The Falkirk FC Thread

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Remember Irvines first game at Alloa and the inkling of the goods times coming with Alex T team.

Then his winner against East Fife that got us promoted.

McAllister on the right Grant on the Left and big Irvine in the middle. There was an under appreciated John Jobson behind them that did a power of work without the ball, goodness the guy put in a shift.

Irvine only managed two goals for us that season  which was a poor return considering crunchie and houstie both got double figures. Think his best total was 6 or something in a season for us. Thought he played better out wide with mccoy in the middle banging the goals in for fun.

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Irvine only managed two goals for us that season  which was a poor return considering crunchie and houstie both got double figures. Think his best total was 6 or something in a season for us. Thought he played better out wide with mccoy in the middle banging the goals in for fun.

One of these forward lines where players could improvise in the position they found themselves and work hard for each other.

I was a ball attendant in the 1995 end of season game against Aberdeen, unluckily for me I was punted to the away end and remember getting pelted with coins thrown from the Aberdeen fans.

At the time I didn't really understand how awful that was given I'd done absolutely nothing to wind up the away fans and was about 8 years old but was grateful for the extra pocket money.

56 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

Fairly sure the promotion game v East Fife finished 2-2, so the Alan Irvine goal wasn't a winner.

Jobson's brother Richard was the singer with The Skids I think.

Yep, we had to win or draw and i think East Fife had to win always remember our last ten minutes we had a tendency to drop the guard and if i mind right it was backs to the wall from us.

My first ever pitch invasion

57 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

Fairly sure the promotion game v East Fife finished 2-2, so the Alan Irvine goal wasn't a winner.

Could have been - but I remember their second goal then head in my hands thinking - here it goes again. Falkirk loosing the plot kicking the ball anywhere and the longest 10 minutes in my life till the final whistle. Agony - Relief then Joy. Remember walking up Hope Street thinking - this is not good for my health !

Think we can all agree - It's not easy being a Falkirk supporter !

1 hour ago, Oscar P said:

Definitely a draw , and an extremely tense ending.

11 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

8th October 1986. The most disgraceful display by individuals I have ever seen on a pitch. They were not footballers they were cheats.

Everything nasty about the game they had in abundance - spitting - punching/kicking off the ball - simulating injury - diving - claiming for everything - pressurising referee in groups that switched round every 10 minutes. Not off the cuff stuff it was too co ordinated and could only have come from the training ground.

It was the nearest I have ever seen Brockville having a riot.

Did not like that mob anyway but after that game I made a solemn oath to myself. That I would loath and despise that football club with all my passion for the rest of my life. It is with great pride that I abide by it to this day.

The Alex Ferguson effect.

We complete the 90's with another double act - two players with a big impact for us.

91-90 - 123 Appearances

Alex Ferguson: centre forward. 50 goals. A great goal return and never a dull moment between his debut a month before the end of the 60's, and his final appearance in April 1973. Elbows and rammies, Cunningham, "everybody out!".

Scott Arfield: midfielder. 16 goals. Stylish and confident. Unused sub a couple of times in 06/07, he was a fixture from the next season on until the horror of relegation in 2010. Did well for us and we got $$$ so it was good to see him have a good career before he sullied it by signing for them.

May be misremembering this, but in a game against the Shire at Brockville, we won 6-0 with Fergie getting a hat trick. The big talking point though was Fergie also had a hat trick of disallowed goals in that same game.

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We complete the 90's with another double act - two players with a big impact for us.

91-90 - 123 Appearances

Alex Ferguson: centre forward. 50 goals. A great goal return and never a dull moment between his debut a month before the end of the 60's, and his final appearance in April 1973. Elbows and rammies, Cunningham, "everybody out!".

Scott Arfield: midfielder. 16 goals. Stylish and confident. Unused sub a couple of times in 06/07, he was a fixture from the next season on until the horror of relegation in 2010. Did well for us and we got $$$ so it was good to see him have a good career before he sullied it by signing for them.

Abiding memory of Fergie was the Falkirk V Glasgow Rangers game just a few days before the Ibrox disaster.

Was in the enclosure beside the Rangers dugout when Fergie scored. Waddell and Wallace were sitting with faces like thunder incandescent with rage.  The goal was scored at the railway end and Fergie ran right across to their dugout. Hold the elbow and swings the arm in the ' get it up you gesture ' and said - How's that for a f***ing reject then. 

It was a great xmas present beating them - but I have often though of the poor souls at that game, and I could well have stood beside them. That sadly lost their lives at Ibrox days later.

15 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes.

He only played 19 times for us though so just misses out on a place on the list 😉

He was one of these players the others in the team appreciated more than the fans. Tackled, marked covered space for others pressurised opposition players on the ball so they always played it under pressure. Not creative but I always appreciated effort in a player as well as skill and vision.

11 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

The Alex Ferguson effect.

Think it was Archie Knox in the dugout, but get your point. They have been like that for as long as I can remember. They are the only club that every other teams supporter cheers when a goal is scored against them. Everything nasty in the game neatly packaged into one club.

To make my point they were even worse than Hearts at cheating - and that is saying something !

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

May be misremembering this, but in a game against the Shire at Brockville, we won 6-0 with Fergie getting a hat trick. The big talking point though was Fergie also had a hat trick of disallowed goals in that same game.

Think that was the 68-69 Stirlingshire cup final. Can anybody clarify ?

Another game to remember the 2-2 game at Ibrox when we had Budgie in goals if i mind right we were unlucky not to have won that game referee was never going to let us win at Castle Greyskull. 

51 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We beat them 6-1 in a league game at FP in December '69. Fergie did indeed get a hat trick.

(68/69 Stirlingshire Cup we lost 1-3 to ES in round 1)

Fergie didn't debut with us until November 69, as I said previously HSW.

Thanks for that. You are indeed a font of knowledge ! stay safe.