The Falkirk FC Thread

Rather have DKD than him tbh. What's the situation with him? 

Nobody knows. I doubt they’d get rid of both. It’s either the case that DKD is injured, or that the club is making room for a new striker.

Fight the good fight sir.
#Dece McManus would be an outstanding signing for this level and would score 10-15 goals at least.

Towards the lower end of that at the very, very best. He’s not a goal scorer.

He was his usual self of what I saw yesterday. Never finds a man. Punts the ball out the park at every opportunity. Can put in the odd decent tackle but thats about it. 

Paul Paton is the new Martin Woods. Three good games and then nothing.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Nobody knows. I doubt they’d get rid of both. It’s either the case that DKD is injured, or that the club is making room for a new striker.

Towards the lower end of that at the very, very best. He’s not a goal scorer.

Paul Paton is the new Martin Woods. Three good games and then nothing.

You forget that you don't have to be a goal scorer to get 20 goals in league one as was shown by him getting 20 last time out. He hasn't got close to that at a higher level but should get a good few back at this level.

Edited by Shodwall cat

12 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I think the only way a boycott would be successful is if it were organised by a group who were known and respected. If David and Kenny were to email everyone who signed up to the fans scheme asking them to stay away from a specific game, and get public messages of support from supporters clubs and other fan groups, that would definitely have an impact. I don't know how much but it would be noticeable in the attendance.

From the outside looking in, that looks sensible.  It might get enough support to make a statement.  If it's a one-off though, and only involves a fraction of the fans, it's possibly something that the board can weather pretty comfortably.

The trouble for individuals launching their own little boycotts isn't just that it lessens the scale; it's also doing the relevant fans more harm than it is the board, as they're denying themselves something they like doing.

There's a tipping point with these things and it doesn't sound like the supporters' side is close to reaching it.  I think that in general, football fans are pretty rubbish at this sort of collective action.  Part of that involves the fact that it's tribal, and we're used to our loyalty being towards our club whilst enmity is focused outwards rather than inwards.  Another feature too, is that as discussed, an awful lot of fans really have no interest whatever in terms of the politics of it all, confining their attention to who's playing left back on Saturday.  A further problem concerns the nature of fans' relationships with their clubs.   We are customers, but not in the traditional sense.  If we normally shop at Tesco, but something pisses us off, we'll go to Asda instead.  Football fans won't perform an equivalent switch, so really can be taken for granted.

Good luck with steps to bring about change.  It's really not easy though, and it'll get harder if the team is winning most weeks.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

56 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He reckons that’s basic human nature. If you borrow a tool from a neighbour and then break it, you apologise profusely.

However, if you own it and break it, who do you apologise to? No one, because it’s yours to use as you see fit. That’s it in a nutshell. They see the club as being theirs. Forget all the “our club” guff. They see it as their property, and if they say anything different, it’s simply patronising bollocks.

I'd go for replace using the above, the owners have got us to a level many of us have never seen at our club that they want to fix and get us back to at least our normal placing. If they do that, they may feel they can go with some sort of achievement or get better dollar for the club or even stay.

From day one, I just didn't think they'd sell this season, still continue to do so.

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Don't know why people are trying to work out whether boycotting games is working or not when its a league cup game ffs.  I went on Saturday as I didnt see the point of boycotting that game to be honest.  I will take stock after attending the EGM on friday . I was hoping that everything would be sorted  by the start of the season proper but that is now looking unlikely. Will be interesting to see how many of the 4000 from last season turn up for the first home game if nothing changes though .

4000 is a top end number and not one to use. 

If we are winning games week in week out, we will easily get 2700+ most weeks even with a boycott.

The boycott for me will hurt more for the fans than the club or the owners.

We all want change but unless the boycotting was extreme, then I don't see how that will push the owners into selling up, old school protests and pestering does more but it's not Brockville where you could make change a lot easier and quicker than at the TFS.

The EGM will be a guide tool for many but they have ridden out plenty meetings before losing and still are here, there aren't easy solutions to make them sell up

15 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I'd go for replace using the above, the owners have got us to a level many of us have never seen at our club that they want to fix and get us back to at least our normal placing. If they do that, they may feel they can go with some sort of achievement or get better dollar for the club or even stay.

From day one, I just didn't think they'd sell this season, still continue to do so.

4000 is a top end number and not one to use. 

If we are winning games week in week out, we will easily get 2700+ most weeks even with a boycott.

The boycott for me will hurt more for the fans than the club or the owners.

We all want change but unless the boycotting was extreme, then I don't see how that will push the owners into selling up, old school protests and pestering does more but it's not Brockville where you could make change a lot easier and quicker than at the TFS.

The EGM will be a guide tool for many but they have ridden out plenty meetings before losing and still are here, there aren't easy solutions to make them sell up

2700 is still 1300 folk minimum staying away due to the incompetency of the current bod/msg.

How about a game is picked where we all stay outside for the 1st 20 minutes then when entering refuse to take seats in the stand and stay down the front with constant chanting towards the board, i know the board still get the entry fee but would hopefully have a visual impact on them and highlight issues to the press. 

9 minutes ago, Sanity check needed. said:

How about a game is picked where we all stay outside for the 1st 20 minutes then when entering refuse to take seats in the stand and stay down the front with constant chanting towards the board, i know the board still get the entry fee but would hopefully have a visual impact on them and highlight issues to the press. 

Problem is you're more likely to put the team off doing that then just not turning up.

11 minutes ago, Sanity check needed. said:

You've got a whole side of the ground that can be seen from every seat - the simple protest to me would be heading over to your "4th side" and protesting on the other side of that fence, similar to how East Fife fans protested on the mound at NB. Your board doesn't get the money and every fan in the stadium is aware of your protest.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

You've got a whole side of the ground that can be seen from every seat - the simple protest to me would be heading over to your "4th side" and protesting on the other side of that fence, similar to how East Fife fans protested on the mound at NB. Your board doesn't get the money and every fan in the stadium is aware of your protest.

Great idea but not sure how it would work with the current building  going on there at them moment. Anyone been round there since it started?

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Great idea but not sure how it would work with the current building  going on there at them moment. Anyone been round there since it started?

Wasn't aware they were building on that side, thought it was still the grassland.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We definitely need to do something to keep the pressure on the board and makes us heard to a bigger audience 

With that 2nd pitch I couldn't help but think we could get a massive concert at the ground now. I know the stage would either be in front of the main stand or main stand would be miles away from the stage, but you could easily get a really big concert at the ground now, maybe even a smallish festival a main stage and a big tent. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Wasn't aware they were building on that side, thought it was still the grassland.

There's a new artificial surface being laid there at the moment. Not been round to see what the current state of play is though as to the surrounding area.

40 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

2700 is still 1300 folk minimum staying away due to the incompetency of the current bod/msg.

1300 aren’t boycotting.

Get the usual drop when your drop a division, id say tops 250 are “boycotting”

The amount of people boycotting is going to be a lot lower than what I had thought it would be, almost everyone I spoke to about it during the off-season was staying away. What I thought could've been the majority has turned out to be the minority. To be fair to them, the majority have stayed away with only a couple being forced into going because of family members buying their season tickets and what not.  I'm sure I will bump into a lot of them of them over the next couple of away games so will get a proper idea of the amount then. 

My brother-in-law works in a Grangemouth Yard and he was telling me there are half a dozen Falkirk supporters there who have been moaning all Summer about the board and telling him all about the boycott. They all bought their season tickets.

I don’t get this “boycott failed” stuff. At no point has any form of organised boycott been in place under anyone’s banner beyond the individual.
I made a choice not to renew or attend home matches until there was a change in attitude or truth and reconciliation for what they have gotten wrong, or the current power brokers quit. I haven’t failed in that at all just as everyone else who has chosen that path hasn’t failed.
Interestingly, my non footballing neighbour hit the nail on the head. He knew well enough that they have never apologised for their wrongdoing. He reckons that’s basic human nature. If you borrow a tool from a neighbour and then break it, you apologise profusely.
However, if you own it and break it, who do you apologise to? No one, because it’s yours to use as you see fit. That’s it in a nutshell. They see the club as being theirs. Forget all the “our club” guff. They see it as their property, and if they say anything different, it’s simply patronising bollocks.

I am like you I have never seen this “boycott” as anything organised merely a personal choice thing. However 25% of last years ST holders not renewing is not an insignificant number, organised or not.