The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, inreganhendrywetrust said:

Raith rovers fan here - I can feel your pain after we dropped down to this league we had a strong strong team yet could not get the results. It’s a very tricky league to get out of

Doesn't help when you lose to Brechin fucking City in the play offs 😄 and then fail to win spectacularly on I believe the last day at home to Alloa to gift Ayr the title who's fans had given up the title the week before. 

1 hour ago, inreganhendrywetrust said:

Raith rovers fan here - I can feel your pain after we dropped down to this league we had a strong strong team yet could not get the results. It’s a very tricky league to get out of

It wasnt tricky for livi , qos or sevco and the pars won it at a canter once they had got their house back in order.  Its only difficult if you have the wrong clown in charge managing your team. Whilst Mckinnon has signed players of a higher quality I still question the need for so many one paced midfielders . Feck me Tidser is as slow as a week in the jail as are Mcshane and Gomis. Telfer is slightly quicker but not by much.  IN this league you need to move the ball quickly and have guys out wide that can stretch defences and rip the plumbers and builders they are up against a new one.  Our team may suit open games of football in the championship as we showed against Ayr but it doesn't suit playing against teams you have to break down . I'd also question whether he can actually motivate the players he has signed as they seemed to be simply going through the motions on Saturday.

Steered myself away from here on Saturday night so I didn't have a rant about Tidser.  Old guy in front of me at the match had a go because I was criticising him too much.  I asked what I was missing - apparently Telfer was just as bad but I wasn't criticising him as much.

I literally can't find anything positive to say about Tidser's performance on Saturday.  Way too slow in possession and in no man's land every time the ball was near him.  Summed up late on in the half when the ball was launched up the park towards him, he stopped a couple of metres before the defender when there was more than enough time to back in and take the ball, never mind challenge for it, leaving the defender with a free header and Tidser no chance of winning the ball or the second ball which went right back into midfield.

The manager isn't blameless here.  Tidser is clearly a defensive midfielder (distribution too slow to play in that position in this league perhaps) but spent the last 5-10 minutes before half time playing as a number 10.  Suggests that the manager brought in players withough considering how they might play in this league, which is worrying.

It seems to me like all he has done for this season's team is sign 'names'.  As in players you lot have all heard of. Hoping they'll gel and be a good team.

through the years i've never thought falkirk was a "work hard, grind it out" team.  We've tended to try and play football and had at least one player you'd pay to watch.  Ray's teams are boring.  That's the bottom line.

long time ago , but the partick game last January was the killer for me.  We were simply garbage and camped in our box the whole game.  He doesn't give the players the belief to go and play.  but post match it's all " listen,    ......we worked really haaaard"  and we were supposed to be pleased.  

He's not the man for me.  I'm not one to go after a manager but despite some decent results this year, his approach to football is mind numbing.  Not a long term option.

Edited by tirso

6 minutes ago, TottsTrumps said:

Steered myself away from here on Saturday night so I didn't have a rant about Tidser.  Old guy in front of me at the match had a go because I was criticising him too much.  I asked what I was missing - apparently Telfer was just as bad but I wasn't criticising him as much.

I literally can't find anything positive to say about Tidser's performance on Saturday.  Way too slow in possession and in no man's land every time the ball was near him.  Summed up late on in the half when the ball was launched up the park towards him, he stopped a couple of metres before the defender when there was more than enough time to back in and take the ball, never mind challenge for it, leaving the defender with a free header and Tidser no chance of winning the ball or the second ball which went right back into midfield.

The manager isn't blameless here.  Tidser is clearly a defensive midfielder (distribution too slow to play in that position in this league perhaps) but spent the last 5-10 minutes before half time playing as a number 10.  Suggests that the manager brought in players withough considering how they might play in this league, which is worrying.

Exactly. We've got  3 players that can play the holding midfielder role but are hopeless in any other position.  In this league one of them is more than enough.  Recruitment this season reminds me of Hughes's first season at Stenny when he kept on signing any decent player that became available and we ended up with 9 midfielders and 2 strikers.  We should've had far more variety in our recruitment.  Most weeks you are playing against teams who whilst not parking the bus will flood the midfield are well organised defensively and make it difficult for you.  Last thing you need are loads of players that can stroke the ball about and keep possession but create hee haw with it. 

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

His “We are 2nd in the league with a team that has just been built” is his early season “we are in the mix, we are there or thereabouts”. Of course, we then get the bluster of “we are going to grow stronger”.

If the team does indeed begin to forge understandings and results improve, I doubt that it will have much to do with McKinnon’s input. Two away games with one draw, one defeat and no goals tells you exactly how this guy is planning on playing this season.......just like last season. He gets to sign better players than last season, has the club now down in the seaside league, and yet he still tries to cobble together materplans in the hope of getting draws in away games. Jesus Aitch Christ.

this is it.  he's not a winner.  his approach is slow tempo and grind the game out.  That's not Falkirk and I don't want it to be.

his cautious approach cost us last season as well.  We weren't playing Brazil but were playing ten men, lone striker the entire time.  no plan b.

18 minutes ago, tirso said:

through the years i've never thought falkirk was a "work hard, grind it out" team.  We've tended to try and play football and had at least one player you'd pay to watch.  Ray's teams are boring.  That's the bottom line.

Hear hear. What I have always thought differentiated us was we'd always have 2 or 3 players in the team who could put their foot on the ball or go past someone with a bit of a swagger. 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Hear hear. What I have always thought differentiated us was we'd always have 2 or 3 players in the team who could put their foot on the ball or go past someone with a bit of a swagger. 

Thought telfer was going to be that kind of player but hes very hit or miss although the lack of options out wide wont help. Teams know we only attack through the middle as our fullbacks cannot cross the ball even though they are expected to provide all the width.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It wasnt tricky for livi , qos or sevco and the pars won it at a canter once they had got their house back in order.  Its only difficult if you have the wrong clown in charge managing your team. Whilst Mckinnon has signed players of a higher quality I still question the need for so many one paced midfielders . Feck me Tidser is as slow as a week in the jail as are Mcshane and Gomis. Telfer is slightly quicker but not by much.  IN this league you need to move the ball quickly and have guys out wide that can stretch defences and rip the plumbers and builders they are up against a new one.  Our team may suit open games of football in the championship as we showed against Ayr but it doesn't suit playing against teams you have to break down . I'd also question whether he can actually motivate the players he has signed as they seemed to be simply going through the motions on Saturday.

I have to agree, watching the highlights what struck was how slow and sluggish we are especially in midfield.

Clyde seemed to have much more impetus and desire.

Our crossing was woeful and it looked like we were the League One stalwarts.

I don't accept Ray's excuse that the team has recently been built , it should be sorted by now.  

I think if MC takes over Ray will be the least of our worries

Ray should be able to take you over the line once Campbell has made his multi million pound investment into the squad, no?

Just now, Enigma said:

Ray should be able to take you over the line once he’s made his multi million pound investment into the squad, no?

I dont know what this fellas angle is but i expect more to be taken from the club than he puts in.