The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Have a fair amount of sympathy for Yogi at us. He had to work with the utter gubbins Locke had brought in and it’s clear the players were just against him from day one, with a good few just downing tools in games/not listening to his instructions from the sidelines. There was one game he was screaming at Declan McManus to drop deeper and he was pretending not to hear or being deliberately non compliant.

You're the first Raith fan I've heard thats got a good word to say about him.  When he arrived you weren't in great shape but you also weren't in the depths of relegation.  You plummeted like  a stone once he came in.

14 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

His recruitment was always pretty good with us, he unearthed gems from down south and always used the loan market well. His trouble was ditching that plan and started to sign has beens (McCann, Jackie Mac, Etc) on absolute fortunes in his final season.

Plus his tendency to sign players of international pedigree and then never play them.  Roman Wallner couldn't buy a game for us under Hughes but went on to score frequently for Red Bull Salzburg and play for them in the champions league. Denzil Theobald was another who was good enough to mark Beckham out a game at the world cup and get 99 caps for T & T but failed to get one start for us.  Ludicrous stuff.

Edited by Shodwall cat

31 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

His recruitment was always pretty good with us, he unearthed gems from down south and always used the loan market well. His trouble was ditching that plan and started to sign has beens (McCann, Jackie Mac, Etc) on absolute fortunes in his final season.

He signed about 400 players, not surprised some of them turned out to be good. If he hadn't lucked out with Latapy being available and a few punts on young guys turning out well, he'd likely not have finished his first season. 

Still thinks he should get an interview for the Scotland job though, bless him. 

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:
3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:
This year will tell us whether thats true or not.

If he doesn't play an attacking style of football and we do change owners I think he will be lucky to see September out, especially if the Indian bid is succesful.

Don't think it will matter who is I charge tbh

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

I'm not being funny, but when he did play 2 up top near the end of last season, it didn't work and we conceded goals.

Since you clearly don't like McKinnon, I'll ask you this. If we changed manager would we have anywhere near the quality we have brought in so far? I'd say no. Most of these players have mentioned that they've enjoyed working with Ray and that helped their decision.

I can't recall of us starting with two up front, perhaps chasing a game after going behind. We mainly had one up top and one behind or this so called three up top with the two wide attackers covering at full backs.

The DKD in his free role, altho great when were attacking, it was when we were under pressure the problem and basically handed the midfield to the opposition. 

We fell of a cliff under Ray for me, due to his inability to pick the best team out of what we had, which was enough, McKenna should've been dropped for starters, Paton the playmaker and setting out to keep the point we already had.

Majority if not all of our wins last season were horrific which considering last season's standard, was nothing more than an embarrassment.

He will get 3 month maybe less this season if he doesn't start well, being successful in league one with the biggest budget doesn't make him a decent manager either

Shodwell, there’s no doubt in my mind had we kept Locke we’d have been toast. Yes, a decent manager could have kept us up, but we were only heading one way when Yogi came in. As you can see from the below (I’ve drawn a Locke-Hughes line) Yogi did actually manage a few half decent results but ultimately it wasn’t enough. It’s absolutely not the case that we were “fine” when he came and and then dropped like a stone, we had been on a downward spiral since before Christmas.

I think there is a very reasonable argument to be had about who bore the most responsibility for our relegation and it’s all too easy to blame the players but some of the players we have we’re complete shirkers, shitebags, charlatans and a couple of general bad apples. It’s not so much I have a good word to say about Yogi it’s more that people forget that he was working with an absolute gang who didn’t give him anywhere close to 100%.

IMG_1707.jpg

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Shodwell, there’s no doubt in my mind had we kept Locke we’d have been toast. Yes, a decent manager could have kept us up, but we were only heading one way when Yogi came in. As you can see from the below (I’ve drawn a Locke-Hughes line) Yogi did actually manage a few half decent results but ultimately it wasn’t enough. It’s absolutely not the case that we were “fine” when he came and and then dropped like a stone, we had been on a downward spiral since before Christmas.

I think there is a very reasonable argument to be had about who bore the most responsibility for our relegation and it’s all too easy to blame the players but some of the players we have we’re complete shirkers, shitebags, charlatans and a couple of general bad apples. It’s not so much I have a good word to say about Yogi it’s more that people forget that he was working with an absolute gang who didn’t give him anywhere close to 100%.

IMG_1707.jpg

All I was pointing out was that your league position when he arrived was a lot better than when he left. Plus losing out to Brechin in a playoff who turned out to be perhaps thee worst championship side of all time  was quite an achievement. Also shouldn't forget the old no having a goalkeeper debacle.

Edited by Shodwall cat

36 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:

He signed about 400 players, not surprised some of them turned out to be good. If he hadn't lucked out with Latapy being available and a few punts on young guys turning out well, he'd likely not have finished his first season. 

Still thinks he should get an interview for the Scotland job though, bless him. 

He had no plan B either. Up to Christmas things would always be fine but then between January and the split he hadnt a scooby.  His record in the premier during that period was something like W 12 D 15 L 28 which was utterly abysmal . Happened every season and was the main reason we missed out on top 6 . We'd then pick up a but after the split against the dregs of the league but by then it was too late.  Even in our championship winning season we went from scoring  barrowloads before xmas to scraping results afterwards.  I'm sure he had a similar affliction at Hibs.

All I was pointing out was that your league position when he arrived was a lot better than when he left. Plus losing out to Brechin in a playoff who turned out to be perhaps thee worst championship side of all time  was quite an achievement. Also shouldn't forget the old no having a goalkeeper debacle.

Yes it was but had we kept Locke it could have been worse. Goalkeeper situation was our board at the times fault really, Yogi did kick up a stink about it but we had a guy on the SFA board who didn’t know the rules regarding emergency loans! The Brechin playoff was a farce, but again our goalkeeper got himself sent off in the first minute, 100% the players fault there imo. I don’t have a hell of a lot of time for Yogi but I think three men: Gary Locke, Darren Jackson and Eric Drysdale and a number of the player bear more responsibility for our relegation. This is summed up the the pathetic back slapping of Kevin Cuthbert for squaring up to Hughes after we went down, most people ignoring the fact Cuthbert had been pish all season. Yogi might have kept us up have he had a committed, skilful player like Lewis Vaughan available of course!

The thing is though, McKinnon could sign Messi, Ronaldo, Harry Kane and Mo Salah and he'd still play with just one up front.

Really hate when this patter comes out. Absolutely f**k all wrong with playing one up front that’s why majority of teams now set up with 1 up front rather than 2. Just depends on how the midfield behind is set up and that’s why bringing in the likes of Tidser, Connolly and Telfer were vital. If there’s anyone that automatically thinks 1 up front is always defensive then your clearly ken f**k all about football. Also you could have 3 up front but that doesn’t mean your playing attacking football.

Also from your example there:

Salah Messi Ronaldo

Kane

Again 1 up front. Is that negative?

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Really hate when this patter comes out. Absolutely f**k all wrong with playing one up front that’s why majority of teams now set up with 1 up front rather than 2. Just depends on how the midfield behind is set up and that’s why bringing in the likes of Tidser, Connolly and Telfer were vital. If there’s anyone that automatically thinks 1 up front is always defensive then your clearly ken f**k all about football. Also you could have 3 up front but that doesn’t mean your playing attacking football.

Also from your example there:

Salah Messi Ronaldo

Kane

Again 1 up front. Is that negative?

Nah, the midfield would be Paton, McShane and McLean with Salah, Messi and Ronaldo on the bench.

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Nah, the midfield would be Paton, McShane and McLean with Salah, Messi and Ronaldo on the bench.

Some fold would genuinely complain about the lack of a holding midfielder in the Salah/Messi/Ronaldo lineup.

26 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The Brechin playoff was a farce, but again our goalkeeper got himself sent off in the first minute, 100% the players fault there imo.

I've blanked a lot of Yogi's time with us out so might be talking pish here, but was the Penksa sending off not against Ayr in the league; a game we actually ended up winning?

5 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I challenge every single one of the 1502 people that have renewed to a personal ass whipping courtesy of Senor Bairn.

Kelpies Car Park 12pm tomorrow.

I love getting my ass whipped, preferably by someone dressed in full leather gear, unfortunately I'm busy tomorrow :babe2 xxx. 

As for the 1502 fans, the MSG have been in charge for how many years? and for all they have got wrong and (cup final and some of housties seasons) right, anyone who pretends this is a protest about the board and not how we did on the park last season is just kidding themselves on! Or there's have been protests every season for years. 

IMG_1707.thumb.jpg.5e2bf7a0120d95783b0a56f3e297b7ba.jpg

Whether the players were good enough or not wasn’t the biggest problems. We’ve seen managers come in and turn some shite players into world beaters.

The biggest problem was him not accepting any blame whatsoever. Coming out on the national news and saying regardless of what the players do now. None of them will play at this level again. Publicly slating the players individually and collectively on the national news is what finished us off.

You do that to any player on the planet, they would do exactly the same.

As for the 1502 fans, the MSG have been in charge for how many years? and for all they have got wrong and (cup final and some of housties seasons) right, anyone who pretends this is a protest about the board and not how we did on the park last season is just kidding themselves on! Or there's have been protests every season for years. 

I agree that what went on playing wise is a large part of the problem but to that I would add:

1) Accusing us of being racist in the press before allowing a police enquiry to proceed to it's conclusion. We are still being tarred as a racist support and probably will for ever more.

2) The mess they made of the McKinnon recruitment and the subsequent cost financially to the club.

3) The fact they promised the fans group that if they managed to get pledges of £800k they would allow us to purchase a stake in the club. To allow Kenny and David to put in hours of time and effort to then retract this and pull the rug by then saying they were talking to other investors.

The club has been in decline for a number of years and in my opinion unless there is change at the top it will only get worse. If the only way of showing my discontent with the board is by withholding my ST money and staying away from TFS until they are gone then that is what I will do. It is hard as I have been following Falkirk for 46 years.

That is my opinion but each to their own.

45 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I challenge every single one of the 1502 people that have renewed to a personal ass whipping courtesy of Senor Bairn.

Kelpies Car Park 12pm tomorrow.

PM me babez xx

I've not bought a season ticket, but if theres fisting in a car park, I'm in.