The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You could be right ! Was it maybe his debut when we cuffed Hibs when Cunningham turned down the Scotland job ? Another great midweek game.

I am right!

I just said his debut was in a league game against Aberdeen at the tail end of the previous season!

The Hibs game was 7 days after the Aberdeen cup game. WC had turned down the Scotland job in the meantime. We'd also played and beaten Kilmarnock in the first league match of the season. The only LC match Tom McLeod played in 1971 was the QF 2nd lag at Easter Road.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I am right!

I just said his debut was in a league game against Aberdeen at the tail end of the previous season!

The Hibs game was 7 days after the Aberdeen cup game. WC had turned down the Scotland job in the meantime. We'd also played and beaten Kilmarnock in the first league match of the season. The only LC match Tom McLeod played in 1971 was the QF 2nd lag at Easter Road.

Thanks for the correction - appreciated ! 

A couple of pictures from Brockville's Main Stand, credit Steve Finan.

HSW referred to the stand's occupants hammering their feet off the wooden floor, which made quite a racket.

In the other shot, those stair blocks in the south enclosure were where I spent many happy/miserable afternoons. I saw a comment that said they were built as a response to the Bradford fire disaster. Is this true?

94772547_1300594553463394_1253217976040030208_n.jpg

94779687_1300567090132807_1742197966875131904_n.jpg

53 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was that in 1995 when they won at Brockville to stay up? Knts.

I think thats sounds about right going back a good bit but if i recall right did Davie Weir no deck him ?

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

HSW referred to the stand's occupants hammering their feet off the wooden floor, which made quite a racket.

In the other shot, those stair blocks in the south enclosure were where I spent many happy/miserable afternoons. I saw a comment that said they were built as a response to the Bradford fire disaster. Is this true?

94779687_1300567090132807_1742197966875131904_n.jpg

Ref the stairs yes, it was to make it compliant with having another exit from the stand should the worst happen due to Bradfords main stand going on fire If i recall back we played Bradford in a pre season friendly after the disaster.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

94779687_1300567090132807_1742197966875131904_n.jpgof the planking

The planking and wooden benching were purchased by a Canadian company because of the width , thickness and long length. They were incorporated into these big high quality wooden lodges they build there. Wonder if they got the generations of Bovril and grease stains from the pies out of the timbers ?

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was that in 1995 when they won at Brockville to stay up? Knts.

We were poor that day having given our all over the past few weeks pushing for a euro spot. Team didn't turn up which was disappointing as I'd have loved to see them going down.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We were poor that day having given our all over the past few weeks pushing for a euro spot. Team didn't turn up which was disappointing as I'd have loved to see them going down.

Yeah, a disappointing end to a brilliant season. Let's never speak of the next one.

Into the 60's this time.

94 - 121 Appearances

Charlie Smith: debuted at the end of the '66 season. Midfielder, 12 goals. Played over 2 spells, finishing up at the end of the 74/75 season.

Has the distinction of being Falkirk's first ever substitute! Came on in a League Cup match at East End Park in 1966.

Yeah, a disappointing end to a brilliant season. Let's never speak of the next one.
When they reappeared at Brockville & didn't blink in sticking us down?

59 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Into the 60's this time.

94 - 121 Appearances

Charlie Smith: debuted at the end of the '66 season. Midfielder, 12 goals. Played over 2 spells, finishing up at the end of the 74/75 season.

Has the distinction of being Falkirk's first ever substitute! Came on in a League Cup match at East End Park in 1966.

Yes - local lad known as Chic.

Never quite fulfilled his promise.

93-92 - 122 Appearances

Another pair.

First, someone who played from towards the end of WWII until leaving for Bradford in 1950. (Only post war stats included)

Jock Whyte: full back. 0 goals.

Next, a forward who I must admit I never quite got, but Liverpool signed him, and he played for their 1st XI, at a time when they were comparatively of a similar strength to today. Must be loads of stories still quite fresh. I know Dundee United fans had two Alan Irvines on their books at the same time, and knew our one by the disparaging term "The Log".

Alan Irvine: forward. 1983-1987. 19 goals. 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Next, a forward who I must admit I never quite got, but Liverpool signed him, and he played for their 1st XI, at a time when they were comparatively of a similar strength to today. Must be loads of stories still quite fresh. I know Dundee United fans had two Alan Irvines on their books at the same time, and knew our one by the disparaging term "The Log".

Have good memories of him when he played for us seemed to go off the grid when he left us never really heard from him ever again in football always wondered which one it was that went into coaching or one or the other one.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

93-92 - 122 Appearances

Another pair.

First, someone who played from towards the end of WWII until leaving for Bradford in 1950. (Only post war stats included)

Jock Whyte: full back. 0 goals.

Alan Irvines main threat was his pace. Really was electric and when we had him, gerry mccoy and crunchie up front along with houstie as well it was a pretty potent attack. Never scored the number of goals he really should have though but every one he did score was a cracker usually. By the time he came back to scotland that  pace had gone and he was never the same player. Sure it was AT that signed him off us.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Into the 60's this time.

94 - 121 Appearances

Charlie, as you say never reached his full potential, he liked his night life too much. True story, the night Partick beat us in the League Cup Semi Final, Charlie and Bobby Gray, we’re allowed to leave Alexander’s at 4.00 O’ Clock to meet up with the Partick team at Hampden, meanwhile, we had been away in a swanky hotel from the Saturday, falling out and arguing about bonuses, we just didn’t turn up.

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Alan Irvines main threat was his pace. Really was electric and when we had him, gerry mccoy and crunchie up front along with houstie as well it was a pretty potent attack. Never scored the number of goals he really should have though but every one he did score was a cracker usually. By the time he came back to scotland that  pace had gone and he was never the same player.

Remember Irvines first game at Alloa and the inkling of the goods times coming with Alex T team.

Then his winner against East Fife that got us promoted.

McAllister on the right Grant on the Left and big Irvine in the middle. There was an under appreciated John Jobson behind them that did a power of work without the ball, goodness the guy put in a shift.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

Alan Irvine and big Crawford Baptie on the park at the same time made for some spectacular moments. Think they both played in the 6-4 game against Forfar.

27 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Remember Irvines first game at Alloa and the inkling of the goods times coming with Alex T team.

Then his winner against East Fife that got us promoted.

McAllister on the right Grant on the Left and big Irvine in the middle. There was an under appreciated John Jobson behind them that did a power of work without the ball, goodness the guy put in a shift.

Forgot about Jobson.

Did he come from Meadowbank?