The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Statement seems odd considering there's no real need for it. I would enjoy something like this to be put out quarterly giving us some real insight into how the club runs but this is basically her covering her own back. It's Hartley and Mitch who messed up, we hired them based on decent track records and were let down. It's probably true but seems weird that it's been put out by the club, must be feeling a bit of pressure.

If, as she says, we're now financially sustainable without relying on cup runs or player sales then it's maybe not all doom and gloom but the numbers didn't really add up for me. Academy cost £340k, would have needed £400k a year to stay viable, club lost £666k last financial year and we've reduced costs by £500k. Then spent £60k to punt Hartley and however much it will be to get McKinnon and co.

I'd be interested to know (but realise they're unlikely to tell us) where the sustainable budget stands in terms of  other teams in this division. Anyone know how much we made from the Rangers game? Then we can have some pointless fun working out what the playing budget is for this year if that gave us an extra 18%.

Apparently there was also the cost of the dev team, so says Shodwall. The there's probably the cost of shunting Houston and CO on top of that? 

I'd hazard a guess that the budget will be on a Par with the sensible teams, everyone apart from Dundee Utd, Ross County and I'm assuming Partick are still spending more than most? 

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dont you think that saying we cannot currently make the playoffs, saying we have screwed up badly, and lets see what we are looking at in January carries a negative inference on the players. 

Translation: "we are irreparably shite" "we should never have signed these guys" "we want to bin as many as possible as soon as possible"

Only if you don’t know the difference between infer and imply.

It's funny that they are run by a dynasty of apparent millionaires, but even on their best season they are still a bang average championship club. 
Your club almost died in April 2018, so I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself #prayforfalkirk

1 minute ago, port-ton said:
3 hours ago, DeeBairn said:
It's funny that they are run by a dynasty of apparent millionaires, but even on their best season they are still a bang average championship club. 

Your club almost died in April 2018, so I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself #prayforfalkirk

Hmm, no it didn't. I suggest you read again, and maybe as for help. If we hadn't taken the steps we had, we would have run out of cash. Barring further funding coming in. We made the changes we had to with ample time, and carried on. Our future wellbeing isn't dependent on the whiny whims of a daddies boy. 

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:
3 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

#prayforCrawford. 

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

I'd be interested to know (but realise they're unlikely to tell us) where the sustainable budget stands in terms of  other teams in this division. Anyone know how much we made from the Rangers game? Then we can have some pointless fun working out what the playing budget is for this year if that gave us an extra 18%.

I did some rough math on this already. Assumed it would be around £150,000. That would make your original playing budget around £680,000 going up to £830,000. An average wage of around £700 per week for 22 players. Which is a reasonable wage.

But like I said that's last year. You lose a significant amount of prize money(£260,000) for league position in comparison to previous years so I don't know that it would be starkly different. Assume the 80k difference goes into your playing budget then thats ~£750,000 this year on a playing budget.

All conjecture on my part however but sure someone could point me in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm, a finely constructed argument were it not for the fact you've completely missed that the Falkirk Academy, WAS an elite academy, within the top level.

Which is exactly what the statement from the Chair said. With decreasing profits and rapidly increasing costs, it would have continued to be a burden on the playing squad budget. 

Shame we subsequently shat the bed with regards to rebuilding the first team. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that. 

Just now, Gaz said:

From what I've read, the people most concerned about the Academy closing are the mums and dads who can't tell their mates that their laddie plays for Falkirk any more.

That was the bulk of the people complaining at the time, too. 

I for one appreciate the Lang statement. Surprised and pleased it was so frank.   When will we learn that a house divided will not stand.   I hate this vandetta against the board.  We should all get behind the team (as hard as it is with these current players), behind McKinnon AND behind the board.   This may not be popular but Falkirk FC is not only a team but a business.  Sometimes the board have to take unpopular decisions (academy) to keep the team on the pitch viable.

I didn't realise our finances were so precarious.  If the board were to take the advice of some on this thread we would probably be in administration within a couple of years.

The team are in a difficult position right now.  If the board do what they say and give us a steady financial footing where extra funds can be pumped into the team without having to rely on selling income we will be in a good position to improve on the pitch. COYB.

That was the bulk of the people complaining at the time, too. 
Parents are generally a bit fuddish when it comes to stuff like this.

I am not really sure having an academy is really part of supporting a football team tbh. I never worried about academies etc when I was at my happiest as a football fan going to Brockville every other week. I did like that we had a reputation for bringing good young players through, but I am just struggling to get excited about it.

Regardless of what our status would or could have been, the SFA are up to allsorts of pish with Brave and the business people at the club were forced into a business decision because of it. It just means we are going to have to scout 16 and 17 year olds and try to develop them like loads of other clubs do.

Fans are dutybound to take an interest in off the field stuff in so far as they should always attempt to oust dodgy fuckers who invariably get invlolved in football clubs, and those who dont have the clubs best interests at heart. It is also my opinion that we should all be driving towards fan ownership.

But that said, I'm busier than I would like most of the time, so football is primarily about going on the Saturday and talking it to death on here.

So aye, it was nice that we had an academy, but not at the rising expense of Falkirk FC, who play on a Saturday in the Championship.

For me anyway.