The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

It strikes me as a way to host events tied in, hiring opportunities at the team and stadia, educational opportunities in management and operations, an attraction to disaffected youth, a way to offer incentives to youth being assisted through admission etc, lots of tie ins. Might just be a very smart move, and I'd expect SPFL to have their toes in with an opportuity for good publicity.

Perhaps you're correct , although I can still see limitations with the opportunities you suggest , St Mirren are hardly a  BP.

The cynic in me always has an issue with charities having highly paid CEOs and MDs creaming off much of the donations.  There is a chance , if unlikely, that they are local guys, big St Mirren fans and just fancy a bit of a prawn sandwich every weekend with the blazers. Oh cynical me!  

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Perhaps you're correct , although I can still see limitations with the opportunities you suggest , St Mirren are hardly a  BP.

The cynic in me always has an issue with charities having highly paid CEOs and MDs creaming off much of the donations.  There is a chance , if unlikely, that they are local guys, big St Mirren fans and just fancy a bit of a prawn sandwich every weekend with the blazers. Oh cynical me!  

Probably the inherent criminal bent of your current residence kicking in. I don’t disagree, in principle, but there are a load of potential jobs that youth could fill as a diversion from roaming the streets.

13 hours ago, MrDust said:

Understandable but cmon, its not as if we have a squad of outstanding players that at worst to match in what we have to increase the squad numbers.

Having no cover at the point when we lose players(suspension, injuries) might hit us hard in either winning the league or play offs

You can never guarantee a new player will fit in or improve us either, its a massive gamble if we don't add to the sparse 18

You are right. But it comes down to who is available and at this time of the season because its limited. Out of favour players will not be game sharp and also why are they out of favour in the first place. Injury ! Fitness ! Attitude ! Also there are other clubs that are a better option than FFC. We have to face it we are not a go to employer if you are a football player as we once were.

Would Will Vaulks knock on our door now as a 17 year old ? not a chance. 

How to improve the latter ?

Ownership. Are the current lot staying or going ?

Business plan. Would help if we had one rather than a few months or one year at the best.

Team management. The individuals require certainty.

These are issues that can be addressed, all that is needed is the will to do it.

40 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You are right. But it comes down to who is available and at this time of the season because its limited. Out of favour players will not be game sharp and also why are they out of favour in the first place. Injury ! Fitness ! Attitude ! Also there are other clubs that are a better option than FFC. We have to face it we are not a go to employer if you are a football player as we once were.

Would Will Vaulks knock on our door now as a 17 year old ? not a chance. 

How to improve the latter ?

Ownership. Are the current lot staying or going ?

Business plan. Would help if we had one rather than a few months or one year at the best.

Team management. The individuals require certainty.

These are issues that can be addressed, all that is needed is the will to do it.

I still think we are two players short at a minimum and if the case of money not being a problem, we have shot ourselves in the foot if we are gonna get those players in now, in regard to who is available.

I hope I'm wrong if we do stick to just 18 but I can see us having to repeat playing someone in an unfamiliar role as we did with Alston at right back years ago at Raith. He cost us a goal and injured himself playing a role he wasn't used to.

I felt we needed a striker in as we have McManus and Sammon who is playing like he is a labourer from a building site and McMillan 1 in 5 games I'll turn up. I am grasping in the hope Lee Miller can produce a Roy of the Rovers comeback for us due to the fact outside McManus our options are poor.

The here and now is more important than projected future magic wands. I can't see us adding to the squad now and as said I hope I'm wrong but we could be going into key games missing key players and a lack of genuine options on the bench.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

I still think we are two players short at a minimum and if the case of money not being a problem, we have shot ourselves in the foot if we are gonna get those players in now, in regard to who is available.

I hope I'm wrong if we do stick to just 18 but I can see us having to repeat playing someone in an unfamiliar role as we did with Alston at right back years ago at Raith. He cost us a goal and injured himself playing a role he wasn't used to.

I felt we needed a striker in as we have McManus and Sammon who is playing like he is a labourer from a building site and McMillan 1 in 5 games I'll turn up. I am grasping in the hope Lee Miller can produce a Roy of the Rovers comeback for us due to the fact outside McManus our options are poor.

The here and now is more important than projected future magic wands. I can't see us adding to the squad now and as said I hope I'm wrong but we could be going into key games missing key players and a lack of genuine options on the bench.

Agree but we are where. Miller I see as no more than a last 30 minute substitute. It is going to be interesting to see the striker line up against Clyde. Got a feeling we might see Longridge get a start.

Here we are desperate for strikers whilst Kevin O’Hara scores again on Saturday to become third top league scorer for a relegation threatened side in a division above, but was pilloried on here to disappear whilst still a developing player.
Some of the same folk, I should say, having a go at our management team’s ‘incompetence’ for a squad of 18.
Funny how things work out.....

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Here we are desperate for strikers whilst Kevin O’Hara scores again on Saturday to become third top league scorer for a relegation threatened side in a division above, but was pilloried on here to disappear whilst still a developing player.
Some of the same folk, I should say, having a go at our management team’s ‘incompetence’ for a squad of 18.

As long as you dont say we should try and see if we can get Sheps.

You could see O'hara had something but it just didnt work with him with us whether that be formation etc i dont know its just one of those things.

Clyde were excellent yesterday and could have easily been 3-0 up early doors. Going there without McManus will show a real test of character for you guys. Number 5 for them is rock solid and wins every header

Terrified

32 minutes ago, inreganhendrywetrust said:

Clyde were excellent yesterday and could have easily been 3-0 up early doors. Going there without McManus will show a real test of character for you guys. Number 5 for them is rock solid and wins every header

They were a bit like Peterhead in the Cup game at Stark's, ran us ragged for most of the match and we sneaked a goal. Then when we played them in the league we strolled it. You can never tell from a one off game.

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

He did get it tight on here but maybe he just needed a move to be given an opportunity.

Glad to see he’s doing well.

Although the standard and quality of the league is generally poor, the title race is getting interesting. I’d settle for being five points ahead of Raith after we play them a week on Tuesday. 😄 Seriously given McManus suspension i’d settle to be still a point behind Raith after a week on Tuesday.