The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, ffcslaing10 said:

Gary Caldwell has relegation written all over it. Been relegated under similar circumstances at both clubs he's managed so far and subsequently sacked twice and considering he's still only 36  that's worrying

Gordon Young, your opportunity awaits..........if you can grab it with both hands, then God bless you.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Your claiming straw man argument and offering up the straw man argument of presuming what AS’s part in it was. I know and assume you know that AS wasn’t performing any role at all in the project, as he felt his leaving for a new life would have made that completely inappropriate. So, your consultant to check the consultant is completely and utterly bogus.

I will say it again. As part of a project as broad based as this, an independent ad hoc hire answerable to the board verifying he and Hartley were in agreement on signings would be no bad thing. Also, IF signings were being made sight unseen on the recommendation of an agent (you mentioned the player’s agent, I didn’t) then the independent person would be expected to make any concerns clear and known.

I ask again....no twisting. If oversight and assurance such as this has no part to play, then why did we get into this mess. We got into this mess because there was no-one voicing any concerns either to Hartley or the board that this was perhaps not the way to go, or not the way to go there, or not the pace at which to move. It’s frustrating that a view that more or less says “nothing could be done better” should have any foundation here. If there is seen to be no room for improvement in the process, and it only failed because Hartley was useless as it, then straight away that’s saying there absolutely is room for improvement,

Couldn't agree more 

5 minutes ago, ffcslaing10 said:

Gary Caldwell has relegation written all over it. Been relegated under similar circumstances at both clubs he's managed so far and subsequently sacked twice and considering he's still only 36  that's worrying

He also won league 1 with Wigan...

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

It's amazing how many folk seem to think we'd be doing better had we kept last season's players.

We were sitting at what, one point from nine the same stage last season?

Bizarre.

That will happen when the majority of them do well at their next clubs and the dross we brought in are worse than what we had.

Funnily the two I would've kept have been average at best but probably better than what we have now 

44 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Does Gary Caldwell have the experience of this situation? I’m not so sure. That doesn’t mean I don’t want him to get it mind you. I think personally we need someone with experience to steady the ship. Hopkin probably my preferred choice if we could get him.

Whoever it is won’t please everyone but we all must get behind him, whoever he may be.

Gary has successfully overseen relaxation at his last two clubs!! 

20 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Your claiming straw man argument and offering up the straw man argument of presuming what AS’s part in it was. I know and assume you know that AS wasn’t performing any role at all in the project, as he felt his leaving for a new life would have made that completely inappropriate. So, your consultant to check the consultant is completely and utterly bogus.

I will say it again. As part of a project as broad based as this, an independent ad hoc hire answerable to the board verifying he and Hartley were in agreement on signings would be no bad thing. Also, IF signings were being made sight unseen on the recommendation of an agent (you mentioned the player’s agent, I didn’t) then the independent person would be expected to make any concerns clear and known.

I ask again....no twisting. If oversight and assurance such as this has no part to play, then why did we get into this mess. We got into this mess because there was no-one voicing any concerns either to Hartley or the board that this was perhaps not the way to go, or not the way to go there, or not the pace at which to move. It’s frustrating that a view that more or less says “nothing could be done better” should have any foundation here. If there is seen to be no room for improvement in the process, and it only failed because Hartley was useless as it, then straight away that’s saying there absolutely is room for improvement,

My opinion is that we got into the mess because the manager brought in players who didn't perform to the levels expected between their arrivals and his departure. 

Fair enough re the "independent ad hoc hire" part. I don't know if any other clubs do it, or  how a potential incoming manager would react if told at interview that his future decisions would need to be approved by such a person, but at least you've answered the question. Thank you.

Re Alex Smith, I have no idea what role he actually played. I think my wording made it clear that I was speculating. You wording seems to infer that you know otherwise. 

Personally - and this is also speculation - I always thought that Alex may have decided to leave after the decision to axe the Academy was made. That was the largest part of his duties, after. I therefore assumed that he was fully involved in the recruitment and supervision / mentoring of PH. If you know otherwise I'd be interested to hear your insights.

1 hour ago, GMBairn said:
2 hours ago, TheScarf said:
So not a decline then.

Yeah, almost getting relegated to league 1 isn't a decline.

A decline isn't a club going down to it's natural level I'm afraid m3.

44 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The problem is there is no strong leadership. We are run by an f____ING committee who keep getting it wrong. If you have the likes of _______ involved at board level why on earth do you expect rational well thought through decisions. Shite in shite out

Just now, falkirkzombie said:

even is this were true,....... if it's going down surely this is a decline.

To their natural level of the 2nd tier?  That's not a decline for me.