The Falkirk FC Thread

Anyhoo, having watched RC wrap up the title, it’s even more galling to think that McKinnon couldn’t even field a side to beat that Queens outfit. They are seriously gash, yet the league table shows that we are worse.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

9 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

No doubt the board have fucked up on certain things but not sure they can take all of the blame for what Hartley done. A good manager could have put together a good team with the funds they provided. Possibly the only mistake was not having someone in-between the manager and board who knows more about football.

We all wanted Hartley and were delighted when he was given the job. Just a shame he turned out to be a complete and utter c**t of epic proportions!

using the word "all" a bit loosely there, I've never been a fan.

9 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The recruitment process is simple. Manager gets a budget. Manager decides how it's spent. Manager often moans about it in private, but he still spends what he's given. His decisions on who to sign are based on his own opinion and advice from football people he trusts. 

He does not sign players based on processes set by the board. I know this from having spoken to the different coaches & club staff who've worked for our last three managers. 

I don't know what "correct processes other decent professional clubs" have. 

I'd be interested to find out though. Can you give examples? Preferably from clubs at our level? Apart  from budget restrictions, I'd love to hear what processes Ian McCall has to follow that we should also be using. 

Scout identifies a target, discusses with manager, manager goes to watch player to assess quality , manager does research on player as to character & where player can be added to the team & in the system, manager discusses player with chairman or director of football or CEO giving justification for the signing , negotiations begin between chair/CEO & club/player on financials. Player signs or doesn't.

I agree our Chair & CEO don't have the football knowledge to assess a player , but this is an area that the club had identified as needing to fill. If we did have someone like that in place maybe they might have said look Paul you are filling our whole team with rookies untried at our level , is that not too much of a risk.

Ian McCall said in an interview the single most important relationship at his club or any club is between the manager and the chairman , they talk constantly about new targets and signings. 

I agree,  however unfortunately for us,  if as it seems quite likely that Goodwin will move onward and upwards next season whatever league we are in, it is a stick on that Hartley will be back in the  Alloa managers' chair.  Mulraney thinks the sun shines out of Hartley's erse and i suspect his mind will not be swayed despite his failings at Dundee and Falkirk.    

"Hard-ons don't make you think less. They make you think stupid. Which makes me think you must have one

12 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

This is not a joke or wind up from me - I would probably cry with joy if Yogi came back to Falkirk.

Well I heard him on BBC Sportsound , the manager's job was vacant at the time , and he said absolutely no to a return to Falkirk because of "too much bad blood". He did not elaborate so I don't know who or what he was referring to but surely  the folks he had a beef with have gone now?      

Plus he's getting more desperate now for a job.

There is no formula to employing a successful manager. The art of employing a manager like players can be the luck of a roll of a dice and unfortunately we haven't been rolling high numbers in both the manager and player departments.
I dont think someone with a bit football savvy upstairs helps all too much, would be a benefit no doubt but Alex Smith was around for years and the same carnage has been ongoing when he was here and when he was gone, in fact he gave the board the green light re Hartley

If you think they took and notice of AS you are on it early. They have had Alex Totten around the club for 17 years and never ask him anything.

Of course it helps having people who know the game in the Boardroom. People who are streetwise and do know the difference between and football and an orange would be a start.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

If you think they took and notice of AS you are on it early. They have had Alex Totten around the club for 17 years and never ask him anything.

Of course it helps having people who know the game in the Boardroom. People who are streetwise and do know the difference between and football and an orange would be a start.

The board  repeatedly acknowledged the work and assistance publicly re Alex Smith for years, so I'm guessing you have facts they didn't then ?

Boards generally have business minded people running the finance with hope they appoint the right man for the football side, let's not forget  how Man Utd appointed David Moyes on the recommendation of Sir Alex.

I'm not sticking up for our board here, they have been a bunch of clueless coonts and will take us down this season

51 minutes ago, LauriestonBairn said:

I didn’t understand the excitement when we appointed him. Was never convinced. Didn’t expect him to make a complete a*se of it either right enough!

I didn’t want Hartley from the start. I’ve always thought he was an arrogant wee tramp.

He’s the worst manager we’ve had in my lifetime, worse than Lambie imo, and fucked us over with awful signings like Dallison, ToE and Lewis.

People can say what they want about him doing well at Alloa, I don’t give a f**k about Alloa, I only care about Falkirk.

New club motto:  Expect the Expected.  My heart is hopeful we'll pull it out of the fire last two games.  My head knows from long experience it's not going to happen.

Alloa will get at least a point today and we lose 4-0 and 4.50pm we're down due to QOS better goal difference. 

I would be ecstatic if I am wrong.  Let me be wrong.

The board  repeatedly acknowledged the work and assistance publicly re Alex Smith for years, so I'm guessing you have facts they didn't then ?
Boards generally have business minded people running the finance with hope they appoint the right man for the football side, let's not forget  how Man Utd appointed David Moyes on the recommendation of Sir Alex.
I'm not sticking up for our board here, they have been a bunch of clueless coonts and will take us down this season

So you are believing what that shower are telling you?