The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The Raith , Airdrie , East Fife games take care of themselves, cup ties if you like. It's the teams fighting relegation and the playoffs is where we are most likely to drop unexpected points

Have you actually seen us play this season?

2 hours ago, falkirkzombie said:

i don't think that will be enough, the team needs to be taking around 30 pts from the last 13 games IMO. 20 odds points will pretty much see us continue the form of not beating the teams around us. The form Since M&M took over would suggest 28 points min and i expect them to improve on that. 

Don't think it will be enough either. Goal difference could be as good as a point by the end of the season which I will be glad to see the back of.

Was encouraged by the Hearts game, the weather was a leveller. But effort and team spirit was their in spades. We also now have a core of players to build on for next season and M&M deserve credit for that.

Mutch - Dixon - Gomis - Miller - Longridge - Sammon - Laverty and McManus that's if we can get him. There are one or two others that could be maybes.

So there are positives but have a feeling its winner takes all on the last game of the season with maybe a draw being enough.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Too many draws. If we had turned 5 of them into wins we would be very well placed.

Exactly. We could be 12 clear and rolling, or you could be 6 clear despite some stumbles. Maybe that BBC piece was right, it’s certainly the most interesting, if not quality, league race.

Edit: Corrected 15 to 12...I incorrectly totaled points.

Edited by TxRover

3 hours ago, falkirkzombie said:

i don't think that will be enough, the team needs to be taking around 30 pts from the last 13 games IMO. 20 odds points will pretty much see us continue the form of not beating the teams around us. The form Since M&M took over would suggest 28 points min and i expect them to improve on that. 

History suggests 70 points has about a 40-60% chance to win the league overall. In close years, 65-69 can do it. Raith are on track for 69-70 points, Falkirk’s current track is for 65. You effectively need to find 2 wins from ties, and one tie from a loss, over your average form to this point in the league to reach 70, where your goal advantage gifts a point.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Don't think it will be enough either. Goal difference could be as good as a point by the end of the season which I will be glad to see the back of.

Was encouraged by the Hearts game, the weather was a leveller. But effort and team spirit was their in spades. We also now have a core of players to build on for next season and M&M deserve credit for that.

Mutch - Dixon - Gomis - Miller - Longridge - Sammon - Laverty and McManus that's if we can get him. There are one or two others that could be maybes.

So there are positives but have a feeling its winner takes all on the last game of the season with maybe a draw being enough.

Gomis, Miller & Longridge are all out of contract unfortunately and, of course, McManus is only on loan, so there's no guarantee that any of them will be with us next season.

Must get this tied up before last game, can’t remember any games we’ve won in this situation, big crowd, all the social stuff, all the pish about omens, then getting beat 

Ross County last season.
Results elsewhere on the day stuffed us.
(Obviously not going into the season of footballing dysentery that preceded that game).

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Ross County last season.
Results elsewhere on the day stuffed us.
(Obviously not going into the season of footballing dysentery that preceded that game).

The jig was up by then. The real big games were alloa and Morton and we collapsed hideously in both 

24 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Gomis, Miller & Longridge are all out of contract unfortunately and, of course, McManus is only on loan, so there's no guarantee that any of them will be with us next season.

Will have a better chance of them staying if we go up and would certainly want them next season. But if we don't go up they will be away. How we have fallen so fast and so far from playing in a cup final. 

44 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Miller will be here next season if we want him, and given his form since M&M arrived I'm sure we will.

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2020/01/03/gary-miller-robbie-leitch-sign-contract-extensions/

Morgaro Gomis will be 35 when next season begins. For that reason I can't see there being too much of a stampede for his signature so I imagine if we want him he'll be here too.

Not so sure about McManus. Goalscorers are always in demand so even if we go up he may have far better options than FFC.

You have to assume that either no-one in the Championship wants Longridge or that we're currently paying him more than club who would are prepared to.  That one could go either way.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn
LL comments added.

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Miller will be here next season if we want him, and given his form since M&M arrived I'm sure we will.

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2020/01/03/gary-miller-robbie-leitch-sign-contract-extensions/

Morgaro Gomis will be 35 when next season begins. For that reason I can't see there being too much of a stampede for his signature so I imagine if we want him he'll be here too.

Not so sure about McManus. Goalscorers are always in demand so even if we go up he may have far better options than FFC.

The most goals mcmanus has scored in a season at a level above league one is 7. If we do go up I wouldnt want to be relying on him to get the goals. I would want to keep him though.

15 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The most goals mcmanus has scored in a season at a level above league one is 7. If we do go up I wouldnt want to be relying on him to get the goals. I would want to keep him though.

On that though i would say that is dependant on who he has around him or how the team is set up to play so its not really a reflection on him, now we have a bit of stability (or you would like to think) theres every chance he would do better with us IF we go up.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

History suggests 70 points has about a 40-60% chance to win the league overall. In close years, 65-69 can do it. Raith are on track for 69-70 points, Falkirk’s current track is for 65. You effectively need to find 2 wins from ties, and one tie from a loss, over your average form to this point in the league to reach 70, where your goal advantage gifts a point.

70 points? Cast your mind back to pre-season when the mighty Falkirk predicted they'd amass a modest one hundred points and stroll this,"piss poor league". Dear oh dear oh dear.......

1 hour ago, Etherglider said:

70 points? Cast your mind back to pre-season when the mighty Falkirk predicted they'd amass a modest one hundred points and stroll this,"piss poor league". Dear oh dear oh dear.......

“When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

...much like when Etherglider follows a thread.

70 point has won this league 18 times out of 20. 9 or 10 wins for us or Raith will see that team champions IMO. The other will lose to the Championship team in the play off final

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

70 point has won this league 18 times out of 20. 9 or 10 wins for us or Raith will see that team champions IMO. The other will lose to the Championship team in the play off final

I suppose it will depend on the form of the team that comes 2nd bottom in the championship, Raith couldnt beat eggs going into their play off games when they came down to the abyss.

6 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Personally I hope Sammon isn't with us next season. Anyone know his length of contract, I thought it was only 1year.