The Falkirk FC Thread

43 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Did Crunchie not go to Chelsea for something ridiculous, like £30k?

Roasted Frankie Gray the Scottish international left back on his first game for us against Leeds in a pre season friendly.

He had been doing the business for Camelon Juniors and came as no surprise to those that watched the juniors. 

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I knew it was something derisory. I'm sure we paid a hell of a lot more to bring him back too!

I think the same was it not along the lines of 150k or 250k  when you look at that in comparison of what we paid for Derek Ferguson

42 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You're surely answering you're own question though by stating that we had to sell to fill the void? Hamilton presumably (I've no idea) were in a fairly comfortable position financially to be able to knock back the early bids? If not, I'm pretty sure that their fans wouldn't have been very happy if they went bust when they could've accepted decent offers!

Without knowing exact figures, I think we did OK with Kingsley and McGrandles, particularly with add-on's. As it turns out the add-on's with McGrandles weren't great due to his injury though which is a pity because, for me, he was the best of them.

Do you think we should have held on to Blair, Biabi & Gallagher or taken the money offered?

Still makes me giggle that we got money for Botti.

Christ the guys scored 7 goals in 20 league apps this season.  It was 5 in 19 until he scored twice against as we saw on saturday a pretty mediocre Arbroath side.   Some people on here talking as if he's some sort of superstar. Once he starts getting around the 20 mark in a season then maybe I'll start thinking about what could've been. 

Where did I say he was a superstar?

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

You're surely answering you're own question though by stating that we had to sell to fill the void? Hamilton presumably (I've no idea) were in a fairly comfortable position financially to be able to knock back the early bids? If not, I'm pretty sure that their fans wouldn't have been very happy if they went bust when they could've accepted decent offers!

Without knowing exact figures, I think we did OK with Kingsley and McGrandles, particularly with add-on's. As it turns out the add-on's with McGrandles weren't great due to his injury though which is a pity because, for me, he was the best of them.

Do you think we should have held on to Blair, Biabi & Gallagher or taken the money offered?

Who knows with these guys if staying with us longer may have given them a better grounding before moving on like kingsley had. To me your better playing first team football for a few years before moving on instead of moving at a very young age and being limited to under 20s etc  football for a few years.

As to your first point thats exactly what i was pointing out. We never really used the academy to its full benefit due to the horrendous financial state the bod had got us in. Players were sold before we got the real benefit of them in our first team and for the first half decent fee we were offered.  As time went on players were getting sold younger and younger some before they had even played a single game. This causes problems and was one of the reasons why we had hit a fallow spell recently.  Ideally players should be playing in the first team for 2 or 3 seasons and then being sold for a substantial fee. That means the next crop are ready and at the right age to replace them.  We however were flogging the next crop too to balance the books.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Who knows with these guys if staying with us longer may have given them a better grounding before moving on like kingsley had. To me your better playing first team football for a few years before moving on instead of moving at a very young age and being limited to under 20s etc  football for a few years.

As to your first point thats exactly what i was pointing out. We never really used the academy to its full benefit due to the horrendous financial state the bod had got us in. Players were sold before we got the real benefit of them in our first team and for the first half decent fee we were offered.  As time went on players were getting sold younger and younger some before they had even played a single game. This causes problems and was one of the reasons why we had hit a fallow spell recently.  Ideally players should be playing in the first team for 2 or 3 seasons and then being sold for a substantial fee. That means the next crop are ready and at the right age to replace them.  We however were flogging the next crop too to balance the books.

So, what I think you're really saying is that the BOD/MSG have made a rip-roaring c**t of things which is something that I think we all agree on!

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

65K comes to mind. There you go ! only Falkirk. If Davie Cooper had not been around he would have played for Scotland

Davie Cooper was a left winger and only got 22 caps. I think it was more Pat Nevin that kept him out the Scotland team although he only got 28 caps.

At the end of the day though a travesty Crunchie never got capped.

I also remember a major seethe when Eamonn Bannon was picked ahead of Crunchie for Scotland. Bannon was a good player, no doubt, but Crunchie was the better of the two by a fair margin.

29 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The flip side of that is that might be what the BoD/MSG seen as the benefit of having an academy where players were sold before or early stages of being in the first team.

Depends what way you want to look at it as a business model complement your first team with players on a lesser wage or sell them on to make money before they can move for a free.

6 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Crazy market and suspect a hellava lot wheeling and dealing getting done behind the scenes. Dundee go public about not being in the bidding for Hearts Wighton, Arbroath sign him today ?Arbroath also sign one of Forfars best players ? 

Wighton has been over rated for years. Still living off the fact he was a promising young talent . I remember him being complete dross on loan at raith a few years back. Hilson at forfar has scored 5 goals this season and never looked like doing anything special against us 

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Total waste of a loan on Moore. Could have been far better utilised on getting a player in on other areas of the team

If we had used him properly as a right sided player who knows what he may have done. Instead he hardly got a game and when he did he seemed to get stuck out on the left.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Davie Cooper was a left winger and only got 22 caps. I think it was more Pat Nevin that kept him out the Scotland team although he only got 28 caps.

At the end of the day though a travesty Crunchie never got capped.

Pretty surprised that Nevin got more caps than Davie Cooper.

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Point was making that if Arbroath are offering more cash than Dundee are “ outbid “ it’s a crazy market 

Probably charge arbroath less though as he will still be able to train and play reserve team football with hearts if necessary whilst he would have been full time with dundee.

Was a complete embarrassment at last years EGM when Andy Thomson(finance guy) admitted he knew very little details about the plans for a group of businessmen to cover the costs for the academy

Shambolic but surely whoever was planning such a venture would surely detail their proposal to the club in writing . All seems a little bit wushu washy but if it’s true it’s a disgrace the offer was not followed up on!