The Falkirk FC Thread

32 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think its more to the fact they were the only 3 players that seemed to give a shite in a team full of not giving a shiters, which tends to happen when you become a team of journeymen.

Pretty much this.

Look at the current team most people’s favourite players are McManus, Gomis and Gary Miller.

Biggest problem we have is we have no identity anymore as a club, thanks to some dreadful decisions , before we had a talisman the likes of latapy etc to bring through some of the younger less experienced players we dont have that,  the closest we have to that player that will get folk out there seats as they know they have that bit of magic about them is McManus as with the rest its pretty much meh. Only players that have showed any sort of confidence is Miller, Gomis, McManus and Mutch which are pretty much would be the ones we should be looking to keep IF we manage to go up.

By far we are no Barcelona but the Falkirk sides we are used to always used to attack even if we were getting gubbed we still tried to press forward  we are starting to see some of that through M & M but we need players that can play that way and unfortunately the last 2 seasons transfer dealings havent delivered that in the case of last seasons squad that started they couoldnt defend let alone attack. 

Which bit ?
Leishman had success and McKinnon didn't have Freddie Boswell hair

The money bit. Leishman was “successful” when he could splattercash a few of the Fifer’s mystery millions and then Livingston’s imaginary millions. McKinnon, while not allowed the keys to the till on Leishman’s scale, still tends to pop up at the most monied* clubs outwith the top flight, and then leave via the gift shop when he’s not got any more budget to blow.....just like Jim Leishman. Tbf, Leishman is a decent bloke. You can take to him in the way you can take to a neighbour’s overweight Golden Retriever. Not so with McKinnon.

* Morten being the exception that proves the rule.

The Falkirk team of the 1970's was very poor. Attendances at Brockville were sparse and excitement was rare.
This season reminds me of those dark days and only a swift return to the Championship would sort it.
The fan base deserve great praise as crowds of 1500 were common in the bad years. Come on Falkirk new decade new attitude.
Underdogs to Arbroath ! Who would have thunkit?

The money bit. Leishman was “successful” when he could splattercash a few of the Fifer’s mystery millions and then Livingston’s imaginary millions. McKinnon, while not allowed the keys to the till on Leishman’s scale, still tends to pop up at the most monied* clubs outwith the top flight, and then leave via the gift shop when he’s not got any more budget to blow.....just like Jim Leishman. Tbf, Leishman is a decent bloke. You can take to him in the way you can take to a neighbour’s overweight Golden Retriever. Not so with McKinnon.

I'm not one who lionises Jim Leishman, especially his self-promotion and the like but that first bit is a nonsense. He took the Pars from Division Two to the Premier League in back-to-back seasons while the club were still part time (they may have been the last part time club in the top flight; maybe Clydebank were later?) and was signing players for next to nothing (famously signed John Watson for £300, a pint of Guinness and a pint of Heavy) or rebuilding sides after selling players (sold Ian McCall to Rangers and bought four players with the proceeds saying "I've sold an ace to buy four kings").

I'm not one who lionises Jim Leishman, especially his self-promotion and the like but that first bit is a nonsense. He took the Pars from Division Two to the Premier League in back-to-back seasons while the club were still part time (they may have been the last part time club in the top flight; maybe Clydebank were later?) and was signing players for next to nothing (famously signed John Watson for £300, a pint of Guinness and a pint of Heavy) or rebuilding sides after selling players (sold Ian McCall to Rangers and bought four players with the proceeds saying "I've sold an ace to buy four kings").

Might be so, but Dunfermline were at it financially over a protracted period of time, and big Jim was right in amongst it. I was sat in an Edinburgh Hotel with him by chance (a work permit hearing while he was at Livingston), and he was the one talking about deja vu in that the Pars were supposedly rooked, “but money just kept appearing out of nowhere” and here was with a West Lothian’s finest with books that said “no money” yet the cash appeared to “do whatever he needed to do”.
Never believe the hype of shoestring budgets when those clubs suddenly are over £10 million in a hole.

The Falkirk team of the LATE 1970's was very poor. Attendances at Brockville were sparse and excitement was rare.
This season reminds me of those dark days and only a swift return to the Championship would sort it.
The fan base deserve great praise as crowds of 1500 were common in the bad years. Come on Falkirk new decade new attitude.
Underdogs to Arbroath ! Who would have thunkit?

The team of the early 70’s was excellent.

10 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The team of the early 70’s was excellent.

The Willie Cunningham era was the golden age that I have measured every Falkirk team on since.

50 years later there are only a handful of players since that would have got in the team.

Exiting football. Exciting young plyers coming through. 8-9000 crowds. We could beat anybody and the opposition knew it. Jock Stein when he drew nil nil with Falkirk to win 9 in a row was asked about only getting a draw replied. Will take a draw against Falkirk anytime, that was an excellent result for Celtic today. He was right we feared nobody.

On the cusp of greatness and we blew it ! oh how did we blow it.

The Willie Cunningham era was the golden age that I have measured every Falkirk team on since.
50 years later there are only a handful of players since that would have got in the team.
Exiting football. Exciting young plyers coming through. 8-9000 crowds. We could beat anybody and the opposition knew it. Jock Stein when he drew nil nil with Falkirk to win 9 in a row was asked about only getting a draw replied. Will take a draw against Falkirk anytime, that was an excellent result for Celtic today. He was right we feared nobody.

Saw my first game as a 5 year old in ‘68 so just a wee bit young to fully appreciate how good a team we had early 70’s.
Sadly the dross of the Centenary year onwards is clearer in my memory.

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Nah.... Leishman had success as manager when his hands were tied behind his back, latterly had cash similar to Jefferies at Falkirk and had success later too. I hate Leishman with a passion and respect him too, I also hate McKinnon but respect needs to be earned.

The link you made between Leishman and McKinnon is ridiculous on managerial ability.

9 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Posting out drinking on a Saturday and would then play reserves Monday afternoon.

How regular was this? Every week? If it was an issue why keep posting things on social media? Genuine questions as I don't follow him on social media so can only go by comments on here. Either way not professional in this day and age. 

How regular was this? Every week? If it was an issue why keep posting things on social media? Genuine questions as I don't follow him on social media so can only go by comments on here. Either way not professional in this day and age. 

Aye every week. He wasn’t anywhere near fit enough to play at the level they was required of him on a weekly basis.

Still though he showed passion when he played and that swayed the Jack Daniels brigade in our support.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

8 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Aye every week. He wasn’t anywhere near fit enough to play at the level they was required of him on a weekly basis.

Still though he showed passion when he played and that swayed the Jack Daniels brigade in our support.

Pretty much, loved a manikee night out.

That was the day we got relegated. Bottom of the league and utterly dross. The previous 3/4 years were the good years