The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Never played for us I dont think but its outside the window anyway so I'd guess he cant play

Fair enough, I wasn't sure if loans were different to free agents in regards to being outside the window.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

That doesn't apply to the Juniors and I'm not sure it applies in the Lowland League either.

Brechin are a League 2 side for the time being.

The imperative last night was not to lose and I thought they did a really good, disciplined job of that in the first half. 2nd half Rovers targeted Doyle, swamped their left hand side and got a goal out of it. We couldn't change immediately because Miller really does only have 30 minutes in him (he was blowing out his arse and gasping for air at fulltime) but when we did bring him on and changed the midfield as said, the game opened right up.

The target was a draw, they put a team and system on the park to achieve it and they did.

It was important not to lose that lastnight and I dont really think anyone could envisage us winning it so a draw and get out of dodge seems ok. There will be points dropped by both sides and a last day game against them at home so I think it's fair enough to call it "in our own hands".

A big factor in this though is when we meet the more difficult teams in the run in. For example, it would be good to get some of the play off teams later on in our run in when they are safe in a playoff slot. EF Airdrie and Montrose all competing though make that a tough ask. The more teams we hit with nothing much to play for the better. Will need to get a look at the run ins and see where the tough games are likely to be.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It was important not to lose that lastnight and I dont really think anyone could envisage us winning it so a draw and get out of dodge seems ok. There will be points dropped by both sides and a last day game against them at home so I think it's fair enough to call it "in our own hands".

A big factor in this though is when we meet the more difficult teams in the run in. For example, it would be good to get some of the play off teams later on in our run in when they are safe in a playoff slot. EF Airdrie and Montrose all competing though make that a tough ask. The more teams we hit with nothing much to play for the better. Will need to get a look at the run ins and see where the tough games are likely to be.

We are one point behind Raith this morning.  Every reader of the forum would have settled for that outcome last Friday night.

Am still convinced it will come down to a last day winner takes all game. Hopefully Goal difference giving Falkirk the draw.

17 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

Because that strategy worked so well for us last season...

This is what worries me. Last season, we reached a certain level and, rather than progressing, we went backwards. I'm unsure as to whether the current gang have the desire or ability to kick on from here.

The two games I can really see us dropping points are Montrose and Dumbarton away, if we win the remainder of the games, and take anything away from those two away games, I think we'll win the league.
Airdrie and East Fife are also worries to me.

Just checked.... Airdrie is a home game so no excuses there. Away two weeks in a row to East Fife and Montrose..... Really need to hope that one or both of them have their playoff spot boxed up by then. That's where it could all unravel IMO so I am glad those games are as late as possible.

Hoping by the East Fife game, the league places will have settled down a bit and EF will have nothing to play for, doubt it though, this is going to be down to the fuckin wire.

I know Airdrie beat us last time at home, but I'm geniunly confident in beating anyone at home in this league now. Its away we seem to have issues.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

The target was a draw, they put a team and system on the park to achieve it and they did.

McKinnonesque coaching...but, yes, I know that’s likely not the plan for all the road games, but still. 5 wins and 4 draws would result in 68 points. If Raith continue average points, that’ll win the League by one point...but I suspect it’s not enough.

Guess I might be one of the few that I expect our team to win every game in this league. Is it that bad we’ve accepted this defensive game plan as acceptable?
Sorry guys I expect any Falkirk team to compete, last two games we’ve given mediocre teams a couple of yards on the ball, don’t chase any second balls,  and howfing countless balls to however is playing up front.  Deary me if yous are happy to accept, I must have missed something here.
With the exception of RR, we are a full time club, that should be fitter, adventurous and comfortable against majority of the teams in this league. Accept we’ve got no given right to winning all the games we play, but the level of performance most seem happy with really worries me.....

What was obvious last night was that we have comparatively low energy . Raith have more legs younger players who seemed more comfortable and confident on the ball. The lack of youth and the desire that comes as part n parcel of that .is what’s missing from our team .

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

No one could envisage a Falkirk team with a relatively massive budget beating Raith Rovers? 

Got to agree here, we should've already beaten rovers twice in the league this season (a bad sending off at home and ray's unfit mob away), obvious the managers were happy with a draw. Seeing how many problems we caused them with 2 up front then I'd say this game was a chance missed.

Got to agree here, we should've already beaten rovers twice in the league this season (a bad sending off at home and ray's unfit mob away), obvious the managers were happy with a draw. Seeing how many problems we caused them with 2 up front then I'd say this game was a chance missed.
I dont think many of us were confidently predicting the win were we? I didnt feel good about it and if you pushed me I'd have probably said I'd take a draw before a ball was kicked.

We have now had almost a full season with our big budget squad, during which we havent beaten Raith and have faultered in most of our "big games". No point in looking at anything other than form at this stage and I dont really think it seemed likely we would win. Specially not after seeds of dount being sewn in getting shoe'd off Clyde at the weekend.