The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I do but there was another player who made his debut in that game who went on to play for Liverpool .The enigma that was Alan Irvine looked the part had a thunderous shot pace and power unfortunately he lacked the one thing Crunchie had in abundance “composure”. I remember listening on radio five live when he signed for Liverpool and made a man of the match debut against everton, apparently ripping them apart with surging runs and shots that just scrapped the bar or post. Little did they know that that was Alan’s speciality -“ nearly scoring a worldly” I can’t recall where Totts signed him from but it may have also been from the juniors Changed days!

Remember his first game against Alloa at Recreation Park. He led the line well and a good team player front 3 of McAllister - Irvine and Grant ripped teams apart. My goodness they were good to watch.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Limited to how many?

1 hour ago, Russ said:

There’s no limit on cross border loans.

I believe that is true, but like the most of the regulations, finding it written down is damn near impossible. There are limits per team, and per team in league, for players within Scottish Football, but none are mentioned about internationals.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:51, Etherglider said:

70 points? Cast your mind back to pre-season when the mighty Falkirk predicted they'd amass a modest one hundred points and stroll this,"piss poor league". Dear oh dear oh dear.......

The only team to break 100 points in L1 this century was Rangers with their ~£6m wage bill. Literally nobody on here was making that prediction about Falkirk. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I believe that is true, but like the most of the regulations, finding it written down is damn near impossible. There are limits per team, and per team in league, for players within Scottish Football, but none are mentioned about internationals.

Someone whose job it is to know these things was kind enough to clarify it for me earlier.

"Cross-border loans close for everyone on 31st Jan incl L1 and L2 clubs.

L1 and 2 can sign domestic loans in the months of September and February, however the same limit rules apply in that you are only allowed four domestic loans at any one time".

Falkirk already have four domestic loans (McManus, MacMillan, De Vita, Ferrie) and so will not be signing anyone else unless they're a free agent.

35 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

So it’s looking more likelier that we’ve got our numbers fixed till end of season.

Not an expert on loans, but can we recall the two currently away ?

If we can we’ve got a tiny bit of help, but if M&M have been bold enough to go with the current numbers, we’ve got enormous pressure on not only keeping guys away from injury, but winning the title. Something not quite right......

Nope. Or if we can, we certainly cannot play them for the remainder of the season. I'd be surprised in the extreme if guys with the experience of M and M genuinely believed that a squad of 18 was sufficient to play out a crucial three months and, potentially, up to four play off games on top in the space of a couple of weeks. Apart from Todd, who looks a decent signing, this January window has not been managed at all well. And with the very obvious exception of McManus, our loan options over the course of the season have been a complete waste. It's beyond ridiculous that a club of our size has eighteen players, and that's it, whilst clubs of far lesser stature are able to enter reserve leagues and run some sort of youth system. 

Hmmmmm. . . . . . . . . let me see:
The League season starts on August 3rd 2019.
I make a post on February 11th 2020, made in the full knowledge of how dreadful the opposition in this league is and therefore with hindsight, and yet somehow I have  made a "prediction"?
prediction noun [ C or U ]   UK     /prɪˈdɪk.ʃən/ US     /prɪˈdɪk.ʃən/     B2 statement about what you think will happen in the future:   ON THIS DATE, FEBRUARY 12TH 2020, I HEREBY PREDICT THAT IN FUTURE EVERYONE ON P & B WILL KNOW (that is the 1% that don't already know it) THAT ETHERGLIDER IS A PR*CK. 200.gif&key=95c0238b120fd16b8c6e396d36488f29bf160a6fd37e69ffa523ff6b2747e09e

Settle petal, you’ll break one of your painted nails on the keyboard if you keep hitting it that hard.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Nope. Or if we can, we certainly cannot play them for the remainder of the season. I'd be surprised in the extreme if guys with the experience of M and M genuinely believed that a squad of 18 was sufficient to play out a crucial three months and, potentially, up to four play off games on top in the space of a couple of weeks. Apart from Todd, who looks a decent signing, this January window has not been managed at all well. And with the very obvious exception of McManus, our loan options over the course of the season have been a complete waste. It's beyond ridiculous that a club of our size has eighteen players, and that's it, whilst clubs of far lesser stature are able to enter reserve leagues and run some sort of youth system. 

Agree ! Injuries or suspensions of some key players could cost us dear. Mutch and McManus being good examples.

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Someone whose job it is to know these things was kind enough to clarify it for me earlier.

"Cross-border loans close for everyone on 31st Jan incl L1 and L2 clubs.

L1 and 2 can sign domestic loans in the months of September and February, however the same limit rules apply in that you are only allowed four domestic loans at any one time".

Falkirk already have four domestic loans (McManus, MacMillan, De Vita, Ferrie) and so will not be signing anyone else unless they're a free agent.

Thanks for that info. I was not aware of any earlier limit on the cross border. Assuming that’s true, with only 17 or 18 for the run in, could be interesting.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Does ask the interesting question: What is the minimum effective squad size?

Not asking for the smallest, smart size, just the least. Obviously, 2 keepers, perhaps 6 backs, 6 mids and 4 forwards?  It does vary based upon regular formations, but 18 seems the smallest to have any cover/options.

It’s all probably nothing more than our latest crisis in the making. I doubt that very much has changed above M&M in terms of who makes the important calls, and that being the case, it’s more than likely that daft decision making isn’t going to end any time soon.

The fact we can only sign free agents does limit the pool of players that can come in and improve us but for me a striker is a must. McMillan and Sammon have had plenty chances and neither have grasped them.

Sign a first choice striker (not another squad player) that can go into the team alongside McManus and I think we win the league. Don’t sign a striker and it’s a toss of a coin. 

I assume the foundations for this MASSIVE and expensive squad were built by one Ray McKinnon?                                                 

Hard to believe a club the size of FFC have allowed this to happen.                                                                                                                 In past seasons we, due to BOD and managerial incompetence, ( Gary F Locke, John Hughes) e.g loaning our top scorer to join Dumbarton, just before we were relegated, and failing to provide cover for injured Goalies!!

I can sympathise,,, but.......you could be up the creek without a paddle once suspensions, injuries kick in.

Bizarre situation , hard times guys.

32 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

The fact we can only sign free agents does limit the pool of players that can come in and improve us but for me a striker is a must. McMillan and Sammon have had plenty chances and neither have grasped them.

Sign a first choice striker (not another squad player) that can go into the team alongside McManus and I think we win the league. Don’t sign a striker and it’s a toss of a coin. 

Wouldn't imagine that there are any 1st choice strikers out there that are both unattached and affordable.

Don’t know about it being hard times. This has been several years in the making. Even when things looked pretty decent,the appointment of George Craig was the first hard evidence that something was seriously amiss with the decision making processes at the club.