The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

The reason we ended up signing dross like Alex Harris in Houston’s last season was because he was promised extra funds a few months prior to the summer and yet when the summer came his budget was reduced rather than extended. He was just another who was sold down the river by the board without a paddle. As BPM says, if we have Houston the money we gave the two muppets after him we wouldn’t be where we are just now.

The budget excuse doesnt hold water as there is no way we had a budget that should have us rock bottom of the league. Struggling to win it perhaps( and then he wouldnt have lost his job) although st mirren still had a smaller wage than us and won the league at a canter.That plus loy wouldve been on wages higher than any player in the league outside dundee united and harris wouldnt be on peanuts having left hibs and yet we were behind part timers like dumbarton and struggling to get ahead of brechin one of the worst sides ever to be in the league. At the agm that season it was highlighted that we had the second biggest budget in the league and that was before hartley did anything really. So second biggest budget and yet rock bottom I'm afraid that is a sackable offence as is signing alex harris never mind your budget.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

50 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The budget excuse doesnt hold water as there is no way we had a budget that should have us rock bottom of the league. Struggling to win it perhaps( and then he wouldnt have lost his job) although st mirren still had a smaller wage than us and won the league at a canter.That plus loy wouldve been on wages higher than any player in the league outside dundee united and harris wouldnt be on peanuts having left hibs and yet we were behind part timers like dumbarton and struggling to get ahead of brechin one of the worst sides ever to be in the league. At the agm that season it was highlighted that we had the second biggest budget in the league and that was before hartley did anything really. So second biggest budget and yet rock bottom I'm afraid that is a sackable offence as is signing alex harris never mind your budget.

You still seething ??

36 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You still seething ??

No why?  People seem to argue things on here with people they actually agree with for some reason.  The original  point I raised was that I thought it was silly people watching a game against hibs and then suddenly feeling ashamed that they called for Houston's head and saying that in hindsight he shouldn't have been fired.   Next thing you know I'm getting people slating me for blaming houston for our current predicament and that I always thought he was a shit manager which is complete tosh.  Houstie had two great seasons in the league and an excellent scottish cup run. His second season was remarkable when we came second only losing two games. However , his poor record in the transfer market saw the team decline from season to season culminating in us being rock bottom of a league we should be competing to win.  That shouldn't tarnish his record in his first 3 seasons nor should his record in his first 3 seasons cloud our judgement when looking at why he got the boot.  He is in no way responsible for our current predicament nor is he a shit manager. Simple really but some folk seem to want to highlight individual signings like loy which were not the one and only reason why he got punted.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No why?  People seem to argue things on here with people they actually agree with for some reason.  The original  point I raised was that I thought it was silly people watching a game against hibs and then suddenly feeling ashamed that they called for Houston's head and saying that in hindsight he shouldn't have been fired.   Next thing you know I'm getting people slating me for blaming houston for our current predicament and that I always thought he was a shit manager which is complete tosh.  Houstie had two great seasons in the league and an excellent scottish cup run. His second season was remarkable when we came second only losing two games. However , his poor record in the transfer market saw the team decline from season to season culminating in us being rock bottom of a league we should be competing to win.  That shouldn't tarnish his record in his first 3 seasons nor should his record in his first 3 seasons cloud our judgement when looking at why he got the boot.  He is in no way responsible for our current predicament nor is he a shit manager. Simple really but some folk seem to want to highlight individual signings like loy which were not the one and only reason why he got punted.

Fair and balanced comment and it would have been preferable if he had left the club in a more dignified way. 

But anyway ! that got me thinking about players who were great servants to the club and respected by the fans, but are remembered for their stint as manager and in particular when it all went wrong. Prentice - Miller - Hughes and Houston for example. My goodness were they not giants in a Falkirk jersey and should be remembered as such. Hughes and Houston deserve our respect and appreciation and I for one would be on my feet applauding should they come to the stadium or to any club / fan event.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Fair and balanced comment and it would have been preferable if he had left the club in a more dignified way. 

But anyway ! that got me thinking about players who were great servants to the club and respected by the fans, but are remembered for their stint as manager and in particular when it all went wrong. Prentice - Miller - Hughes and Houston for example. My goodness were they not giants in a Falkirk jersey and should be remembered as such. Hughes and Houston deserve our respect and appreciation and I for one would be on my feet applauding should they come to the stadium or to any club / fan event.

Loved houstie as a player and though he was sacked as manager that should not take anything away from how he is seen as a falkirk great and he can hold his head up high any time he comes back. Hughes on the other hand was a great player, good manager but spoiled it by behaving like a complete arse when he left and since. Will never have the same affection for him as houstie unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:
11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:
Where did you see this?

I know that is what it is on both Football Manager and transfer market site.

Cheers. Don't know how accurate they would be right enough.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Leitch signed a contract extension prior to going out on loan M and M see him as one for the future:
image.thumb.png.34d18bcf7cc05640068d6d9919623a5f.png

Aye, I knew that one. It's Sammon that I wonder about though as the length of his deal wasn't made public when he signed. (At least not that I know of)

I think we’ve been run and managed into the ground since the summer of 2017. I can see the fanbase now seeing a 4th place (and no promotion) in The Championship as a good result for us. 5th-7th is par. It would take something pretty extraordinary to getting us challenging again as it stands. Back in the day we didn’t have the Highland clubs and Livingston to contend with never mind the traditional rivals like St Mirren, Dunfermline, Patrick and Hamilton. Throw in the Dundee clubs. Heck, even Raith, Morton, Ayr and Queen if the South are tricky for us! I think this going to be a long decade in the history of the club.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

On 22/03/2020 at 08:42, Shadwell Dog said:

Christ theres suddenly a lot of houstie tinted spectacles going about here. Great 2 league seasons but we would have been in league one a year early if he had stayed. Hung on a season too long.Signings killed him as I said.Kerr and baird were decent. Miller was a good backup.striker. mchugh had some great moments but 9 goals in 55 apps is mince for a striker. Muirhead was murder apart from his penalties. Let's not forget his cockups in the playoff second leg v united that cost us big time.   A couple of decent signings are swamped by the complete dross he brought in. Tudur jones, cooper, mccann, sinnamon,  smith, boulding, morgan, Harris, aird, gasparotto, McKee , Rankin,  loy (the second coming)and that's only the really shit ones. His recruitment was dire. He had to get punted just a shame we've continued to make a complete horlicks of replacing him.

On 22/03/2020 at 11:54, Shadwell Dog said:

Rory loy would I reckon have been on bigger wages than any other player in the league outside Dundee united. We could have had two decent players for the money he was on. For that we get 6 league appearances and one goal.  Harris would have been on decent cash too coming straight from hibs. Rankin lasted how long? Yes you're never going to replace vaulks  with the same level of player but that doesnt mean to say you have to sign shite.  I mean how many of his signings went on to bigger and better things? Very few if any. Likes of harris and balatoni are now part time as is Rankin.loy is out the game altogether. Mcghee struggling mid table n a pish dundee side. And whose pointing the finger at him for the mess we are in? Certainly not me.  I'm just saying like you his time had come and he had to go. Others though seem to think we should have stuck with him.

Some folk eh...

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Some folk eh...

What are u on about😆😆. You've not pointed out one area where I mentioned loy and no other player whilst all you talk about is loy. What about the others?  Loy is just one in a long list I've mentioned but you seem to have some sort of loy obsession.  I've given a list of shit signings as long as your arm as I said. If u want to say loy was unlucky then fine. The other pile of dross though cant all be unlucky signings  though ffs. 

52 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What are u on about😆😆. You've not pointed out one area where I mentioned loy and no other player whilst all you talk about is loy. What about the others?  Loy is just one in a long list I've mentioned but you seem to have some sort of loy obsession.  I've given a list of shit signings as long as your arm as I said. If u want to say loy was unlucky then fine. The other pile of dross though cant all be unlucky signings  though ffs. 

I didn't say they were. Houston made some very bad signings, no doubt about it. Made some good ones too though.

You're the one saying that some people only want to talk about Loy. If you're referring to me then you're correct because I wanted to know how you would have felt if we hadn't signed him when we did. I didn't mention any other players, I was simply interested in how you felt at the time. You almost answered that one! You claimed that he was on more money than anyone else in the league, apart from DU players, (f**k knows how you knew that right enough) and that we only got one goal from him therefore he was a dreadful signing. He was, but nobody expected that to be the case. You want to lump him in with the rest of the dross though to highlight your amazing powers of foresight. 

Maybe you could let M&M know who they should sign next so that they can avoid signing shit. I'm sure they would be very grateful for your advice. That, of course, is whether you feel they should be kept on or not.

Shout out to the club for doing a great deed on delivering food parcels to the needy, but managing to post a photo with 12 people standing a combined 5 inches apart from one another that they've since deleted. Never change COYB

Edited by Marshmallo

It meant he couldn’t change the squad as best as he might have done. Had to keep players who were probably past their sell by dates simply because there was no one better on their wages.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Cheers. Don't know how accurate they would be right enough.

Yep, their accuracy is a function of the person(s) updating for each league. With Sammon, no club statement is out there that I can find on how long a contract he signed, so the only data we have is Transfermarkt and Football Manager. Even the SPFL don’t seem to offer any database to track player contract status/length. One thing nice about Raith’s website is it lists the players contract status on their individual page.

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It's Sammon that I wonder about though as the length of his deal wasn't made public when he signed. (At least not that I know of)

For a number of years Falkirk didn't publish any details about contract lengths. This was due to a former Head Of Football Operations ( or similar - can't remember his exact title) wanting that info kept confidential. He once chastised me for asking an "inappropriate question" when I asked a new signing how long he would be with us. It didn't stop me asking in future, but I just had to do it out of his earshot. :huh:

We've been pretty open about contracts ever since. Not sure why the Sammon duration wasn't published at the time he signed; I think it was just a clerical oversight. He's on the same length of contract as the likes of Doyle, Durnan, Dixon etc.

You're not answering the question though, are you?

I was not that impressed with Loy the first time round Any decent striker would have bagged a similar goal tally+ he was useless in the Air and didn’t have a great work rate. The second time around I was praying the deal would not happen. He was done and Houston should have known that .

16 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I was not that impressed with Loy the first time round Any decent striker would have bagged a similar goal tally+ he was useless in the Air and didn’t have a great work rate. The second time around I was praying the deal would not happen. He was done and Houston should have known that .

Oooo, been a little while since we’ve had a properly terrible opinion on here, fair play