The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

My son is named after him - that's how much he means to me. Played in the same team as him as well in a 5 a side tournament   

The Holy Trinity of Bairns will always be Stainrod, Crunchie, Latapy.  

I would add Richie Cadette to that as well, remember meeting Cadette in BTW never met a nicer fella great guy.

had a conversation with on facebook couple of years ago , thanking him for some great memories. discussed the goals from the corner. belter was he said he told the keeper he was going to do it before hand. lol class act.

Wrote a big long post but my phone collapsed before posting. Proper seething.

Anyway, here's the gist. Those years 90-95 were fantastic times to be a Bairn and thankfully for me they coincided with growing up, moving away from home and going to uni so I had the opportunity to follow the team around a whole lot more.

I've mentioned it before but my brother is a St Johnstone fan, and that day at McDiarmid I could clearly see him up the back of the East Stand, giving us pelters after they pulled a goal back from the spot. And rightly so. Oh, how their joy turned to ashes as Sir Simon lofted one over Hamilton and into the net. Genuinely the only time I've/we've gone bananas like that was when big Peter nodded one in at Hampden.

The corner at Brockville. The volley at Raith. Setting up 459 goals for Sammy in about 6 matches. Consecutive home matches finishing 7-1 and 5-1 immediately after Sammy's hat trick at Broomfield. Taking 8 million fans to Fir Park to give Motherwell a cracking game, ruined by Baptie getting his cheek smashed by that big cuddy Cusack. The diving header v Celtic. Kneeling on the ball. Being live on t' telly and annihilating Ayr. So many happy memories.

[I must admit to a feeling of hmmmm though, at the Musselburgh story. Rangers were spending megabucks and Dundee United were coming to the end of the McLean glory years but still a fearsome team. Simon's story that he basically ripped the piss out of all of them might be overegging the pudding a bit. Or maybe they were treating a preseason 6 a side tournament as only a wee kickabout.]

10 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

He was also before my time, would have loved to have seen him. Missed crunchy too. Was lucky enough to see Latapy, what a player he was. If the other two were better/on par with him they must have been some players.

I seen them all and would not rank them in any order. Just feel blessed to have enjoyed all 3 playing for us.

Before my time but that clip is amazing. We need to get him over to the stadium more regularly.

Can get it to play on my iPhone

The full interviews are subscription for £2.99/month.

Anyone able to strip from the herald site? I have constant issues with it. Rotten

11 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

He was also before my time, would have loved to have seen him. Missed crunchy too. Was lucky enough to see Latapy, what a player he was. If the other two were better/on par with him they must have been some players.

Yeah, Crunchie, Stainrod and Latapy. The Holy Trinity, as posted elsewhere. Latapy pulled the strings more quietly if you know what I mean, just gently bossing teams. SS and KMcA were the stars, and stood out a mile.

22 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Anyone able to strip from the herald site? I have constant issues with it. Rotten

Didn't work on mobile for me either but it plays on desktop.

We still have Partick, Morton and Alloa all to play at home between now and the end of the season...I reckon we will be fine.

Looking at fixtures over the next few weeks,

Falkirk are home to Ayr, away to Ross County then home to Partick , 1 draw, a loss and a win = 4 points

QOTS are at home to the  Inverness tomorrow, then 2 away games to Dundee Utd and Ayr Utd.  Reckon thats 1 draw and 2 losses = 1 point

Alloa are at home to the fifers tomorrow, then 2 tough away games in a row, Morton and Dundee Utd , 2 draws and 1 loss = 2 points

Partick Thistle are home to Dundee Utd, then away to Falkirk and home to Inverness, 2 losses and a draw = 1 point. 

11 hours ago, Sgt Bilko said:

Still haven't really forgiven Totten for destroying that tape at St Johnstone. Just walking down the stairs with my pie looking for a seat when Simon fired one in from the halfway line. 

I remember my dad grabbing me by the shoulders and ragdolling me all over the place shouting "WHAT A F*****G GOAL" . Not like him at all to lose his shit but I think as a young lad I wasn't appreciating hard enough!

We still have Partick, Morton and Alloa all to play at home between now and the end of the season...I reckon we will be fine.
Looking at fixtures over the next few weeks,
Falkirk are home to Ayr, away to Ross County then home to Partick , 1 draw, a loss and a win = 4 points
QOTS are at home to the  Inverness tomorrow, then 2 away games to Dundee Utd and Ayr Utd.  Reckon thats 1 draw and 2 losses = 1 point
Alloa are at home to the fifers tomorrow, then 2 tough away games in a row, Morton and Dundee Utd , 2 draws and 1 loss = 2 points
Partick Thistle are home to Dundee Utd, then away to Falkirk and home to Inverness, 2 losses and a draw = 1 point. 

Beat Ayr tonight and then anything from Tuesday would be a massive bonus going into next weekends game.

If we win tonight grab a point on Tuesday we could potentially be 5 points ahead of Partick before we play them. Beat Partick at home then it’s game over, no way they will over take us from there.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

https://clyp.it/ehldbabs

Here's just the audio, the mans a fucking hero

Anyone have the famous photo of him holding the cup aloft?

Edited by superandy_07

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Wrote a big long post but my phone collapsed before posting. Proper seething.

Anyway, here's the gist. Those years 90-95 were fantastic times to be a Bairn and thankfully for me they coincided with growing up, moving away from home and going to uni so I had the opportunity to follow the team around a whole lot more.

I've mentioned it before but my brother is a St Johnstone fan, and that day at McDiarmid I could clearly see him up the back of the East Stand, giving us pelters after they pulled a goal back from the spot. And rightly so. Oh, how their joy turned to ashes as Sir Simon lofted one over Hamilton and into the net. Genuinely the only time I've/we've gone bananas like that was when big Peter nodded one in at Hampden.

The corner at Brockville. The volley at Raith. Setting up 459 goals for Sammy in about 6 matches. Consecutive home matches finishing 7-1 and 5-1 immediately after Sammy's hat trick at Broomfield. Taking 8 million fans to Fir Park to give Motherwell a cracking game, ruined by Baptie getting his cheek smashed by that big cuddy Cusack. The diving header v Celtic. Kneeling on the ball. Being live on t' telly and annihilating Ayr. So many happy memories.

[I must admit to a feeling of hmmmm though, at the Musselburgh story. Rangers were spending megabucks and Dundee United were coming to the end of the McLean glory years but still a fearsome team. Simon's story that he basically ripped the piss out of all of them might be overegging the pudding a bit. Or maybe they were treating a preseason 6 a side tournament as only a wee kickabout.]

Remember that Raith goal as if it was yesterday. Chip from midfield into the box. Simon took a step back and stuck that big backside of his into the centre half. Took a step forward killed the ball on his chest, dropped to his right thigh and he knocked it back up, spun and hit it on the drop with his left foot in the top right hand corner. This was all done in 3 to 4 seconds. Was in line with it, genius is an understatement. Some Raith players did not even know it was in the net. To be fair the Raith fans a lot of them applauded a great piece of skill, vision and positional sense. One of the best players I have seen in a Falkirk jersey and I go back the 60's.

5 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

My son is named after him - that's how much he means to me. Played in the same team as him as well in a 5 a side tournament   

The Holy Trinity of Bairns will always be Stainrod, Crunchie, Latapy.  

Aye, Simon Stainrod set me up for a goal in said tournament and I had celebrate myself as you all ran to Simon.

He also stripped naked in front of us, something Latapy or Crunchie never did.

The sad thing about modern football is that likes of Stainrod and Latapy rarely exist anymore.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yeah, Crunchie, Stainrod and Latapy. The Holy Trinity, as posted elsewhere. Latapy pulled the strings more quietly if you know what I mean, just gently bossing teams. SS and KMcA were the stars, and stood out a mile.

I loved it when Latapy chipped the Clyde goalie with a penalty because he was a bit big in the mouth in the press.

The beauty of Latapy is that he was still doing it in the top league when he was much closer to 40 than 30.

I do think the beauty of Stainrod was he said he would do X, Y and Z but would add numbers to the X,Y and Z. 

I think that's why he does top a good few of our top of the top 3 but all three deserve to be out on their own

51 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Just found this on Youtube, it would be great to see a player of the likes Stainrod to say f**k it i will take a cut to come and play just to enjoy my football again:

Does anyone know where they're training?

It's certainly not the Bleachfield, which I where is used to cycle down on a Tuesday or Thursday night to get autographs.