The Falkirk FC Thread

If I keep my cynical hat on, it pays lip service to the idea of fan ownership, gives them time to find a buyer or turn it around and get the fans off their back. 

Alas, nobody wants to buy them out and they've shown themselves to be useless at turning anything around. 

Ok, what is it worth?

Just watched the FTV highlights v Ross Co on YouTube and it is encouraging to see us a bit harder to break down. Whilst the injection of Robson and the better form of Petra is very welcome the standard is still overall pretty poor. Hopefully we can build on it and grind out a few wins.  

Incidentally YouTube, as it does, slightly randomly jumped onto the next clip which was Falkirk v Hibs in the Scottish Cup semi 2013  - jeez the difference in the standard was night and day.  Most notable was the amount of academy players in our first team - Fulton, Kingsley, Sibbald, McGrandles, Murdoch, Duffie  & Alston - SEVEN OUT OF THE STARTING ELEVEN !!

I know we tragically got beat 4-3 but our 3 goals came from 3 of those academy players, and it was a Scottish Cup semi - this current team will get nowhere near that level.

Those who dismiss the academy as not making enough money , as well as being wrong, should have a serious re-think , Campbell & Lang along with the BOD who decided to scrap it should hang their heads in shame and get hunted from our club. 

Good on this new fans group for looking to restore the academy but reversing the decision will now cost decent money thanks to the current muppets in charge.

Campbell & Lang out - gross negligence.       

Edited by Hank von Hell

Some of the aims of this takeover group seem like pie in the sky unfortunately and more aimed at gaining support than really benefiting the club i.e. reinstating the academy. 

The decision was made rightly or wrongly and it needs to be followed through. Who is going to sign their kids up to a scheme that was axed only a year ago anyway?

1 minute ago, Hank von Hell said:

Just watched the FTV highlights v Ross Co on YouTube and it is encouraging to see us a bit harder to break down. Whilst the injection of Robson and the better form of Petra is very welcome the standard is till overall pretty poor. Hopefully we can build on it and grind out a few wins.  

Incidentally YouTube, as it does, slightly randomly jumped onto the next clip which was Falkirk v Hibs in the Scottish Cup semi 2013  - jeez the difference in the standard was night and day.  Most notable was the amount of academy players in our first team - Fulton, Kingsley, Sibbald, McGrandles, Murdoch, Duffie  & Alston - SEVEN OUT OF THE STARTING ELEVEN !!

I know we tragically got beat 4-3 but our 3 goals came from 3 of those academy players, and it was a Scottish Cup semi - this current team will get nowhere near that level.

Those who dismiss the academy as not making enough money , as well as being wrong, should have a serious re-think , Campbell & Lang along with the BOD who decided to scrap it should hang their heads in shame and get hunted from our club. 

Good on this new fans group for looking to restore the academy but reversing the decision will now cost decent money thanks to the current muppets in charge.

Campell & Lang out - gross negligence.       

Where did we finish in the league and on how many points with the academy in season 12-13?

9 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Where did we finish in the league and on how many points with the academy in season 12-13?

Good point , I thought we were 3rd so I looked it up and yes we were 3rd.

So what is the polar opposite of progress , it might be where we are now.

Thanks for backing me up mate, appreciate it.  

Edited by Hank von Hell

2 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Good point , I thought we were 3rd so I looked it up and yes we were 3rd.

So what is the polar opposite of progress , it might be where we are now.

Thanks for backing me up mate, appreciate it.  

We finished 3rd on 53 points in 12-13, 25 points behind promotion with a team full of academy players. 

We finished 2nd in 15-16 on 70 points, 11 behind first in a division with Rangers and Hibs with 2 academy players in the team.

2 hours ago, falkirkzombie said:

The MSG stated :

“We have been exploring ways of stimulating and facilitating this and are open to discussions with credible parties with vision (NOT THE MSG THEN) , proven knowledge and skills (NOT THE MSG FOR SURE)  and with resources to invest in the short, medium and long term (POTENTIALLY THE MSG BUT IN THE REAL WORD , NOT THE MSG)

18 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

We finished 3rd on 53 points in 12-13, 25 points behind promotion with a team full of academy players. 

We finished 2nd in 15-16 on 70 points, 11 behind first in a division with Rangers and Hibs with 2 academy players in the team.

Yes we did  , great manager that Peter Houston.

The BOD also raked in serious cash  for 4 of those 7 academy players, and you could say we got a decent shift from Alston & Sibbs in their time.

That will never happen again.

As a real life example I will fast forward you to Falkirk FC 2018 who "sold" 15 players for ZERO POUNDS , in fact we paid some of them to go away.

Well done Craig & Co. 

Edited by Hank von Hell

Some of the aims of this takeover group seem like pie in the sky unfortunately and more aimed at gaining support than really benefiting the club i.e. reinstating the academy. 
The decision was made rightly or wrongly and it needs to be followed through. Who is going to sign their kids up to a scheme that was axed only a year ago anyway?

I don’t think re-starting the youth development programme is pie-in-the-sky. The most difficult bit would be convincing parents to trust Falkirk again.

Certainly it would not start as it finished but built up over a period of time it is certainly achievable

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think re-starting the youth development programme is pie-in-the-sky. The most difficult bit would be convincing parents to trust Falkirk again.

Certainly it would not start as it finished but built up over a period of time it is certainly achievable

Almost as difficult as convincing Brentford we have the Brentford Model.

But then someone did go down there for a whole day.  

Edited by Hank von Hell

1 hour ago, EdiBairn said:

29 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

whilst i wasnt a fan of the decision to scrap the academy, i think we have to give this model a few years, 1 bad transfer window doesn't make it a bad model and could well still turn out to be the correct decision, even if it doesn't look like that ATM

whilst i wasnt a fan of the decision to scrap the academy, i think we have to give this model a few years, 1 bad transfer window doesn't make it a bad model and could well still turn out to be the correct decision, even if it doesn't look like that ATM
Do we still have youth teams that have anything at all to do with the club.

Not having any knowledge on laddies football or how it is run if we don't this seems totally wrong for a so called community club.

When I was a boy all I wanted to do was play for Falkirk. If we have no youth set up what so ever how do we attract local youngsters to come to us. For a youngster supporting a club that one day you might play for is a big thing although a tiny percentage will ever do that.

I'd like an academy, it did seem to make us money and supply good quality players as well. I might go over the stadium tonight, would like to know how much the rule changes ie) number of full time coaches etc affected the viability of the academy and whether there was someone willing to cover the cost of keeping the academy going. 

As for the "Brentford model" it doesn't matter what we do, this model, that model, academy or something else, just get better players than the other teams in this league and we'll go up, simple!!

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Not having any knowledge on laddies football or how it is run if we don't this seems totally wrong for a so called community club.

When I was a boy all I wanted to do was play for Falkirk. If we have no youth set up what so ever how do we attract local youngsters to come to us. For a youngster supporting a club that one day you might play for is a big thing although a tiny percentage will ever do that.

Not sure the set up now, maybe worth asking about tonight.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Don't disagree with any of this TBH, just doesn't seem a great idea to keep switching long term/business models

i'm not sure about falkirk youth teams, the falkirk foundation seams to have young teams knocking about not sure in the progression to the club or even if there is one

I still don't see why it wasn't deemed possible to have a championship winning  first team and an academy.  St Mirren managed it last season and Livi managed to get up via the playoffs with an academy in place although they have subsequently shut theres.  I would have much rather seen us cut down the academy than close it altogether. Much smaller clubs than us have youth development and they dont go under.  Lang's a lawyer at the end of the day so she is good at being economical with the truth but not lieing as was seen by her and campbell over stating the cost of the academy . We'll probably get more of that pish tonight.

At the end of the day, there is a not insubstantial six figure cost to running an academy, which we funded for 8 seasons, during which time we failed to get out of this league.

I couldn't care less about local kids getting to play for the club they support. We're not a youth club- whether the cost is £100k or £500k, I'd much rather see it invested in the playing squad so that the club can do as well as possible. 

Just because Hartley and Mitch signed a lot of rubbish, doesn't mean that increasing the first team budget wasn't right. 

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Loads of them. All with the brand new strips, training tops etc