The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

Aye, that’s down to big Ray, we’re playing better now under M&M and they’ve made some decent signings imho, we still need some reinforcements, I’m confident we can still win the league though, it’s in our own hands.

If we go with the 17/18 squad till May, a lot will depend on suspensions and injuries, the same applies to Raith altho having 20+ players helps

I'm not sure about miles ahead. Thought they were the better side but looked very fragile when partick finally went for it towards the end.  Some better finishing and it would've been a draw.

I turned it off just before Partick scored. At that point they were miles ahead

Forget our decent performance v hearts, forget looking better than raith last game despite having 10 men for most of the game, forget almost pumping raith away but for 2 cracking free kicks by them and us still having ray in charge, raith played well against partick, league over. So many people so negative on here all the time [emoji20]

Like you people are entitled to an opinion.

My view is nothing more than me trying to be realistic. If that is deemed as negative so be it.

I am sure it will be a bit of a rollercoaster but of the 13 games left 7 are against teams we have not beaten in 10 attempts this season. My views is based on that and Raith’s performance last night.

I wasn’t that convinced with the Hearts performance TBH. A good side would have cuffed them IMO. We did well for 40 minutes either side of HT but the rest of the game I thought we were 2nd best.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.

If we go with the 17/18 squad till May, a lot will depend on suspensions and injuries, the same applies to Raith altho having 20+ players helps

Aye we definitely require some more bodies, the board need to provide some funds, another year down here will cost more than a couple players coming in on 6 month deals

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So why isn't he starting then?  Da vita has been another bench warmer when we needed starters.

Maybe because they feel that Todd fits their system better and due to Connolly's improved form? I can't work out why they bring Telfer on in front of him though unless maybe he's got a wee niggle or something?

Aye we definitely require some more bodies, the board need to provide some funds, another year down here will cost more than a couple players coming in on 6 month deals

Cash is not an issue.

31 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Currently the real number is 25, but that included one out till next season and one MIA for some personal reasons...23, which includes four keepers, one of which is a part timer and coach and one of which is a 16 y-o...21, which includes a very young and raw modern apprentice mid who won’t likely play, so 20. However, as you note, that doesn’t count having an available emergency mid or goalie. I do feel much better with 20+, because when we struggled to fill the bench earlier his year, it certainly felt like a crisis.

I have to believe that Falkirk will sign a couple of bodies before Feb 29.

why? they are all in touching distance. surely better to be fighting it out with raith rather than 4 teams?

We have two games in hand. Just can see anyone other than Raith finishing above us if we keep going as we have under M&M

We have two games in hand. Just can see anyone other than Raith finishing above us if we keep going as we have under M&M
you could well be right but I'd still rather (with a dozen or so games to go) that Airdrie East Fife and Montrose were further behind us...especially given our less than brilliant record against these sides

Agreed. The issue is finding someone good enough to spend it on.
The last two free agents who joined us outwith a window (Prince Buaben & Mustapha Dumbuya) weren't exactly roaring successes.

We should not have been in this position.

It was clear to most we were short of numbers and quality well before the end of the window.

If we don’t go up this will have been a major blunder (another one)

If I recollect correctly, were we not talking about a squad of 18 preseason?

It’s always nice to sign quality players but I would not want us to spend any more money on dross just to increase squad size. It’s done us little favours to date over the last couple of years.

We’ve about 3 months to go, is 18 really that bad in a league full of part time clubs? Maybe there’s an argument for a more stable team selection. Players like Dixon and Durnan have been rightly slaughtered at times, but appear to have improved with games.....

......and Mr Lex is the guy at the controls. He is increasingly looking like our version of the Mothman Prophecies.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

We should not have been in this position.

It was clear to most we were short of numbers and quality well before the end of the window.

If we don’t go up this will have been a major blunder (another one)

The situation is that we require back up squad players. All that are available are the dregs nobody else wants except for. Players recovering from injury and requiring game time to get back to match sharpness. However where Falkirk are at present means there are better options available for the player and their club.

Sad reality ! made even worse having been in a cup final 5 years ago and the collapse over the last 3 seasons. In my decades of supporting the club this is the fastest decline I can remember.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

If I recollect correctly, were we not talking about a squad of 18 preseason?

It’s always nice to sign quality players but I would not want us to spend any more money on dross just to increase squad size. It’s done us little favours to date over the last couple of years.

We’ve about 3 months to go, is 18 really that bad in a league full of part time clubs? Maybe there’s an argument for a more stable team selection. Players like Dixon and Durnan have been rightly slaughtered at times, but appear to have improved with games.....

Issue for me is that we aren't a whole lot better as a first 11 than we were on the 31st of December.  We've been a bit limited in our signings whilst other teams in the league have unearthed a few gems on the cheap we've continued with our policy of signing players from a higher level. It's a policy which hasn't proven too successful so far though.

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Issue for me is that we aren't a whole lot better as a first 11 than we were on the 31st of December.  We've been a bit limited in our signings whilst other teams in the league have unearthed a few gems on the cheap we've continued with our policy of signing players from a higher level. It's a policy which hasn't proven too successful so far though.

I agree our first 11 isn’t a whole lot better although from the little I’ve seen of Hall he should be an upgrade on either of our centre halves. On the other hand tho we could’ve been a lot worse. Realistically we could’ve lost McManus, Longridge and Miller...what state would we have been in then?

The business we did in January keeping our best players was good, I’d have liked us to do a bit more improving the team I.e. sign a partner for McManus.