The Falkirk FC Thread

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Remember a story in Rupert's Roar or One F in Falkirk fanzine about Yogi. We were winning at Dundee and under the cosh for the last few minutes.

Hughes went of for a changing header and went down like a ton of bricks. Players from both sides and fan's think. Hughes is down must be serious ! Ref comes to the same conclusion and blows the whistle. Concerned physio runs on and the Falkirk players all crowd round. Physio asks what is it Yogi ? Yogi replies ' Got and itch between my shoulder blades, could you give it a scratch ' Everybody is creasing up but trying to hold it together. As some fake physio assorted rubbing , spraying, manipulation and scratching the imaginary itch are carried out. Ran down the clock and broke the momentum.

These Fanzines were good reading ! There was a guy Hutten involved that wrote some good stuff.

Falkirk unofficial was the first and the best. Brilliant read.

Remember a story in Rupert's Roar or One F in Falkirk fanzine about Yogi. We were winning at Dundee and under the cosh for the last few minutes.
Hughes went of for a changing header and went down like a ton of bricks. Players from both sides and fan's think. Hughes is down must be serious ! Ref comes to the same conclusion and blows the whistle. Concerned physio runs on and the Falkirk players all crowd round. Physio asks what is it Yogi ? Yogi replies ' Got and itch between my shoulder blades, could you give it a scratch ' Everybody is creasing up but trying to hold it together. As some fake physio assorted rubbing , spraying, manipulation and scratching the imaginary itch are carried out. Ran down the clock and broke the momentum.
These Fanzines were good reading ! There was a guy Hutten involved that wrote some good stuff.

Paul Hutton.

16 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Met Yogi on a few occasions, lived and breathed the club. Personally enjoyed the time he was here, however always had issues with one or two players he signed and then never played. I’m no insider but heard from a really good contact that one or two people did the dirty on him ( whatever that is in football) Many stories and rumours about him being big headed, and sometimes difficult to deal with, I always found him a decent, honest and one of the most hard working guys I’ve met.

Ask anyone who was involved with us during his time, worked seven days a week , unlike messers/imposters PM & RM who couldn’t wait to get away at midday ( or in RM case worked a three morning week )

I think his pig headedness at times meant we frustratingly just missed out on things like the top 6.  Guys like wallner and theobald were more than good enough to play for falkirk but never kicked a ball. Guys like liam craig and michael higdon were pushed out and went on to excel elsewhere. Even guys like aafjes to me shouldve been a mainstay in the side but didn't play anywhere near as many games as he should have. Others came in like paddy cregg and went backwards. Was a successful time but also a frustrating one.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think his pig headedness at times meant we frustratingly just missed out on things like the top 6.  Guys like wallner and theobald were more than good enough to play for falkirk but never kicked a ball. Guys like liam craig and michael higdon were pushed out and went on to excel elsewhere. Even guys like aafjes to me shouldve been a mainstay in the side but didn't play anywhere near as many games as he should have. Others came in like paddy cregg and went backwards. Was a successful time but also a frustrating one.

Liam Craig was a strange one to make way for the older signings. A blot in Hughes copybook for sure.

I think Cregg went backwards as soon as the Celtic link came about and Hughes basically poured scorn on the idea of him going there. That was poor man management there from Hughes.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

Matt Glennon was another one one minute he was at the club next he had been released and if i mind right signed for St Johnstone. there were too many that seemed to fall out of favour and end up moving on.

24 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Matt Glennon was another one one minute he was at the club next he had been released and if i mind right signed for St Johnstone. there were too many that seemed to fall out of favour and end up moving on.

The stevie Thomson situation was a strange one too. Something didn't smell right there. Couldnt wait to get out and sign for Brighton stating family issues only to come back to scotland less than a year later and sign for st mirren again stating family issues. I thought he was a cracking wee player and losing him that january put another nail in our top 6 aspirations.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

You could arguably say that January 2008 was a real watershed for the club. Thomson left. Latapy was only being used more and more sparingly. After a really good December, beating Killie at the start of January and a solid draw against Aberdeen, the horrendous defeat to Gretna and subsequent poor run when top 6 was in our grasp. There might be more things but I can’t remember.

Thomson was somebody who kept things ticking over in the middle of the park and losing someone like that is always a big blow.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The stevie Thomson situation was a strange one too. Something didn't smell right there. Couldnt wait to get out and sign for Brighton stating family issues only to come back to scotland less than a year later and sign for st mirren again stating family issues. I thought he was a cracking wee player and losing him that january put another nail in our top 6 aspirations.

Great wee player, I would love to see his type in our current midfield...apparently not good enough for certain sections of our fanbase though!!

SThomsonvCeltich5.jpg

10 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Falkirk unofficial was the first and the best. Brilliant read.

Fellow forum contributors. Something to consider !

These fanzines were brilliant and an alternative to the bland offerings in the official programme offered on matchdays.

I had a collection of programmes and fanzines from every match I attended from the late 60's onward. Falkirk other teams games I went to in Scotland and England plus internationals.

They were a good reference tool and brought back memories of the games I watched and with who.

I made a decision that I would donate my collection to ' Footballing Memories ' This charity is involved in helping people suffering from Alzheimar's disease.

When I contacted the organisation to make my donation. I had a humbling conversation with one of the charity organisers. Who informed my that literature like that can flick the switch on a human being for a short while. They know who the are - they know their family - they can recollect the game, who they went with and the pub they went for a pint after the game. For a short while somebody is dragged back for what must be a frightening and confusing place. They come back and are normal, then sadly the switch is turned off. But for that short while ! Loved ones take great comfort when that happens and means so much to them. The charity have a website where you can tell a memorable story. These in turn are read to the patients and makes a difference.

So if you have a programme collection gathering dust that you have not looked at or only pick one up now and again. Consider donating them to this worthy cause.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

9 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

You could arguably say that January 2008 was a real watershed for the club. Thomson left. Latapy was only being used more and more sparingly. After a really good December, beating Killie at the start of January and a solid draw against Aberdeen, the horrendous defeat to Gretna and subsequent poor run when top 6 was in our grasp. There might be more things but I can’t remember.

Thomson was somebody who kept things ticking over in the middle of the park and losing someone like that is always a big blow.

As I said previously it happened virtually every season under hughes great up till the turn of the year then fecking awful till the split when things picked up again against the other bottom 5. Poor january windows certainly was the main issue for me. Losing the likes of stokes  and thomson and replacing them with the likes of finnigan and McBride is only going to end up one way I'm afraid. 

Billy Clarke was another strange one. Brought up on loan from Ipswich and hardly kicked a ball but was good enough to play many a game in the english championship after he returned. Strange.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Great wee player, I would love to see his type in our current midfield...apparently not good enough for certain sections of our fanbase though!!

SThomsonvCeltich5.jpg

Great wee player who was excellent at getting beyond the strikers a wee bit like Eddie may used to. Remember a game at st mirren we won 5 1 and he and pedro ripped them a new one that day. Decent side that.

Team 1 Tim Krul
  2 Dean Holden
  3 Gerard Aafjes
  4 Kenny Milne
  5 Darren Barr
  6 Patrick Cregg
  7 Scott Arfield
  8 Steven Thomson
  9 Graham Barrett
  10 Michael Higdon
  11 Pedro Moutinho

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Great wee player who was excellent at getting beyond the strikers a wee bit like Eddie may used to. Remember a game at st mirren we won 5 1 and he and pedro ripped them a new one that day. Decent side that.

Team 1 Tim Krul
  2 Dean Holden
  3 Gerard Aafjes
  4 Kenny Milne
  5 Darren Barr
  6 Patrick Cregg
  7 Scott Arfield
  8 Steven Thomson
  9 Graham Barrett
  10 Michael Higdon
  11 Pedro Moutinho

Going to be a rainy day in hell before we get back to having a team like that.

MHigdon scoresvGretna3.jpg

11 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Going to be a rainy day in hell before we get back to having a team like that.

MHigdon scoresvGretna3.jpg

Was another case of what might have been that season unfortunately.  All the hard work in the first half of the season was ruined by swapping Thomson for the awful McBride and Bradley we only won 2 games out of our next 14 and top 6 went out the window.

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As I said previously it happened virtually every season under hughes great up till the turn of the year then fecking awful till the split when things picked up again against the other bottom 5. Poor january windows certainly was the main issue for me. Losing the likes of stokes  and thomson and replacing them with the likes of finnigan and McBride is only going to end up one way I'm afraid. 

Billy Clarke was another strange one. Brought up on loan from Ipswich and hardly kicked a ball but was good enough to play many a game in the english championship after he returned. Strange.

Don’t think we lost Stokes, we were fortunate to have him in the first place. As said before, Finnegan looked a decent signing on paper.

It was always a possibility for us to have a barren run but the extent of it was disappointing. A couple of defeats, fair enough, but get a win next. Too often it would be something like LLDLDWLDDDLWL.

6 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Don’t think we lost Stokes, we were fortunate to have him in the first place. As said before, Finnegan looked a decent signing on paper.

It was always a possibility for us to have a barren run but the extent of it was disappointing. A couple of defeats, fair enough, but get a win next. Too often it would be something like LLDLDWLDDDLWL.

Stokes moved on nothing we could do. Finnigan as a replacement though was just not near good enough. Cost us a league cup semi too as we were dire without stokes in the cup semi against killie and finnigan missed our best chance. As I just said the next season we only won 2 out of 14 come the turn of the year. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was another case of what might have been that season unfortunately.  All the hard work in the first half of the season was ruined by swapping Thomson for the awful McBride and Bradley we only won 2 games out of our next 14 and top 6 went out the window.

Don’t think you can have a go at Bradley as he only started once. Too poor to ruin it. McBride was the start of the average midfield  journeyman playing for us. 

Couldn’t Riera have stepped up a bit more??

1 minute ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Don’t think you can have a go at Bradley as he only started once. Too poor to ruin it. McBride was the start of the average midfield  journeyman playing for us. 

Couldn’t Riera have stepped up a bit more??

Bradley was a waste of cash never in a million years good enough for the scottish premier. Rivera was another player who shouldve played far more games given his quality.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Bradley was a waste of cash never in a million years good enough for the scottish premier. Rivera was another player who shouldve played far more games given his quality.

Cregg played 36 times that season, it was next season that he became more a squad player. It seems he missed Thomson a lot second half of the season then had to put up with McBride for the rest of the season. Not the best mindset to have.

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Stokes moved on nothing we could do. Finnigan as a replacement though was just not near good enough. Cost us a league cup semi too as we were dire without stokes in the cup semi against killie and finnigan missed our best chance. As I just said the next season we only won 2 out of 14 come the turn of the year. 

Do you not maybe think that Stokes (who we got very, very lucky with) may have been very difficult to replace with similar quality? Not too many strikers around, that we could realistically expect to sign, that could have got near Stokes' quality.

As mentioned, Finnigan looked good on paper, don't think you can blame Yogi for having a punt on him.

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Remember a game at st mirren we won 5 1 and he and pedro ripped them a new one that day. Decent side that.

Team 1 Tim Krul
  2 Dean Holden
  3 Gerard Aafjes
  4 Kenny Milne
  5 Darren Barr
  6 Patrick Cregg
  7 Scott Arfield
  8 Steven Thomson
  9 Graham Barrett
  10 Michael Higdon
  11 Pedro Moutinho

Remember it well, I got a thorough soaking that day but it was worth it. Goals from Pedro... 2 from Barrett.. a cracker from distance from Thomson and one from Finnigan I`m sure.

JHughesvSt Mirren(a)7.jpg