Jump to content
Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Gaz said:

Was spending a bit of time last night trying to think of all the utter horror decisions that our club has made over the past decade or so.

1) Convincing our fans that 7th place in the SPL wasn't good enough for us and getting our fans convinced we were going for "The Next Level"

2) Hughes throwing money away on signing his old, injury-prone pals whereas before we'd been a successful team with young, hungry players (the decision to replace Jack Ross with Jackie McNamara was particularly criminal)

3) Giving Eddie May longer than three weeks when it was plainly obvious by September that he was hopelessly out of his depth and going to get us relegated

4) Replacing May with Pressley

5) Giving Pressley more time after him making a pigsty of our post-split fixtures in our last SPL season

5.5) Being told at a fans' meeting that we were financially on the verge of going bankrupt only to have our Chairman at the same meeting telling us we were still looking to pay for a fourth stand

6) "Our Time"

7) Giving Peter Houston longer than three weeks when it was plainly obvious by September that he was hopelessly out of his depth and going to get us relegated

8) Allowing Hartley to sign so many untried and untested players

9) The hot-tub

Anything else?

How about building a stadium for double our expected crowds then having to rent part of it back from the counvil cos we couldn't afford it. Genius! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

How about building a stadium for double our expected crowds then having to rent part of it back from the counvil cos we couldn't afford it. Genius! 

It wasn't the BOD's fault that the SPL had a stupid 10,000-seater rule, they planned for a stadium thinking that was the criteria. We're lucky it was changed to 6,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It wasn't the BOD's fault that the SPL had a stupid 10,000-seater rule, they planned for a stadium thinking that was the criteria. We're lucky it was changed to 6,000.

I'd still like to know which of the SPL chairmen would like to take the credit for that doozy of a rule.

To think they allowed that excuse for pitch protection at Motherwell but were seriously gonnae tell teams they couldn't get up with 8000 seats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It wasn't the BOD's fault that the SPL had a stupid 10,000-seater rule, they planned for a stadium thinking that was the criteria. We're lucky it was changed to 6,000.
The problem was though we spunked the same amount of cash on a stand/pitch as other clubs spent on full stadiums and we are paying fortunes on loans for other stands. Don't get me wrong the main stand is beautiful but a stadium something like Livingston or St Mirren would have done the job without the necessity for the loans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Livingston and st Mirren's stadiums remind me more of lego structures than football parks. The BoD were quite right not to do it on the cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Both Livingston and st Mirren's stadiums remind me more of lego structures than football parks. The BoD were quite right not to do it on the cheap. 
Yip and we will be reaping the benefits of that decision for years to come

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Yip and we will be reaping the benefits of that decision for years to comeemoji848.png

We were in the premier league for 5 seasons with the current stadium. It's not what's stopping us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We were in the premier league for 5 seasons with the current stadium. It's not what's stopping us.
The loans on the stadium aren't helping us. The figures quoted on here are anything between £350 - £400k we are paying back each season. How much that is affecting the quality of player we can bring in is anyone's guess.

I still would rather have had a completed stadium with the budget we had than what we have now. Each to their own opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

I'd still like to know which of the SPL chairmen would like to take the credit for that doozy of a rule.

To think they allowed that excuse for pitch protection at Motherwell but were seriously gonnae tell teams they couldn't get up with 8000 seats.

 

Lex Gold was the prominent figure. He was anti-Falkirk to the core. He also led the decision to deny Murrayfield as a ground sharing option. The reason? Hardly seems credible even now, but shows how utterly corrupt the man was......he thought Falkirk playing there brought about crowd segregation issues. Seriously.

There is enough seats in Murrayfield to segregate every fan individually, but at the time, he had Boyle at Motherwell and the twat Keane at Livingston feverishly doing all they could to undermine FFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need someone with money to come in and bluff the council. We either play elsewhere or the council sells their share of the stadium for a couple million up front. They've had more than enough of us over the years, time to shoot that particular cash cow. It's a good bluff, if they say no and risk us moving, what are they going to do with the stadium, charge the Shire 300k a year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The loans on the stadium aren't helping us. The figures quoted on here are anything between £350 - £400k we are paying back each season. How much that is affecting the quality of player we can bring in is anyone's guess.

I still would rather have had a completed stadium with the budget we had than what we have now. Each to their own opinion though.

We could have built a 6000 seat old fashioned stadium with stands tight to the pitch, and likely not even had to involve the council for their share of the cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Hardly going to describe himself as shite. He'll go straight I to the team either way. 

I'm really excited about the weekend now. 

At least I can plan going to another game in advance, Anton Rodgers can't even get a game of football with his mates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

We need someone with money to come in and bluff the council. We either play elsewhere or the council sells their share of the stadium for a couple million up front. They've had more than enough of us over the years, time to shoot that particular cash cow. It's a good bluff, if they say no and risk us moving, what are they going to do with the stadium, charge the Shire 300k a year? 

But certain Morton fans on here said the stadium is an expense on the Council tax payers of Falkirk. Are you saying he's talking shite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

We could have built a 6000 seat old fashioned stadium with stands tight to the pitch, and likely not even had to involve the council for their share of the cash. 

Is that not hindsight though?

When the stadium was being planned was there not a 10k seat minimum? I agree that the main stand is too big and would probably give us a capacity of 11-12 thousand depending on the size of any east stand which is too many. I assume that the council would have had  a major say on the design of the main and that they would want to include office space etc which possibly contributed to what we have today?

I also quite like the Livingston, St Mirren type models as they're obviously large enough and could maybe be 'personalised' a wee bit easier as well. The Livi ground would be my preferred option in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Hardly going to describe himself as shite. He'll go straight I to the team either way. 

He was described as a play maker in an article that I read, he wasn't describing himself. I was reacting to a question by Duncan Freemason when he said that he didn't know if he was a creative midfielder (Craig Sibbald), a defensive type (Scott McKenzie) or neither (Paul Paton).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Is that not hindsight though?

When the stadium was being planned was there not a 10k seat minimum? I agree that the main stand is too big and would probably give us a capacity of 11-12 thousand depending on the size of any east stand which is too many. I assume that the council would have had  a major say on the design of the main and that they would want to include office space etc which possibly contributed to what we have today?

I also quite like the Livingston, St Mirren type models as they're obviously large enough and could maybe be 'personalised' a wee bit easier as well. The Livi ground would be my preferred option in fact.

Interesting you say that, because Livvy don’t own their stadium. It’s owned outright by the council, but Livingston Launderers only pay a peppercorn rent for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:
2 hours ago, Gaz said:
It wasn't the BOD's fault that the SPL had a stupid 10,000-seater rule, they planned for a stadium thinking that was the criteria. We're lucky it was changed to 6,000.

The problem was though we spunked the same amount of cash on a stand/pitch as other clubs spent on full stadiums and we are paying fortunes on loans for other stands. Don't get me wrong the main stand is beautiful but a stadium something like Livingston or St Mirren would have done the job without the necessity for the loans.

Oh no I don't disagree with that at all. It would have been far better had we built something along the lines of Livingston's or St Mirren's.

That teams like Clyde and Airdrie are saddled with 10,000-seater white elephants is a damning indictment on that period of Scottish Football's history.

Edited by Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He was described as a play maker in an article that I read, he wasn't describing himself. I was reacting to a question by Duncan Freemason when he said that he didn't know if he was a creative midfielder (Craig Sibbald), a defensive type (Scott McKenzie) or neither (Paul Paton).

Has Rodgers actually been offered a deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Is that not hindsight though?

When the stadium was being planned was there not a 10k seat minimum? I agree that the main stand is too big and would probably give us a capacity of 11-12 thousand depending on the size of any east stand which is too many. I assume that the council would have had  a major say on the design of the main and that they would want to include office space etc which possibly contributed to what we have today?

I also quite like the Livingston, St Mirren type models as they're obviously large enough and could maybe be 'personalised' a wee bit easier as well. The Livi ground would be my preferred option in fact.

The original plans were for an East Stand with more or less the same design as the current Main Stand. I've got a t-shirt somewhere with a drawing of the design on it. The corners were due to be filled in.

It was only ever going to be a colossal waste of money but I do have a degree of sympathy with the board due to the farcical 10,000-seater rule. But as has been said we could probably have built a 3/3/2/2 with fairly steep stands close tight to the pitch for the same as what we spent on the Main and North stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is:

13268003_10210209644700475_2239118265849074622_o.jpg

Obviously the exterior would have looked a bit different but it was still due to have 4,200 seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...