The Falkirk FC Thread

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
17 hours ago, tirso said:
how much did each of the stands cost?  That doesn't sound credible.  The main stand is good but it's not million and millions of pounds good.
Think we were all just so relieved a stadium was finally in the offing that we forgot to plan it properly. 
seems so crazy thinking back they had hte 10k rule.  Hope whoever came up with that is nowhere near the game now.  
If Ayr win the league, what happens?  I for one would love to see Somerset Park in the SPFL.  the old grounds are great for the game as long as you sort out some minor issues and a decent pitch.  Would hope we don't cause a fuss.  I think its better for player development to play at a stadium with a good crowd on top of you than a perfect pitch and empty stands.

While I could go down the pedantry route and say that Ayr, and so Somerset Park, are already in the SPFL, I'll assume either you meant the Premiership or were involved in a Hughes/Houston style woosh. But if Ayr did go up they'd be fine - there is no longer a rule about a minimum number of seats or being all-seated other than you have to have the appropriate license (which Ayr and everyone else have).

thanks.  didn't know they had relaxed the rules.  Seen as we're going nowhere i hope Ayr go up.   would be a throwback having them up in the premiership.

i'd say we're punching well above our weight given the size of the town and the product on the park...in terms of attendence.

4-4500 a week is very good.  i remember 1800 at games. and that's when we played in a stadium that lent itself to a better atmosphere and centre of town.  Whoever's responsibility it is for getting and maintaining the fanbase have done a top drawer job, in my view.

Edited by tirso

4 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

If and that’s a big IF Ayr won the league or went up through the play offs, there is no way their stadium would be compliant.

From a spectator perspective then there isn’t a huge issue but big improvements to the toilet facilities would have to take place.

Could see them ground sharing with Killie.

poster above seems to suggest they are already compliant.  what a shame it would be if they had to start playing at that morgue.  thought the corporate madness had subsided last couple of years in our game.

EDA:  if it was me id rather just upgrade the toilets than move my club to another town.

Edited by tirso

6 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

If and that’s a big IF Ayr won the league or went up through the play offs, there is no way their stadium would be compliant.

From a spectator perspective then there isn’t a huge issue but big improvements to the toilet facilities would have to take place.

Yet they hosted Rangers in a televised Scottish Cup tie last season no problem.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I travel from Glasgow every second week, would you hunt me too? I hate the Old Firm as much as anyone but people can support whoever they want and have their own reasons for it. Falkirk need to do a better job of making it attractive for people to come to games. 

Bingo!! It really is that simple. 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

Because I care football is about passion. IMO if we don't get upset the status quo will prevail. I seriously think the Scottish game is at a cross roads. The quality gets worse every year whilst the alternatives get closer and cheaper. 

Amazingly Falkirk as a commercial venture is bucking the trend. This just underlines the opportunity we have yet alas just when we have a chance to build we hit self destruct. Our actual performance compared to our potential totally sucks and my point was that having such  people who's hearts lie elsewhere  in our boardroom is not acceptable. 

The Scottish game is the best it has been in years. Just because we are getting worse, doesn't make this incorrect, just look at hibs hearts kilmarnock domestically and the old firm competing in Europe. Average attendance figures across Scotland should be a good indicator for you. 

47 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

The stadium requirements for the Premiership are now almost the same as those for the Championship.

48 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Probably the worst example.

The last time we went to Killie (the playoff)  their was no running water in the toilets and of course no hot water so I couldn't wash my hands after my much needed pish.

Also meant I most certainly was not purchasing a pie.

Seems treating football fans like absolute shite is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

Believe it or not, Somerset Parks license makes it Premiership compliant.

Police and Council might disagree when regularly hosting big crowds.

They'd need to spend cash on facilities although with the added revenue I'm sure they'd not bother.

2 hours ago, tirso said:

i'd say we're punching well above our weight given the size of the town and the product on the park...in terms of attendence.

4-4500 a week is very good.  i remember 1800 at games. and that's when we played in a stadium that lent itself to a better atmosphere and centre of town.  Whoever's responsibility it is for getting and maintaining the fanbase have done a top drawer job, in my view.

The population of the Falkirk area  as a whole is 150,000. We're not punching above our weight and could be doing even better we're it not for so many going to watch Celtic and Rangers.

I can see pros and cons of Falkirk recent population growth.

A lot of the people (not all) buying the new homes come from outside the area and if they like football already support a club..

Probably a very small chance therefore that they will take the kids to watch Falkirk.

What we need is all the Falkirk fans we currently have to have a 4 kid minimum policy. Get shagging.

The free for U12s initiative is top drawer and really should see us future protected regarding the fanbase.

Though I'm not sure it's Falkirk fans place to be commenting on the subject of AUFC

We’ve been in exactly the same position as them so I don’t see the issue.

It’s not as if we’re going all St Mirren fan mental about it like they did with us.

If they’re good enough to go up then of course they should go up.

21 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Anyone else getting worried by the fact we apparently have funds available, but are inviting players on trial that conceivably could be worse than we already have at the club? Which is a terrible thing to even consider. 

You know Lionel Messi already has a contract, right? What exactly are you expecting to be available on the free agent market? Its not going to be top standard players generally.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

You know Lionel Messi already has a contract, right? What exactly are you expecting to be available on the free agent market? Its not going to be top standard players generally.

Yip. It's a nonsense post without the suggestion of alternative names.