The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

M&M seem to be working on the basis of not changing much in a winning team. which I suspect will continue today.

Tbf they are building up competition for places with a bit of hunger and experience, still have an element of Tidser and McShane will be used only if last choice(more applies to Tidser) but the deadwood McKinnon left is slowly being cleared. 

Our crossing into the box has been poor, hopefully Todd can deliver that for us.

The big fear is the loss of Declan who has scored 9 goals in the 8 games under M & M.

If you compared Josh Todd's career to date with McShane  (having never seen either) then you'd put your money on McShane being the better player.  Todd has had two good moves to Dundee and St Mirren and not managed more than 20 games with either before being shipped out.  
He may well provide the crosses we need to get out of League 1 but he's another we're stuck with next year if he's not up to the Championship.  I know he has played for QOS but I think what this season has shown is that picking up players from the likes of QOS and Morton (even their best ones) s not a brilliant plan.  
I can't recall Falkirk ever picking up our best players. In recent times only Kerr has left us for you, wasn't he a decent player for you as well?

Baird as well, but he was pish for us.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't recall Falkirk ever picking up our best players. In recent times only Kerr has left us for you, wasn't he a decent player for you as well?

Baird as well, but he was pish for us.

Doyle and Kidd spring immediately to mind, McShane and Todd weren't away from QOS long before turning up at Falkirk.  

17 hours ago, keithgy said:

I like Longridge as a player but he is a it is my ball type of player,he does a bit to much when the easy ball is a better choice.

He try's to make the killer pass but does not have the skill or the brains to do it.

The killer pass was what drove Real Madrid in the 50's with the likes of De Stephano as its greatest exponent. It was called the 3rd pass philosophy.

You get the ball - opposition player anticipates where the obvious ball should go - you don't take that choice - what's the second option and discount it - 3rd choice the killer pass. Depends on the team players being switched on and on your wave length.

Think to Longridge's credit he is trying that but does not have the skill or vision to pull it off.

There was a wonderful article on De Stephano years ago and if you see some of his old black and white glimpses on the web on him doing it. Joy to behold.

Man City and Liverpool are good examples of this in practice now. It is maybe no coincidence that either of them have signed Longridge.

If we do keep him he has to be told to play within his skill level.

Lewis kidd? 
Doyle and Kidd spring immediately to mind, McShane and Todd weren't away from QOS long before turning up at Falkirk.  
Lewis Kidd has never been one of our best players. Though when he left us he'd been playing well at wing-back. Don't know where Falkirk played him. Doyle was solid at CB for us but he wasn't good at RB. No surprise to see him getting pelters if he's being used at RB.

McShane has been gone for nearly 5 years and had 3 clubs since us. I'd say that's pretty long in football terms. I expect Todd would still be at Dundee if the manager that signed him never left. He'll be a good player if he gets games.

Arbroath were poorer than I thought they'd be especially at home.

we seem to have a spine of a side but missing probably one better midfielder and striker. if we'd got rudden and darrion McKinnon who both went to partick it would have been ample to have scooshed this league.

a strike force of rudden and McManus and a midfield of McKinnon gomis Miller and one other. mutch is decent and the defence despite criticisms has held out well so far this season.

if we could have offloaded some of the deadwood it should surely allow some quality in?

8 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Arbroath were poorer than I thought they'd be especially at home.

we seem to have a spine of a side but missing probably one better midfielder and striker. if we'd got rudden and darrion McKinnon who both went to partick it would have been ample to have scooshed this league.

a strike force of rudden and McManus and a midfield of McKinnon gomis Miller and one other. mutch is decent and the defence despite criticisms has held out well so far this season.

if we could have offloaded some of the deadwood it should surely allow some quality in?

McKinnon is the last thing we need - 34, years past his best and extremely limited, in fact, a bit of a thug. We need someone with more creativity and passing ability alongside Gomis, with Connolly and perhaps Todd as the wide options. Play Miller in his natural position and empty Doyle. Forget Telfer and that utter shitebag McShane. I'll take a ton of convincing that Tidser could possibly be any less effective than this pair, who have been given chance after chance after chance.

McKinnon is the last thing we need - 34, years past his best and extremely limited, in fact, a bit of a thug. We need someone with more creativity and passing ability alongside Gomis, with Connolly and perhaps Todd as the wide options. Play Miller in his natural position and empty Doyle. Forget Telfer and that utter shitebag McShane. I'll take a ton of convincing that Tidser could possibly be any less effective than this pair, who have been given chance after chance after chance.
agreed McKinnon isnt a spring chicken however good enough to play for Hamilton 2 league's above us, now partick 1 league above us and despite not having had much game time at Hamilton featured in a 2-1 loss to Celtic today for partick. it's hypothetical we can't get him, I hate him, but he hates to lose and having watched mcshane Connolly and telfer today our midfield is too lightweight. with Miller back and gomis that's a start. I also agree we need more creativity. I don't know much about da vita may be he's it?

Arbroath's pre-match notes about us apparently -

83430974_3269149679766709_3742024702277713920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103%26_nc_ohc=2xN_kwEXt64AX-N1C7k%26_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-1.fna%26oh=3348deda210c248e25f2d811573581c4%26oe=5ED82154&key=27079209f304ab6d403776da67cedb67f7618607f505ead91c12e3b376131810

Some of it is fair enough (mostly defenders and strikers) but some wild shouts about our midfield there. Doing Gary Miller and what he brings to our midfield a massive disservice and Charlie Telfer has a decent shot from distance? [emoji23]

Width was that important for them that they didn’t look threatening down the flanks in the slightest.