The Falkirk FC Thread

30 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I would disagree there. Most clubs in the EPL have very good fullbacks that can do a job in a diamond..

Leicester    Chilwell and Perreira

Chelsea    Azpilicueta and Alonso

Man U  wan-bissaka and Shaw

Man City  Walker and Mendy

Liverpool   robertson and Alexander-Arnold

Everton  Digne and Coleman

etc.

Fair enough, might concede a wee bit ground there. Watched an interesting tifo football video on youtube where they were saying that due to their traditional 'square' midfield formation relying so much on the fullbacks, Brazil only tend to have successful teams when they have two very good ones.

Edited by Gordon EF

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The crowd Linlithgow Rose got against Raith a few years ago in the cup was given as 2250 odd, and there was still space inside the ground for more folk. Hopefully they can push it up a good bit from its current 'capacity' 

And also 2200 against Hibs last season. Reckon due to the evening kick off the grass bank will be out of bounds.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Fair enough, might concede a wee bit ground there. Watched an interesting tifo football video on youtube where they were saying that due to their traditional 'square' midfield formation relying so much on the fullbacks, Brazil only tend to have successful teams when they have two very good full backs.

Yeah they had attacking fullbacks before anyone really.   You can think back to Nilton Santos, Djalma Santos, Carlos Alberto ,Branco, Roberto Carlos, Josimar, Cafu and Alves etc.

Serving his apprenticeship before taking over at the Bairnabeu.

Sadly if he makes a good job of it he will get a bigger job than us. If he makes a roaring hunt of it you wouldn’t want him

1 hour ago, JinkyBairn said:

What a load of shite.

How is it shite? Ayr are punching above their weight just now for a club that has spent as many seasons  in league one as the championship in recent times. Mccall did a fantastic job getting them challenging at the top but its going to be extremely hard to keep that up considering their crowds and budget. Hard act to follow if you ask me but good luck to him.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Fair enough. I tend to think the talk about certain formations or tactics not working at certain levels is mostly rubbish. Of course if you have great players then most sensible formations will probably work most of the time at any level.

There's probably something to the idea that there's an an advantage to playing a more 'standard' formation at part time level.  When managers can't work with players every day, it's probably more difficult to mould players into an unfamiliar system effectively. With a straight forward 4-4-2, every player is going to understand their role and have played in that system before.

A diamond does rely on having very good full backs but surely that's about the relative strength of those players, rather than the absolute level of the team. Liverpool and Man City probably have the full backs (at least) to make a diamond work but not many other teams in the EPL would, for example.

I’m with the Dog on this one. There are a number of permutations of formation that depend heavily on player skill sets. However, your point about coaching time and players “understanding” and “knowing”’the system is very valid at this level.

However, that begs the question about Ray...how is he so blind with regard to some of these players being absolutely unable to make a formation work? Yes, he seems to have relented, but you just just know that with a setback or two, he’ll go right back to it. Is it simply that he believes himself above this level and that the players and fans canna see the wisdom of his thinking?

It’s a right poser, because he’s done this shite before. Assuming you can jettison the above personnel in Jan, will there be suitable replacements for them?

As I figure it, the results are:

MC takes over and keeps Ray

MC takes over and fires Ray

Takeover fails, MSG keeps Ray

Takeover fails, MSG fires Ray

I’m wondering if Ray hasn't done well enough to keep the wolves at bay, because is one point out of first, with a better goal differential, a firing offense? If MC takes over, perhaps...if the MSG is still holding the wheel, is it? It’s sad to say that, because if a team goes on a tear, they could be out of reach of Ray’s methods pretty quickly...and does anyone trust Ray in the play-offs?

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’m with the Dog on this one. There are a number of permutations of formation that depend heavily on player skill sets. However, your point about coaching time and players “understanding” and “knowing”’the system is very valid at this level.

However, that begs the question about Ray...how is he so blind with regard to some of these players being absolutely unable to make a formation work? Yes, he seems to have relented, but you just just know that with a setback or two, he’ll go right back to it. Is it simply that he believes himself above this level and that the players and fans canna see the wisdom of his thinking?

It’s a right poser, because he’s done this shite before. Assuming you can jettison the above personnel in Jan, will there be suitable replacements for them?

As I figure it, the results are:

MC takes over and keeps Ray

MC takes over and fires Ray

Takeover fails, MSG keeps Ray

Takeover fails, MSG fires Ray

I’m wondering if Ray hasn't done well enough to keep the wolves at bay, because is one point out of first, with a better goal differential, a firing offense? If MC takes over, perhaps...if the MSG is still holding the wheel, is it? It’s sad to say that, because if a team goes on a tear, they could be out of reach of Ray’s methods pretty quickly...and does anyone trust Ray in the play-offs?

I cant see the msg sacking him if things keep going as  they are. If we've only lost 2 games by halfway then theres no chance of them changing things.If MC gets in and has his own man in mind then he could get punted no matter what the situation is. Since he ditched the diamond we've won 3 and drawn 2. For 12 against 2. If we keep that up we should be ok.  

6 minutes ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

I am more worried about Ray getting a new contract than I am in winning this league.

I know what you mean mate. If he makes a meal out of this with the budget advantage he has how will he ever get us promoted having already failed miserably with a much bigger budget at united.

Said before....he hasn’t won a league, and I see nothing to say he’s got what it takes to win this one. He is all about not losing games, not about winning them. I have yet to see him look genuinely downhearted at drawing a game.

He has managed Falkirk against teams he has previously managed ten times, and hasn’t won a single game.

There’s just something about the man that doesn’t ring true. He most certainly isn’t a motivational speaker, and has demonstrated that he isn’t tactically clued up.

His only shot at success is being given such a superior budget and squad that any manager in the lower leagues would fancy their chances of winning the title......but his time at DU casts a shadow over his ability to come good even in those circumstances.

Said before....he hasn’t won a league, and I see nothing to say he’s got what it takes to win this one. He is all about not losing games, not about winning them. I have yet to see him look genuinely downhearted at drawing a game.
He has managed Falkirk against teams he has previously managed ten times, and hasn’t won a single game.
There’s just something about the man that doesn’t ring true. He most certainly isn’t a motivational speaker, and has demonstrated that he isn’t tactically clued up.
His only shot at success is being given such a superior budget and squad that any manager in the lower leagues would fancy their chances of winning the title.

In the words of the great Irvine Welsh he appears to be a soft c~nt.
Can’t see him dominating or even inspiring a dressing room.
A pair of beige slippers in human form.

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I cant see the msg sacking him if things keep going as  they are. If we've only lost 2 games by halfway then theres no chance of them changing things.If MC gets in and has his own man in mind then he could get punted no matter what the situation is. Since he ditched the diamond we've won 3 and drawn 2. For 12 against 2. If we keep that up we should be ok.  

And that may be the cruelest cut of all. Despite being a Rovers fan, seeing someone else deal with Ray isn’t that much fun. His singular ability to destroy players willingness to play would be impressive otherwise.

14 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Don’t want to keep harping on about our pre season signings and those we released, but I see Lavery scored another hat trick including a cheeky back heeler that made the BBC Sport headlines....

I was told he had a hamstring problem when he was with us that limited his time on the park.