The Falkirk FC Thread

4 wins from 9 isn’t good enough, whether we’ve only lost once or not. One of the main reasons we’re in this diddy league is because of the amount of draws we had last season once McKinnon assembled a team in January. Low and behold he has his own team fully now and we’re still drawing too many.
We’ve played everyone once now and if you base current form and take that over the next 3 quarters we won’t win the league, which is a priority.

Agreed. not enough emphasis on winning games. even at this relatively early stage of the season Dumbarton have lost 4x as many games as we have yet are only 3 points behind us. better going for the jugular every game and taking the odd loss. we shoukd have the players to go toe to toe with any other and at least we would be entertained

Listening to Ray and his interview, pondering the fans comments, watching the team play, and looking at the team data, one thing seems pretty clear: Ray doesn’t really believe in the team he’s put together!

To wit:

1) Little things cost us the game...the manager suggesting that the team failed to execute his plan (truth of the statement is irrelevant)

2) We showed we can compete...the manager considers his team quite possibly unable to win at his top two or three competitors parks, and thinks a draw is the answer there, not tactical adjustments or lineup changes.

3) His body language was clear, he won...the team got a tie, despite failing to execute, his plan is working.

4) We were the best team for 60 minutes...the team followed instructions at first and then let me down, the explicit version of #1.

Ray is pretty sure that he has a team that might do to make the playoffs, but doesn’t really believe he can assuredly win the league with them, despite his spending. He’s terrified to risk anything against a team like East Fife or Raith, teams that look pretty strong, because a loss would call his abilities into question and risk his make the playoffs at least strategy. He’s terrified because he hired a bucket of players, tried to build Frankenstein from the parts, and then found he had three right legs and no left leg (metaphorically).

Ray has not shown any ability to form a team from the bits and bobs he’s acquired, and the massively inconsistent scale of play of Falkirk shows that to be a fact. So here’s the million dollar question, exactly what has the BoD and/MC said to Ray?

I think the BoD has told Ray that he needs to stay in contact with the top of the table, while they deal with MC. MC, who knows, but will playing in the Championship allow development  and showcasing of young players as much as playing at League One level? That’s one conspiracy theory that could explain quite a bit, but it wouldn’t allow much club income for the scheme. Does anyone feel the BoD has told Ray it’s get promoted or get stuft? He doesn’t act like it.

I suspect Ray will be around till at least Christmas, and Falkirk will keep bobbing along between first and fourth,  o more than about 3 points up or 6 points down, until someone holds Ray’s feet to the fire (most likely) or cans him. In the end, this smells like a potential lost season. Prediction: Falkirk keep Ray and finish second or third, then fail to win promotion OR Falkirk fire Ray and possibly win the league with a game or two to go, depending on the replacement.

Dearie, dearie, me!

Folk don't have to wonder why some Falkirk fans are viewed as arrogant Billy Big Baws. 

You're in among the seawashed flotsam and jetsam of Scottish fitba' on merit and it's a tough tough gig to get above the tideline and off the beach. No team has a given right to this. Poetic justice if you're beached here for a season or two.

Some weird logic here.

Yes, we are in this league on merit.....the merit being what the manager and players at the club managed to achieve last season....it has absolutely nothing to do with expectations for this season.

Can’t agree about it being a “tough tough gig”. How many wholly full time sides have failed to achieve it at the first time of asking? You could point to Dunfermline, but there’s context there given their financial shenanigans.

You’re right, no team has a “given right”, but in Falkirk’s case, it’s hardly an arrogant or outlandish expectation.

Where does your “poetic justice” fit in, or is it simply not a poetic justice situation, and you have simply used the phrase where it isn’t even remotely applicable?

Listening to Ray and his interview, pondering the fans comments, watching the team play, and looking at the team data, one thing seems pretty clear: Ray doesn’t really believe in the team he’s put together!
To wit:
1) Little things cost us the game...the manager suggesting that the team failed to execute his plan (truth of the statement is irrelevant)
2) We showed we can compete...the manager considers his team quite possibly unable to win at his top two or three competitors parks, and thinks a draw is the answer there, not tactical adjustments or lineup changes.
3) His body language was clear, he won...the team got a tie, despite failing to execute, his plan is working.
4) We were the best team for 60 minutes...the team followed instructions at first and then let me down, the explicit version of #1.
Ray is pretty sure that he has a team that might do to make the playoffs, but doesn’t really believe he can assuredly win the league with them, despite his spending. He’s terrified to risk anything against a team like East Fife or Raith, teams that look pretty strong, because a loss would call his abilities into question and risk his make the playoffs at least strategy. He’s terrified because he hired a bucket of players, tried to build Frankenstein from the parts, and then found he had three right legs and no left leg (metaphorically).
Ray has not shown any ability to form a team from the bits and bobs he’s acquired, and the massively inconsistent scale of play of Falkirk shows that to be a fact. So here’s the million dollar question, exactly what has the BoD and/MC said to Ray?
I think the BoD has told Ray that he needs to stay in contact with the top of the table, while they deal with MC. MC, who knows, but will playing in the Championship allow development  and showcasing of young players as much as playing at League One level? That’s one conspiracy theory that could explain quite a bit, but it wouldn’t allow much club income for the scheme. Does anyone feel the BoD has told Ray it’s get promoted or get stuft? He doesn’t act like it.
I suspect Ray will be around till at least Christmas, and Falkirk will keep bobbing along between first and fourth,  o more than about 3 points up or 6 points down, until someone holds Ray’s feet to the fire (most likely) or cans him. In the end, this smells like a potential lost season. Prediction: Falkirk keep Ray and finish second or third, then fail to win promotion OR Falkirk fire Ray and possibly win the league with a game or two to go, depending on the replacement.
Some of this is ok, but I dont see anyone who can put us down into 4th, and I dont see East Fife keeping up with us our yourselves.

If you put yourself in Ray's shoes, where we are in the league and our results so far, it would be the easiest thing in the world to put a positive spin on it.

The best GD, only lost one game, only conceded 4 goals, one win off the top spot and still a relatively new squad.

Regardless of how bad a manager we know he is, he can use these facts to argue his corner, and on face value, he would have a good case.

If you put yourself in Ray's shoes, where we are in the league and our results so far, it would be the easiest thing in the world to put a positive spin on it.
The best GD, only lost one game, only conceded 4 goals, one win off the top spot and still a relatively new squad.
Regardless of how bad a manager we know he is, he can use these facts to argue his corner, and on face value, he would have a good case.
It can be spun to the outside world, but what do the MSG do in terms of self preservation when the takeover falling flat goes straight in at number one on their very strong minter chart? The fans arent buying any spin regarding the football on show, and are probably laying off McKinnon because they know that the MSG are sitting tight to sell to MC, and that MC will likely bin him.

If it doesnt come off, that leaves them responsible for getting us out of this league i cluding if neccessary funds in January (it will be neccessary)

To leave him in place thrpugh the inevitable flak THEN trust him with more money would be some leap of faith. Would they do that just to avoid the beamer of sacking him after the f**k about getting him, when clearly, if they are still in place then they have managed a much much greater and more humiliating f**k up.

If the MSG stay, Ray McKinnon would be some hill for them to die on

With the facts/fiction that we know on MC, i cannot get my head around the fact that we would consider selling to him for 1 minute. The MSG have been disappointing for a number of seasons, but we cannot doubt that SA/AT and a couple of others are first and foremost Falkirk fans, Even Lex is not daft enough not to realise if he sells us to MC and it goes as bad as we all fear. he still has to work within the local area and open himself up to any amount of venom from raging fans should the worst happen as we suspect it might. Surely it has to be a "NO" to MC or they know something that we all don't!! 

The MSG are by their own admittance, fractured. There is almost certainly a divide between those that want to take the money and run, and those not buying into the MC fluff.

It’s hard to imagine the likes of SA or MR knowingly doing something that they know is going to damage the club. Others would hope that the view that they are not the sharpest tolls in the box could continue on the basis of “forgive them because they know not what they do”.

MC seems to flit between “I” and “we”. For me personally, it will be a bit of a shock if it goes through. Some will want it to, and some won’t.

Of course, in the meantime, McKinnon is getting away with some of the most inept management of recent times....and that’s saying something.

The manner in which he dismissed Saturday’s turnaround having anything to do with his lack of insight was worrying, and another demonstration of his absolute inability to see the wood for the trees.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Some of this is ok, but I dont see anyone who can put us down into 4th, and I dont see East Fife keeping up with us our yourselves.

I generally agree with that about fourth, unless Ray loses the room. If that happens, it’s Katie bar the door! I think a lot of people are selling East Fife short, I think as long as they can keep their manager, they are a threat this year...but he’s got to be drawing some looks. Otherwise, Duffy has defied my predictions and has the Sons playing, so anything is possible.

55 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Can we actually do something about getting rid of McKInnon, like chanting for his head instead of sitting on our hands? Along with the boardroom drama, he is killing my passion for even watching the 11 on a Saturday.

Who's going to fire him and employ the new guy?

We have a board set to finish up and a guy coming in who isn't allowed to do anything.

In summary we are stuck with Ray until MC gets the keys.

7 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Who's going to fire him and employ the new guy?

We have a board set to finish up and a guy coming in who isn't allowed to do anything.

In summary we are stuck with Ray until MC gets the keys.

I don't think MC is getting the keys. 

So in that scenario, what wpuld the board feed the fans so that they don't get eaten themselves?

9 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Can we actually do something about getting rid of McKInnon, like chanting for his head instead of sitting on our hands? Along with the boardroom drama, he is killing my passion for even watching the 11 on a Saturday.

His name, annoyingly, doesn't fit neatly into any of the classic chants. 

Ray rhymes with Go Away so I'll see if I can workshop something. Free week this week which gives me some extra time.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

His name, annoyingly, doesn't fit neatly into any of the classic chants. 

Ray rhymes with Go Away so I'll see if I can workshop something. Free week this week which gives me some extra time.

Give him the full Sunday name and it fits ok with "Raymond, get tae f**k"

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

To the tune of ‘Please don’t go’.

Ray, it’s time to go,

And, we want you to know,

That we’re gonna win the league,

The minute you walk out the door !

Ray must go !

Ray must go !

Ray must go !

Ray must go !

Can someone hit MC up on twitter ask him if he will fund KWS at the stadium to provide the muisc for this and we will sing the song ..lol