The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

We’ve been in exactly the same position as them so I don’t see the issue.

It’s not as if we’re going all St Mirren fan mental about it like they did with us.

If they’re good enough to go up then of course they should go up.

I don't disagree with you on the last part but I assume Ayr already know what improvements they'd need done if they got up.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know Lionel Messi already has a contract, right? What exactly are you expecting to be available on the free agent market? Its not going to be top standard players generally.

You are 100 % correct that Latapy and Dobbie types aren't waiting around for a phonecall and have been left clubless for a reason.

Luckily for us you don't have to be particularly good to be better than the absolute chancers Hartley signed in the summer so signing mildly better shouldn't be too hard.

23 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I can see pros and cons of Falkirk recent population growth.

A lot of the people (not all) buying the new homes come from outside the area and if they like football already support a club..

Probably a very small chance therefore that they will take the kids to watch Falkirk.

What we need is all the Falkirk fans we currently have to have a 4 kid minimum policy. Get shagging.

The free for U12s initiative is top drawer and really should see us future protected regarding the fanbase.

That's the problem ICT have, along with the fact that people in their late 20's and older didn't have a league club to support when they were young so they all support the OF or Aberdeen, is any incomers to the city already support a team so have no reason to go and watch ICT.  If they don't want to go they're not going to drag their kids along.

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

If and that’s a big IF Ayr won the league or went up through the play offs, there is no way their stadium would be compliant.

From a spectator perspective then there isn’t a huge issue but big improvements to the toilet facilities would have to take place.

Could see them ground sharing with Killie.

The stadia requirement for playing in the Premiership is licensing to bronze standard and silver standard floodlights, the same as the Championship. Every club in the SPFL other than Albion Rovers has a compliant stadium, although I can't find a list of floodlights.

In practical terms you would find clubs needing to make changes. For example Station Park would need proper segregation, Dumbarton or East Fife would realistically need temporary stands to increase capacity, several clubs might need to find more space for media facilties such as a proper camera gantry at Cappielow and many will need to upgrade their floodlights, but following the rules there is no basis to stop any team other than Albion Rovers using their own ground in the Premiership.

20 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

The population of the Falkirk area  as a whole is 150,000. We're not punching above our weight and could be doing even better we're it not for so many going to watch Celtic and Rangers.

had a wee look as it piqued my interest.  I think even at 150k it's still a good return but when you consider.   

- 35k are in outlying areas like Denny, Banknock and Bo'ness

- includes children and the geriatric

The vast majority of people aren't interested in football on a weekly basis.

i would calculate it out at somewhere closer to 50k are available in any remote way to being convinced and that's being super generous thinking of other competing interests and the gender differential.

We're a commuter town now for managers from Edinburgh and Glasgow.  There's definitely scope to try and get some of them and their kids into supporting their local team but i think we do quite well.  just my opinion though.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know Lionel Messi already has a contract, right? What exactly are you expecting to be available on the free agent market? Its not going to be top standard players generally.

McKinnon has already spoke out on that subject and has pretty much said the reason those players are without a club is for a number of reasons, injury prone, not match fit, or just generally poor in quality/attributes.

10 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

McKinnon has already spoke out on that subject and has pretty much said the reason those players are without a club is for a number of reasons, injury prone, not match fit, or just generally poor in quality/attributes.

I took it more as he was highlighting that free agents would be lacking fitness rather than that being the reason they were free agents.

Gordon Greer was mentioned for example, even if we were to sign him - it could easily take over a month till he was match fit. My only rebuke to that would be that a 50% fit Greer may still be considerably better defender than Dallison.

22 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

A win would indeed be nice. I'd settle for a point. Or indeed, a pint. 

Anyone else getting worried by the fact we apparently have funds available, but are inviting players on trial that conceivably could be worse than we already have at the club? Which is a terrible thing to even consider. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Yip. It's a nonsense post without the suggestion of alternative names.

There are a few players out there who are far better than anything we have currently, we just wouldn't be able to afford them though. I'm thinking the likes of Gordon Greer, Russell Martin, Steven Caulker, Paul Caddis & Zander Diamond. Ross Wallace signed for Fleetwood just the other day too.

2 hours ago, tirso said:

had a wee look as it piqued my interest.  I think even at 150k it's still a good return but when you consider.   

- 35k are in outlying areas like Denny, Banknock and Bo'ness

- includes children and the geriatric

The vast majority of people aren't interested in football on a weekly basis.

i would calculate it out at somewhere closer to 50k are available in any remote way to being convinced and that's being super generous thinking of other competing interests and the gender differential.

We're a commuter town now for managers from Edinburgh and Glasgow.  There's definitely scope to try and get some of them and their kids into supporting their local team but i think we do quite well.  just my opinion though.

Not sure if you are implying that there is no support to be had from areas such as Denny and Bo'ness (all of about 5 - 6 miles away!) but if you are the you are wrong.

There are, of course, large Twins of Evil supports in the area but many of these are offspring of the displaced weegies who ended up in the Denny area in the 50's and 60's when their slums were demolished.

I'm originally from Dunipace and there was always a strong Bairns support in the Denny High catchment area and this continues today as my son and many of his mates who were at DHS are Bairns fans.

Loads and loads of Falkirk fans in Grangemouth. One Celtic bus leaves the town now and as far as I know a Rangers bus from The Ship. Think a lot of younger folk are choosing to follow the Bairns rather than the ugly sisters. I have a daughter in her early 20's and a lot of her pals support us.

Grangemouth always has had a strong FFC support. Maybe the reason they moved the stadium to the town [emoji23][emoji23]

20 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I know more Falkirk fans in Stirling than I do Stirling albion fans

Eta: am I a glory hunter? 

You're definitely not in it for the glory. None of us are.

Raises a good point about Albion, though. Stirling could easily sustain a mid-level championship club, a decent catchment area and doesn't seem to be any more or less old firmy than any other town.

Not sure if you are implying that there is no support to be had from areas such as Denny and Bo'ness (all of about 5 - 6 miles away!) but if you are the you are wrong.
There are, of course, large Twins of Evil supports in the area but many of these are offspring of the displaced weegies who ended up in the Denny area in the 50's and 60's when their slums were demolished.
I'm originally from Dunipace and there was always a strong Bairns support in the Denny High catchment area and this continues today as my son and many of his mates who were at DHS are Bairns fans.

me too I'm from Denny and went to Denny high although haven't lived there for about 25 years now. falkirk are the local side slightly closer than Stirling Albion