The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There was more than just that. He was an arse when he came back with hibs. There was just no need for it. 

In his last season he was given 600k more of a wage bill on the previous year when we came 7th and we ended up only a few minutes away from relegation.  The financial fallout saw poor old eddie may who should never have got the job start with two hands tied behind his back as his budget was slashed and a lot of it was taken up by the dross hughes had left on huge wages like bob, McNamara and mccann. It was no surprise things didn't go well ffs.

Fair enough, I get the financial stuff your saying. It was something that did tarnish his reputation on the playing front to an extent. However, I don’t get the - he said this, he did that, stuff. The “your clubs fucked” is open for debate, it seems like it was aimed at the board over a poor appointment decision. What’s the rest of it though? How was he an arse when he came back with Hibs?

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was yes. And i'm sure if hed said to man u your clubs fucked now when he left he wouldnt be welcomed back with open arms every other saturday whether he was right or not.

I`m not quite getting your fixation with the quote...which he did say by the way, I know because I worked at the club during his time there and I`m one of the people he said it to. It wasn`t said in the way you are portraying it (like sour grapes) It was genuine concern because in his opinion Eddie couldn`t do the job. It turns out his concerns were founded.

6 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

I`m not quite getting your fixation with the quote...which he did say by the way, I know because I worked at the club during his time there and I`m one of the people he said it to. It wasn`t said in the way you are portraying it (like sour grapes) It was genuine concern because in his opinion Eddie couldn`t do the job. It turns out his concerns were founded.

There was more than just that though.  His behaviour when he returned wasnt that of a guy returning to a club where he had been successful and held lots of affection for if you ask me.Eddie couldnt do the job and also had to work with a massively slashed budget after the huge increase in the budget the year before failed to produce the goods on the park and we ended up further from the top 6 than we had the year before spending 600k less of a budget.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There was more than just that though.  His behaviour when he returned wasnt that of a guy returning to a club where he had been successful and held lots of affection for if you ask me.Eddie couldnt do the job and also had to work with a massively slashed budget after the huge increase in the budget the year before failed to produce the goods on the park and we ended up further from the top 6 than we had the year before spending 600k less of a budget.

Was he maybe just giving back what he was getting from the main stand when he came back? All done with tongue in cheek?

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I worked with him for the whole time he was at the Club and I`m still in touch with him today. I know what went on in the last few months of his time there but there`s no way I`m going to put that stuff up on a forum. Plus I`ve absolutely no intention of trying to change your opinion or anybody else`s of his track record. I`m just trying to clarify a few points and redress the balance a bit. He loved his time at the club both as a player and as Manager and it still means a lot to him, I speak to many players from that period who consider it the happiest time of their career.

39 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

I worked with him for the whole time he was at the Club and I`m still in touch with him today. I know what went on in the last few months of his time there but there`s no way I`m going to put that stuff up on a forum. Plus I`ve absolutely no intention of trying to change your opinion or anybody else`s of his track record. I`m just trying to clarify a few points and redress the balance a bit. He loved his time at the club both as a player and as Manager and it still means a lot to him, I speak to many players from that period who consider it the happiest time of their career.

He was quite a frustrating manager. Signed some very good players but some never got a kick whilst others were let go and moved on when they were easily good enough to play for the club.  I go back to his inability to get much out the team in the second half of a season. Was very frustrating to see us miss out on top 6 places when they were there for the taking but our form between january and april was simply awful every season.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was quite a frustrating manager. Signed some very good players but some never got a kick whilst others were let go and moved on when they were easily good enough to play for the club.  I go back to his inability to get much out the team in the second half of a season. Was very frustrating to see us miss out on top 6 places when they were there for the taking but our form between january and april was simply awful every season.

As I said, I`m not trying to change your opinion which you are totally entitled to and which some others will no doubt share.

Likewise I`m not pretending everything was perfect but personally I`d give anything to have these days back, perfect or not, after the crap we`ve had to endure most of the time since (especially over the last 2 years)

20 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

As I said, I`m not trying to change your opinion which you are totally entitled to and which some others will no doubt share.

Likewise I`m not pretending everything was perfect but personally I`d give anything to have these days back, perfect or not, after the crap we`ve had to endure most of the time since (especially over the last 2 years)

His recruitment was certainly a lot better than anyone since well certainly up to that last season when he changed tact for some crazy reason.  

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye jeffries turned him into a striker at berwick and then turned him from a striker to eventually a centre half at falkirk. 

I can say i was there when he scored his 1st goal for Falkirk,he looked relieved that he at last scored.Not long after that he was ,moved back and the rest is history.

Edited by keithgy

3 minutes ago, keithgy said:

I can say i was there when he scored his 1st goal for Falkirk,he looked relieved that he at last scored.Not long after that he was ,moved back and the rest is history.

My recollections of him as a striker was his diabolical shooting. Mind a shot nearly killing one of the ball boys at the hope street end in one of his first appearances. Certainly rarely threatened the goal.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

My recollections of him as a striker was his diabolical shooting. Mind a shot nearly killing one of the ball boys at the hope street end in one of his first appearances. Certainly rarely threatened the goal.

He scored his 1st goal at Brechin and if i remember correctly it was from 4 yards.

50 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

2 0 win was it not.

Remember a story in Rupert's Roar or One F in Falkirk fanzine about Yogi. We were winning at Dundee and under the cosh for the last few minutes.

Hughes went of for a changing header and went down like a ton of bricks. Players from both sides and fan's think. Hughes is down must be serious ! Ref comes to the same conclusion and blows the whistle. Concerned physio runs on and the Falkirk players all crowd round. Physio asks what is it Yogi ? Yogi replies ' Got and itch between my shoulder blades, could you give it a scratch ' Everybody is creasing up but trying to hold it together. As some fake physio assorted rubbing , spraying, manipulation and scratching the imaginary itch are carried out. Ran down the clock and broke the momentum.

These Fanzines were good reading ! There was a guy Hutten involved that wrote some good stuff.