The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

A Partick fan at work is saying that they are looking to release Tommy Robson if they can get more defensive cover in this month.

Would we take him back? Maybe move Dixon into the CH.

My mate says he has been absolutely gantin when he’s managed to start with Partick. Although he has played about every position on the park and never been settled in one position.

Hell to the no.

5 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Didn’t understand the love with the guy, performances were so erratic and was found in no mans land continually. Tbf had a decent left peg and cross, unfortunately nothing else.

Probably would do a very good job at this level mind you especially if we are playing a back 3. We could then play dixon at lcb and him at lwb. 

8 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Didn’t understand the love with the guy, performances were so erratic and was found in no mans land continually. Tbf had a decent left peg and cross, unfortunately nothing else.

I think it's cause you could picture him going to games on a supporters bus with a bottle of MD. He was relatable and put in a power of effort. I get why he was likeable but I didn't ever see enough from him to want him to stay.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Probably would do a very good job at this level mind you especially if we are playing a back 3. We could then play dixon at lcb and him at lwb. 

Plenty of this chat around most of our signings this season yet we still aren’t top of the league. 

Just now, gav-ffc said:

Plenty of this chat around most of our signings this season yet we still aren’t top of the league. 

Yeah I know unfortunately. I can only presume that the issue is motivation with these guys. Do they think its going to be far too easy at this level and therefor turn into dross or does the rough and tumble of league one just not suit them? Who knows.

8 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

A Partick fan at work is saying that they are looking to release Tommy Robson if they can get more defensive cover in this month.

My mate says he has been absolutely gantin when he’s managed to start with Partick. Although he has played about every position on the park and never been settled in one position.

Only if we were going 3 at the back but ideally I'd want a right wing back in too.

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

McKinnon could do neither. He is a bit like Jim Leishman....always happy to ride the next gravy train until it runs out of cash.

Which bit ?

Leishman had success and McKinnon didn't have Freddie Boswell hair

8 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

No, he can't defend and was average in one of the poorest Falkirk teams I have ever seen. Didn't understand the love in some of our fans had for him maybe it was because he had a song or kissed a badge a couple of times. The fact Partick (sitting 2nd bottom of the league) want to get rid say's it all. 

A few times he looked like a quality attacking LB going forward but for the most part he was pretty gash and was part of a truly awful side.

Dixon has actually been really good since McKinnon left and LB is no longer a main area to focus on.

We need a CB to keep Durnan out of the side and some creativity, maybe a winger.

As absurd as it sounds, our defence is the last area that we have to tamper with. Our back line may well be utter gash, but they have by far the best record in the league. Only 13 goals conceded in 21 league games has to suggest that the defence is not our main priority. But, if we do go up, our defence needs a major renovation because that shower of shite would get ripped apart every week.

Being all analytical on here is one part of being a football fan. The other part is getting sucked right into it all on a Saturday. Players like Tommy Robson appeal to the second part. You pick the bones out of it all week, the doom and gloom of watching shite players shambling about then someone like Tommy Robson bursts a gut to hit the byline and get a cross in then goes head first in amongst the fans when the ball hits the net. Its primal.

Plus, he could drink every one of us suckers under the table.

I find myself agreeing though that LB is no longer a priority though, although we do have zero cover there. The only reason to get Robson back would be for 3 5 2 and they seem to be going away from that. On that basis, sign wingers not wing backs. Stop relying on defenders to give the width.

Just now, BairnBrainBrian said:

As absurd as it sounds, our defence is the last area that we have to tamper with. Our back line may well be utter gash, but they have by far the best record in the league. Only 13 goals conceded in 21 league games has to suggest that the defence is not our main priority. But, if we do go up, our defence needs a major renovation because that shower of shite would get ripped apart every week.

Still far from convinced about the defence when we play the better sides in the league.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

People love Robson for the same reason they slag Doyle.

He’s a shit defender who acts the goat off the park and thinks he’s a great laugh.

Robson was one of the few last season who looked like he cared, I think that's why folk liked him. Granted though that defensively he was rank rotten and I wouldnt take him back.

1 minute ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Doyle isn’t knocking back the Jagerbombs on a Sunday night.

Doyle suffers when you play him as a wingback or with a diamond midfield..  He's an old fashioned right back who needs a winger to support. Dixon is exactly the same.

Doyle suffers when you play him as a wingback or with a diamond midfield..  He's an old fashioned right back who needs a winger to support. Dixon is exactly the same.

Totally agree with you on that. The boy before was talking about his off the field antics being comparable with Robsons.

I’d like to see Robson v Doyle on a bleep test.

Robson was and still is a mess with the drink off the park.