The Falkirk FC Thread

I must admit, the first thing going through my head upon reading it was "Why on earth did you assume that without getting it in writing". Seems like a bit of a crazy thing to move forward on without actually getting confirmation.
I think there was little to no discussion that the club was somehow "up for sale" and the BtB scheme to my mind was a collaborative proposal between the board, MSG and BtB. The idea that the board would talk up fan ownership models, reach the point of encouraging KJ and DW, AND us as fans to get involved, only to pull the rug from under it would occur only to people as devious and twisted as the ones who perpetrated it.

In short, sometimes you have be a fucking wretch to anticipate the behaviour of one.

I dont see how they could have known to approach this with the level of caution hindsight shows us was needed.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think there was little to no discussion that the club was somehow "up for sale" and the BtB scheme to my mind was a collaborative proposal between the board, MSG and BtB. The idea that the board would talk up fan ownership models, reach the point of encouraging KJ and DW, AND us as fans to get involved, only to pull the rug from under it would occur only to people as devious and twisted as the ones who perpetrated it.

In short, sometimes you have be a fucking wretch to anticipate the behaviour of one.

I dont see how they could have known to approach this with the level of caution hindsight shows us was needed.

Yes, I was probably being unfair.  There's certainly no doubt who the villains of the piece are.

48 minutes ago, Russ said:

Andy Irving starting for Hearts tonight. Can only imagine they’ve got a load of injuries already, he’s fucking shite.

I don't think Irvings a bad player at all and to be quite honest i'd have rather seen him starting for us at centre mid towards the end of last season than Osman or Paton. Technically he's very good on the ball, he sprays the ball about well and you've got to remember he's still only 19.

Edited by BairnNecessity

I don't think Irvings a bad player at all and to be quite honest i'd have rather seen him starting for us at centre mid towards the end of last season than Osman or Paton. Technically he's very good on the ball, he sprays the ball about well and you've got to remember he's still only 19.
"I'll deal with it" @Awfulview, then promptly not dealing with it. Summed him up really.

Just now, kiddy said:
9 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

"I'll deal with it" @Awfulview, then promptly not dealing with it. Summed him up really.

Every single one of our team were rank that day.

6 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

I  agree, I think he suffered from being "lumped in" with the rest of the crap we signed. Young player who showed a lot of promise, if he had come in to a team with a bit of experience & quality I think he would have benefitted from it.

3 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

The funny thing is after last season and with having only 4/5 contracted players at the start of training the decision to axe the academy is the biggest thing that has bit them up the arse as we are struggling to find a first team to field.

Was all for the academy when they produced the goods. It was something you boasted about 8-9 home bred players with more on the bench.  But 4 seasons without one player coming through it was obvious the structure was not fit for purpose.

Mitchell and Gallacher were the only two with a bit of potential but they were a further 2 seasons at least from the first team, so that would be 6 barren years. Clearly not good enough.

If the club restart the academy then the lessons on why it went so wrong for so long have to be learned. Scouting, Signing, Coaching, First team promotion have to be fit for purpose with the right people in the right positions.

Was all for the academy when they produced the goods. It was something you boasted about 8-9 home bred players with more on the bench.  But 4 seasons without one player coming through it was obvious the structure was not fit for purpose.

Mitchell and Gallacher were the only two with a bit of potential but they were a further 2 seasons at least from the first team, so that would be 6 barren years. Clearly not good enough.

If the club restart the academy then the lessons on why it went so wrong for so long have to be learned. Scouting, Signing, Coaching, First team promotion have to be fit for purpose with the right people in the right positions.

If you are at the EGM you will soon learn what we have missed out on in the coming seasons.

I have done a good deal of research about the reasons for the fallow period and they coincide 100% when we sold the jerseys to the SFA and became Forth Valley. It took 3/4 years to recover confidence after losing a number of good players. The loss of talent that is now gone elsewhere is a scandal and we will be watching players in the coming years who I am sure will be playing for clubs in the top 6 in the country

7 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Known a couple of folk that were involved in the youth/Academy and what they said it wasnt as bad as that, there was some potential coming though before the decision to axe it.

Running an Academy is not a production line of guaranteed year on year first team quality youngsters.
Barren spells will happen but at the time the decision was taken to close the doors the signs were that a good new crop were about to emerge.
Very poor strategic decision that has set the club back years.

Heart of a pea. Not what we needed last season but agree that there's talent there.

Tomorrow's game will be interesting albeit I wont go as a matter of principle - those liars still in charge. Have we a team that has the fight to get us out of our current mess? Time will tell and tomorrow is the start of one of the most important years in our history. Bricking it!

If you keep on flogging off academy players at younger and younger ages then you're obviously going to hit a barren period eventually. To me young players should be coming through and then playing 3 or 4 seasons in the first team before being sold. We were selling some after one or two first team games and some after none at all. There was nothing wrong with the academy it was the awful stewardship of the club which meant we were desperate for cash and forced into selling to the first half decent bid that came in. 

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If the board had previous for not being trustworthy though, would it not have been wise to have secured a binding commitment?  I'm perhaps being unrealistic, displaying my own ignorance on such matters, or in turn being naive.  

Is there a board that are trustworthy in Scottish football ?

7 hours ago, Russ said:

Andy Irving starting for Hearts tonight. Can only imagine they’ve got a load of injuries already, he’s fucking shite.

He was one of Hartley's best signings and being 18, doesn't say a lot but bar his Mark Kerr shooting, I'd guess he will have s decent career

6 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We had a manager for that period in that barren spell who refused to use the academy, I'm not suggesting there was a mass talent pool but these young players need bled and will make mistakes and learn. Houston academy sales of Biabi, Blair and Gallacher probably had 30-40 starts between them if not less. He would rather play a centre half heefer at right back than our under 19 Scottish international.

As much as I love Houston, we should've binned the academy after his appointment or a year later.

You need to have management that buys into promoting youth, we never did under Houston.

I personally don't think we can rekindle the academy again, the once good name we had has been tarnished with the closure reveal and the promotion of youth to first team just wasn't there in the latter years

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Is there a board that are trustworthy in Scottish football?

While there's maybe a truth in there, it would surely be inaccurate to suggest they're all equally untrustworthy.

Anyway, as I conceded, it's probably unfair to blame anyone other than the board for what's happened here.

What's the consensus regarding their motives for sneakily derailing a relationship and plans that were fairly advanced? 

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

If you keep on flogging off academy players at younger and younger ages then you're obviously going to hit a barren period eventually. To me young players should be coming through and then playing 3 or 4 seasons in the first team before being sold. We were selling some after one or two first team games and some after none at all. There was nothing wrong with the academy it was the awful stewardship of the club which meant we were desperate for cash and forced into selling to the first half decent bid that came in. 

You make a good point. That is getting the full benefit of the final product with the add on of cashing in as a young player moves to a higher level.

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

He was one of Hartley's best signings and being 18, doesn't say a lot but bar his Mark Kerr shooting, I'd guess he will have s decent career

We had a manager for that period in that barren spell who refused to use the academy, I'm not suggesting there was a mass talent pool but these young players need bled and will make mistakes and learn. Houston academy sales of Biabi, Blair and Gallacher probably had 30-40 starts between them if not less. He would rather play a centre half heefer at right back than our under 19 Scottish international.

As much as I love Houston, we should've binned the academy after his appointment or a year later.

You need to have management that buys into promoting youth, we never did under Houston.

I personally don't think we can rekindle the academy again, the once good name we had has been tarnished with the closure reveal and the promotion of youth to first team just wasn't there in the latter years

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

It academic and we will never know if some of these players had got the last 20 - 15 minutes of some games to bring them on would have worked.

Good point with Finlayson at right back. Desperate for a player in that position. Not once did Finlayson get a start and its a case of what if. When we did do that the academy did produce. Kingsley , Fulton and Arfield that played at the highest level not that the club got any add on's - but that is a different discussion.