The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

It depends. If they are just filling out the bench and playing the odd 20 minutes here or there, who really cares. It won't do that much damage and I'd rather that than we run Tidser and Gomis into the ground while watching Telfer and Connelly get booted about the pitch. The tackle by Moffat on Telfer at the weekend was pretty brutal I thought.

Cant say any trialist would be impressed knowing we dont have the budget to sign them, would you bother trying your arse for a contract that isnt there 

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Cant say any trialist would be impressed knowing we dont have the budget to sign them, would you bother trying your arse for a contract that isnt there 

Depends on their motivation. In some cases young triallists are at clubs purely to get experience in a senior setup.

Just now, PipoIsABairn said:

Depends on their motivation. In some cases young triallists are at clubs purely to get experience in a senior setup.

Again on the flipside of that if the player impresses and due to us not having the budget we lose him to a rival club for nothing, we truly are in shite state.

3 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Surely getting a couple of young guys in on youth contracts can’t be too costly? Just as backup.

They need to be good enough to play though when needed. No point in just signing bodies for the sake of it and having a bench full of guys that are never going to get on unless there's an emergency.

13 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I would like to think that by the time the window closes we will have signed a few loan players and perhaps the odd trialist that shows anything..  We have a very tight budget so there is no point signing players unless we know they can do a job.   Better quality loan players dont come availablein the main  till the end of the window when other sides have finished their deals for the summer.  Last thing Mckinnon wants to do is spend all his budget now and then find out better quality becomes available.

18 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I doubt we'd tell them that anyway to be honest before we gave them a run out. 

There must be young players freed from bigger clubs who want to at least be part of a first team squad and still be able hang about nightclubs claiming to be a professional player to impress the burds.

In this league not very talented 6ft Athletes in full time training will give not bad footballers who are posties and brickies a hard time. If you can run about daft, tackle a bit and give the ball to our classier players that should be enough.

33 minutes ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Vaulks did

Vaulks is a one in a million find we got lucky on Will and a lot of that is down to Will's character as a person wanting to prove folk wrong which he did, got to bare in mind how many other young players would sign a contract for to play for free or basically 3 pence, its pretty much going to be common knowledge we dont have any budget left anyway or it will be.

38 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Vaulks is a one in a million find we got lucky on Will and a lot of that is down to Will's character as a person wanting to prove folk wrong which he did, got to bare in mind how many other young players would sign a contract for to play for free or basically 3 pence, its pretty much going to be common knowledge we dont have any budget left anyway or it will be.

So if there is no budget left are we stuck with this small squad that’s already carrying a couple of injuries ??

Christ what a monumental f**k up by all involved.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Think its illegal now anyway. 

51 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So if there is no budget left are we stuck with this small squad that’s already carrying a couple of injuries ??

Christ what a monumental f**k up by all involved.

Has anyone actually said that the budget has now been totally used up?

Surely it’s pretty obvious that we can’t have everything. Yes we could have signed 22 Tom Owen-Evans and Dan Turners or 18 Tidser, Telfers and McManus.

I know what I’d prefer. 

As it stands we have a bench of probably McShane, Leitch, Johnstone, Toshney and Mutch. 

2 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Surely it’s pretty obvious that we can’t have everything. Yes we could have signed 22 Tom Owen-Evans and Dan Turners or 18 Tidser, Telfers and McManus.

I know what I’d prefer. 

As it stands we have a bench of probably McShane, Leitch, Johnstone, Toshney and Mutch. 

so can't fill our bench then? and that's with a fully fit squad

4 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I know what I’d prefer. 

Not sure Johnstone has done enough at the moment to earn a contract extension.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Just now, falkirkzombie said:

Taking into account Johnstone is only on a one month deal, and Leitch and Toshney (i think) only 6 month deals.

1 minute ago, falkirkzombie said:

He’s said he’s looking at cover for Dixon and we’ve not even looked at any loan deals yet - they tend to happen late in the window

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Not sure Johnstone has done enough at the moment to earn a contract extension.

Well if a contract extension for him is already in the budget, then I think its safe to assume not injured = enough