Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

We saw how that worked out last year 

The answer is obviously having the right mix. we seem to be getting a core of experienced players for the first team which I agree with but I'd be concerned if we continued that policy for the players on the bench/fringes of the squad. 

We need a blend of experience and promising youth to stop this cycle of gutting the team every 6 months.

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

The answer is obviously having the right mix. we seem to be getting a core of experienced players for the first team which I agree with but I'd be concerned if we continued that policy for the players on the bench/fringes of the squad. 

We need a blend of experience and promising youth to stop this cycle of gutting the team every 6 months.

The problem is where are you going to get your promising youths in league one when you don't have an academy. Any decent young prospects are hardly going to come to us.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The problem is where are you going to get your promising youths in league one when you don't have an academy. Any decent young prospects are hardly going to come to us.

Agreed, got to hope that's first on the list for the new owners.

Wonder how many loanees we are looking at this season. Attracting decent ones could make or break us, which is the other thing we need to remember for both this and next season aside from the signings.

Loanees were our best players in the last probably two seasons, and had a massive hand in keeping the other clubs up (Zanatta, Anderson, Kiltie et al) last season. Its such a crucial market now and a huge litmus test for Ray trying to get decent ones into this league.

You could argue the best we have been since we came down from the premier league was the Houston season we finished second, and only had Danny Rogers as a loan player.

I’d much prefer a full squad of signed players with the odd loanee.

Falkirk looking like a decent championship team. Just missing a goal scorer, unless there's someone I'm not thinking of.

You could argue the best we have been since we came down from the premier league was the Houston season we finished second, and only had Danny Rogers as a loan player.

I’d much prefer a full squad of signed players with the odd loanee.
Aye I agree with that totally. The last cpuple of seasons thpugh theres no escaping it. Jak and Nelson the standouts for Hartley, Rudden, DKD and Burgoyne for Ray. Sadly even for clubs bigger than ours it seems the loan market with the bigger teams carrying ever increasing pools is becoming the only way to get real talent in. Its a reality that to succeed at our level you have to utilise the loan market well. At its current level id say its a fairly new phenomemon but lets not forget a lot of us here bemoaned Housties lack of ingenuity in this regard.

Falkirk looking like a decent championship team. Just missing a goal scorer, unless there's someone I'm not thinking of.
Bobby Linn getting announced tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Tidser and Telfer are the only two who are now playing at a level significantly below their ability, and we are going to need a few more of those to power our way out of L1.

Tidser being the only one turning down championship football, but in footballing terms, what has he done to be classed as playing significantly below his level ?

The only confirmed offer for Tidser was from Morton.

As For Telfer, he is more famous for his 200,000 cost from Rangers than his football, then jumping club to club, this being his 6th at the age of 23.

If either had real genuine interest, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be here.

Tidser being the only one turning down championship football, but in footballing terms, what has he done to be classed as playing significantly below his level ?
The only confirmed offer for Tidser was from Morton.
As For Telfer, he is more famous for his 200,000 cost from Rangers than his football, then jumping club to club, this being his 6th at the age of 23.
If either had real genuine interest, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be here.

Thankfully Livingston proved that the right blend of this type of player and style can succeed. Just need to hope that its all part of a plan and not just old pals that are available.

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released from the old firm.

Murray Wallace, Conor Mcgrandles and Daryll Duffy were all at Rangers before us.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

There are players there to be cherry picked with the right scouting and encouragement. We've shown in years to be a good club to come develop and get yourself to a better level.(Will Vaulks, Luke Leahy, Lyle Taylor all I believe were Pressleys signings) Jamie Lindsays a shining example Ross County picked him up on a free and he was easily one of the best players in the championship last year and is linked with a move down south this summer.

Edited by BairnNecessity

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye I agree with that totally. The last cpuple of seasons thpugh theres no escaping it. Jak and Nelson the standouts for Hartley, Rudden, DKD and Burgoyne for Ray. Sadly even for clubs bigger than ours it seems the loan market with the bigger teams carrying ever increasing pools is becoming the only way to get real talent in. Its a reality that to succeed at our level you have to utilise the loan market well. At its current level id say its a fairly new phenomemon but lets not forget a lot of us here bemoaned Housties lack of ingenuity in this regard.

The loan signings numbers have been forced slightly by our inability to sign anyone decent permanently in the summer windows. 

1 minute ago, BairnNecessity said:

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released for the old firm.

Murray Wallace, Conor Mcgrandles and Daryll Duffy were all at Rangers before us.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

There are players there to be cherry picked with the right scouting and encouragement. We've shown in years to be a good club to come develop and get yourself to a better level.(Will Vaulks, Luke Leahy, Lyle Taylor all I believe were Pressleys signings) Jamie Lindsays a shining example Ross County picked him up on a free and he was easily one of the best players in the championship last year and is linked with a move down south this summer.

100%.

Mark Millar was the one I was thinking.

The loan signings numbers have been forced slightly by our inability to sign anyone decent permanently in the summer windows. 
That may be so, but I dont think theres any doubt that loans are becoming more and more prevalent. I guess someone woild be able to provide stats and I think they would back me up.

You are of course right in terms of numbers for us in the recent past, but I believe that the difference makers for a team like us in the future is more and more going to come from loans.

Bobby Linn getting announced tomorrow.

Guaranteed atleast 12 goals then with you having to play Forfar 4 times a season

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released for the old firm.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

Wallace and Mcgrandles wouldnt have ended up at us without us having an academy.  We don't have any format for young players of 15 or 16 to play in at the moment. Millar and Duffy signed for us when we were in the championship. You're not going to get guys of that standard wanting to play in league one.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That may be so, but I dont think theres any doubt that loans are becoming more and more prevalent. I guess someone woild be able to provide stats and I think they would back me up.

You are of course right in terms of numbers for us in the recent past, but I believe that the difference makers for a team like us in the future is more and more going to come from loans.

The problem is continuity and of course commitment at times.  Rudden was a perfect example of a decent loan. deal .Young boy wanting game time. However, you then have your Habers who can't be arsed playing for a poor team at a lower level. It is  a way of bringing in a better player than you can normally afford but has to be tempered. I think we'll see less loan signings this season as we're in league one and its not so easy to get the level of player you want to come down to that level.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Wallace and Mcgrandles wouldnt have ended up at us without us having an academy.  We don't have any format for young players of 15 or 16 to play in at the moment. Millar and Duffy signed for us when we were in the championship. You're not going to get guys of that standard wanting to play in league one.

You are though it's all about selling the fact they are going to play football. Realistically we aim to be down here for 1 season the players aren't stupid they all fully expect us to be up in the championship next year which is why they're all signing 2 year deals. You offer a youngster the chance of regular first team football and a 2 year deal when they've just been released from a premier league club then I highly doubt they'll bother about the difference between league 1 and the championship. If they are that good they should stick out like a sore thumb in league 1 and maybe even get themselves a deal after that year. 

Craig Halkett is the current high water mark in terms of hoovering up higher level dropouts which shows it is possible.

You are though it's all about selling the fact they are going to play football. Realistically we aim to be down here for 1 season the players aren't stupid they all fully expect us to be up in the championship next year which is why they're all signing 2 year deals. You offer a youngster the chance of regular first team football and a 2 year deal when they've just been released from a premier league club then I highly doubt they'll bother about the difference between league 1 and the championship. If they are that good they should stick out like a sore thumb in league 1 and maybe even get themselves a deal after that year. 

The likes of McGrandles and Wallace came to  us when they were 15/16. You can't expect to shove them into the first team in a league like league one and expect them to win you the league ffs .  They were put into the academy first and then brought through.   Without the academy and perhaps even no reserve team how are these players going to progress if they aren't playing competitive football regularly?Mark Millar was 22 when he signed for us and had already played top flight football in Hungary. With clubs after him he would never have chosen a league one side.  Daryl Duffy was 20 when he signed. Other clubs were after him including clubs abroad. Do you really think having been at loan and done well at Brechin in the championship he would've gone to a league one side?