switch is turned off. But for that short while ! Loved ones take great comfort when that happens and means so much to them. The charity have a website where you can tell a memorable story. These in turn are read to the patients and makes a difference.

So if you have a programme collection gathering dust that you have not looked at or only pick one up now and again. Consider donating them to this worthy cause.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

On the mentions of programmes found this one in Falkirk V Morton  26th Sept 1998 few bits on that stick out and must have been shortly after the MSG took over funny how their opinions seem to have changed over time.

image.png.ccf206d8ae32139c7062ef3c9e3204e6.png

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Paul Hutton.

That's him ! did a lot of good articles and was quality journalism he produced. Made a small contribution with a few articles during the fanzine era and found his advise and editing of my ramblings helpful. You never know he may be among us on this forum !

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We were in pole position till he left then as I said we only won 2 out the next 14 and that was that.

Like all great players it was what he brought to the players round him that helped contribute to the team success.

When he moved on the players he left behind suffered.

36 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

How`s things BB, keeping the old camera well oiled I hope??😷

Fine for me G. Being in isolation doesn't bother me as that's my preferred state :bag but like you I'm badly missing the fitba. Not just Saturdays but seeing everyone around the club. All are furloughed bar KK, one groundsman and the lady in finance. Saw two out the three at a job on Friday and KK again at another one this morning. Have also met a few folk as I walk around the district for my daily exercise. Surprised I haven't bumped into you and Ellie yet. 

9 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fine for me G. Being in isolation doesn't bother me as that's my preferred state :bag but like you I'm badly missing the fitba. Not just Saturdays but seeing everyone around the club. All are furloughed bar KK, one groundsman and the lady in finance. Saw two out the three at a job on Friday and KK again at another one this morning. Have also met a few folk as I walk around the district for my daily exercise. Surprised I haven't bumped into you and Ellie yet. 

Kk is the best asset we've got at the club. Should be doing everything to keep him here.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Definitely you're never going to replace him a guy that scored 14 goals with the same quality but you have to do better than finnigan who ended up with 3 that season. He also signed John Stewart that season who was utterly dire and was never going to step up to the plate when stokes left..  It's like houston when vaulks left. You cant get the same quality but  to replace him with pish like john rankin is feckin criminal.

That is where planned succession is part of a managers skill set. Do you get a like for like player or change the system. It was always on the cards Vaulks - Alston and Sibbald were going to move on and replacing the best balanced and effective midfield we have had for years was going to be a big ask.

Houston should have had the signings already made the season before to feed them into the squad. But for reasons , constraints or whatever it did not happen. 

15 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That is where planned succession is part of a managers skill set. Do you get a like for like player or change the system. It was always on the cards Vaulks - Alston and Sibbald were going to move on and replacing the best balanced and effective midfield we have had for years was going to be a big ask.

Houston should have had the signings already made the season before to feed them into the squad. But for reasons , constraints or whatever it did not happen. 

He had the chance to bring back liam craig but for some reason didn't. Instead he's spent another 5 years in the top flight with St Johnstone. Another opportunity missed I'd say.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He had the chance to bring back liam craig but for some reason didn't. Instead he's spent another 5 years in the top flight with St Johnstone. Another opportunity missed I'd say.

Could not believe it when we let him go in the first place - cracking player who was good for a regular goal from midfield and putting himself about. Falkirk managers did this now and again that had fans scratching their heads thinks ' What's he done that for ! ' Somner , Ford and Robinson are good examples.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Stick to the same one every day. I head down past Carron roundabout go over the main road bridge over the carron, take the road to the kelpies. I used to go as far as the new bridge and back up via Allan`s motors but I only go as far as langlees park and double back the way I came. It means Ellie`s off leash for longer.

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That`s one that mystified me as well. I expected him to come back after a loan spell at St Johnstone. Good player and a good lad. Wallner wasn`t interested, wouldn`t train properly and didn`t listen to instructions. That`s why he went.

Loads of 94/95 highlights posted up on FTV. Kills me that I know I was a fan then, can remember for example the signings of Stevie Kirk and Mo Johnston etc, but I dont remember specifics of matches I was at etc

Does anyone remember a game from the early to mid 90s at Brockville where an opposition goalkeeper was taking a load of stick for coming on with his top on outside in? I think it may have been Lindsay Hamilton.... 

I have an inkling that might have been my first game, or if not its was very early on for me. 

Edited by Bairnardo

9 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

That`s one that mystified me as well. I expected him to come back after a loan spell at St Johnstone. Good player and a good lad. Wallner wasn`t interested, wouldn`t train properly and didn`t listen to instructions. That`s why he went.

You've got to ask why wallner wasnt interested if that was the case though.  Guy had a great record before and after he was at Falkirk. Why could Hughes not get the best out of him when other managers could? Something not right there.

Edited by Shadwell Dog