The Falkirk FC Thread

We are absolutely 100% not winning the league with a squad of 18. That means most weeks we’ll have 3 or 4 empty spaces on the bench. Telfer and Connolly are going to get booted from pillar to post, no way are they both going all season without injuries. 

Even if it’s guys on sweetie money we need a minimum of two extra bodies. Blair Malcolm couldn’t have been on much at Cowdenbeath, likewise Ciaran Summers. Even if it has to be part time contracts, 6 month deals or whatever - we need them in. 

16 minutes ago, CPBAIRN said:

We are absolutely 100% not winning the league with a squad of 18. That means most weeks we’ll have 3 or 4 empty spaces on the bench. Telfer and Connolly are going to get booted from pillar to post, no way are they both going all season without injuries. 

Even if it’s guys on sweetie money we need a minimum of two extra bodies. Blair Malcolm couldn’t have been on much at Cowdenbeath, likewise Ciaran Summers. Even if it has to be part time contracts, 6 month deals or whatever - we need them in. 

I wouldnt sign them the now. Give them some game time as trialists the first few games and then sign up a few.

59 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Grim when there’s no money to even bring in the trialists who are still about.

There's only the one still about, and it's not exactly a secret who he is, given that he was identified from Falkirk Herald pics on the very first day of training. The other lad who you'll have seen today - a former academy goalkeeper - is just training with us. Albeit he was (wrongly) named in the "lost generation" slide that the guys who called the EGM listed in their presentation yesterday as having been lost to Bury. I presume he's now left them.

Anyway, given that the outfield trialist has been with us exactly a month today I think it would be reasonable to assume that he expects to get something from FFC eventually. Otherwise he would surely have moved on a while ago. My concern is that if we do manage to get him in, he'll be the very last addition to the squad. Unless something changes in terms of ownership, obviously.  

I hope we do get him though. I had a long chat with him on the touchline today and he's a Clyde fan who, like me, absolutely detests Rangers. We need more people like that at our club.  :thumsup2

Suspect the board think the boycotting STs will renew before Aug 10 and that even if they don't renew will just PATG.

Either way the board win and as long as the team are winning it will be harder to stay away and the board will get their money anyway.

From this income I expect the club to pick up a couple of signings in the coming weeks (hopefully)

Edited by Gaz FFC

There's only the one still about, and it's not exactly a secret who he is, given that he was identified from Falkirk Herald pics on the very first day of training. The other lad who you'll have seen today - a former academy goalkeeper - is just training with us. Albeit he was (wrongly) named in the "lost generation" slide that the guys who called the EGM listed in their presentation yesterday as having been lost to Bury. I presume he's now left them.
Anyway, given that the outfield trialist has been with us exactly a month today I think it would be reasonable to assume that he expects to get something from FFC eventually. Otherwise he would surely have moved on a while ago. My concern is that if we do manage to get him in, he'll be the very last addition to the squad. Unless something changes in terms of ownership, obviously.  
I hope we do get him though. I had a long chat with him on the touchline today and he's a Clyde fan who, like me, absolutely detests Rangers. We need more people like that at our club.  :thumsup2
Given that *name redacted* has been known to offer emergency cover at LB and play virtually everywhere in midfield, I'd say it makes sense that he'll be the one McKinnon is looking at getting in.

Any idea what the delay might be in offering him a deal?

49 minutes ago, CPBAIRN said:

Bullshit

Small Squad could make it harder but won't stop us winning the league

18 minutes ago, Nedelko said:

Any idea what the delay might be in offering him a deal?

I think the obvious answer is finance.

I do have a wee bit of sympathy for the board here. As fans, we want more players, better players, and the proven duds shipped out so we can bring in quality to replace them. And we want it every single window every single season.

And if it costs more than we can afford and we make a loss, then not only does someone have to cover that cost out their own pocket, but the financial consequences may be highlighted in a powerpoint presentation in bold red figures with a minus beside them, as we saw at the EGM yesterday.

I'm not defending the current owners - in fact I'm very keen to see as an absolute minimum that their voting power is broken up, and I'd like a lot more than that - but they're kind of caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have an amount of sympathy for them.

Albeit the solution is very much in their own hands.

50 minutes ago, Falkirk Till_ I Die said:

Bullshit

Dixon, Buchanan, Telfer and McManus are injured. Sammon and Gomis are suspended. 

Now pick your team...

I do have a wee bit of sympathy for the board here. As fans, we want more players, better players, and the proven duds shipped out so we can bring in quality to replace them. And we want it every single window every single season.
And if it costs more than we can afford and we make a loss, then not only does someone have to cover that cost out their own pocket, but the financial consequences may be highlighted in a powerpoint presentation in bold red figures with a minus beside them, as we saw at the EGM yesterday.
I'm not defending the current owners - in fact I'm very keen to see as an absolute minimum that their voting power is broken up, and I'd like a lot more than that - but they're kind of caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have an amount of sympathy for them.
I dont have an ounce of sympathy for them.
They got us here... so its up to them.
Maybe Superfan could give us an interest free loan ... payable over... say 50 years.
Just another thought that crossed my mind.... maybe you will know... maybe not.
Didnt we spend a few thousand ( 10s rather than 1s ) on " investigating " a safe standing area?

Bullshit
Oh it well could stop us.... dont underestimate the teams in this league,... part time or not, those players will be trying just that bit extra against us.
Take a couple of suspensions , couple of injuries ( inevitable )... and we will struggle.

If the budget has gone on what we have (with perhaps a slight cushion for one other) then agree that's McKinnon's call and not the board. Do think we'll be hard pushed even with one more addition in the door, as evidenced by how short we are on numbers already, but let's see how things play out over the next couple of weeks before we go into full panic mode. As things stand, we have a squad that should, just about, win the league.

More to your point, I'd say that the board have actually handled the playing budget quite well this summer, it's just everything else they've failed at that ultimately led to us getting here. That's why I struggle to feel sympathy towards them - especially while they cling onto a post in which it has been made clear they're not wanted.

Can't really dispute or add to anything else you've said, though, other than that it's far too well-measured a take for these parts.

16 minutes ago, bud1876 said:

Oh it well could stop us.... dont underestimate the teams in this league,... part time or not, those players will be trying just that bit extra against us.
Take a couple of suspensions , couple of injuries ( inevitable )... and we will struggle.

Exactly. We need a bigger squad.

Thought I seen someone say you could play trialists in League 1, if that counts for anything and a player is that desperate for a game.

Reduced to scrambling about looking for players desperate for a game to enable us to put a team on the park.
Sad, sad times.