The Falkirk FC Thread

Theres a lot of reasons we are still in this division that wasnt helped by having Hibs, Hearts, and Sevco in it, going back to the Eddie May appointment with the Hydra appraoch if you lose one part of it there is another 2 elements there namely with Alex Smith being there and Eddies asst same as with Pressley.  for all Pressleys faults he tried to install a positive attitude on things and in a lot of ways never gave up on the staying in the division until it was impossible (positive Mental Attitude and going into a New Age mentality)

The board chopping and changing plans as and when and find another direction to go down isnt helping things find a plan and stick to it if that plan isnt working then change it but not the amount of times we have.  just once i would like to read something positive about the club and how well its being run but i reckon we are about 3 yrs from being or having any sort of stability so whatever way we look at this its not an overnight fix.

This feels like the Dave Clark/ Billy Lamont era all over again and look who came in in the middle of it, History repeating itself

managers.jpeg

Edited by AL-FFC

8 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Theres a lot of reasons we are still in this division that wasnt helped by having Hibs, Hearts, and Sevco in it, going back to the Eddie May appointment with the Hydra appraoch if you lose one part of it there is another 2 elements there namely with Alex Smith being there and Eddies asst same as with Pressley.  for all Pressleys faults he tried to install a positive attitude on things and in a lot of ways never gave up on the staying in the division until it was impossible (positive Mental Attitude and going into a New Age mentality)

The board chopping and changing plans as and when and find another direction to go down isnt helping things find a plan and stick to it if that plan isnt working then change it but not the amount of times we have.  just once i would like to read something positive about the club and how well its being run but i reckon we are about 3 yrs from being or having any sort of stability so whatever way we look at this its not an overnight fix.

This feels like the Dave Clark/ Billy Lamont era all over again and look who came in in the middle of it, History repeating itself

managers.jpeg

Pressley was a useless twat.

We had every chance of staying up when he took over. We got what, 1 point post split of something and a couple of goals in five games.

He was a total disaster. Just as bad as May.

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

managers.jpeg

I'd rather Pressley had concentrated on getting one win in 5 matches against the dregs of the league  instead of that positive mental attitude pish. Wouldn't have been so bad if we'd gone down with a fight but Killie had a shocking run of results and still came out above us .

Edited by Shodwall cat

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Think you missing a key component here. No-one was really anti Hartley. No one was against him getting rid of players........because he was bringing in “fewer players, better quality”.

No hindsight involved. That was the promise. The support have ZERO control over this. The BOD have absolute control over this.

What could the BOD have done better? Applied oversight and governance. If they were questioning it, they were asking the wrong questions. The “better” bit is “prevent it from happening”. And yes, it’s achievable.

That line gets spun quite a lot on message boards. To me it misses the point.

Unless there is a "football person" on the BOD - say a Director Of Football with an Alex Smith background - then I suspect that most football boards will have little knowledge of the game. By that I mean none of their members will have played professionally or have coaching badges. They'll be made up of successful business people rather than ex-footballers.

That being the case, they're responsible for picking a manager and setting his budget. After that they have to leave the football side up to him.  IMO anyway, and I'd apply that line of thinking to all boards everywhere. 

If you consider Falkirk specifically, then what should our BOD have done differently in relation to our last two managers? "Oversight and governance" is too vague a phrase for me. I'm interested in the specifics of where you think they failed when it came to Hartley and Houston. 

48 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The present decline of the club can be traced back to that appointment.

It was obvious after about four games that season that he was hopelessly out of his depth. But the cereal-eating enablers kept advocating for giving him more time. As much the same happened last season with Houston.

We've never recovered from that.

Have you not been to a cup final and the Premiership play off final recently?

9 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Pressley was a useless twat.

We had every chance of staying up when he took over. We got what, 1 point post split of something and a couple of goals in five games.

He was a total disaster. Just as bad as May.

i chucked my season ticket when they kept him on. so so so disappointed in his appointment. in my mind he was as guilty as eddie for our woeful performance. in fact as eddie was taking advice from him so why wasnt he sacked with eddie??

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Unless there is a "football person" on the BOD - say a Director Of Football with an Alex Smith background - then I suspect that most football boards will have little knowledge of the game. By that I mean none of their members will have played professionally or have coaching badges. They'll be made up of successful business people rather than ex-footballers.

That being the case, they're responsible for picking a manager and setting his budget. After that they have to leave the football side up to him.  IMO anyway, and I'd apply that line of thinking to all boards everywhere. 

If you consider Falkirk specifically, then what should our BOD have done differently in relation to our last two managers? "Oversight and governance" is too vague a phrase for me. I'm interested in the specifics of where you think they failed when it came to Hartley and Houston. 

Recruitment in both cases is the main issue. Under Houston the players we brought in were on the whole murder. Under hartley the players brought in have been on the whole even worse.  Our recruitment process is abysmal and needs thoroughly revamped with guys that actually know what they are doing and not some punter down south using soccerbase or champ manager.

46 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

The hindsight brigade are out in force and posting by the bucketload, sack the board for doing exactly what 90% of our support were wanting. Hartley, at the time look a good appointment and fans were happy. Getting rid of last season's "deadwood" like Miller and Kerr (wonder how they're doing now?) and signing players that weren't ex hibs/hearts etc. The board have acted quickly once they've seen how the team has performed, what could they do better? Sack Hartley in July if a couple of his signings looked slow in training? The board like at every football club have to trust the playing side to the manager. Yes the board appoint the manager in the first place but if good managers were that easy to spot there be a group of them on long term contracts winning trophies for fun year after year, instead you have the vast majority of managers sacked within 2 years!  

This is an important point.

It all went tits up with Hartley, but let's not pretend he wasn't a good appointment on paper.

I am astonished at the amount of folk who were saying Hartley is to blame for getting rid of players like Miller, Kerr etc.. We were absolutely abysmal last season and our entire squad deserved to be jettisoned.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Have you not been to a cup final and the Premiership play off final recently?

We were in a cup final and actually in the Premiership before the May appointment.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Recruitment in both cases is the main issue. Under Houston the players we brought in were on the whole murder. Under hartley the players brought in have been on the whole even worse.  Our recruitment process is abysmal and needs thoroughly revamped with guys that actually know what they are doing and not some punter down south using soccerbase or champ manager.

I know of at least one board member who was making waves at some of Houston's signings last summer. However, that comes under my "leave the football side up to him" (the manager) comment. What self-respecting football manager would accept interference from a businessman who knows SFA about the game? Unless he was working under Vladimir Romanov, obviously.

This is an important point.
It all went tits up with Hartley, but let's not pretend he wasn't a good appointment on paper.
I am astonished at the amount of folk who were saying Hartley is to blame for getting rid of players like Miller, Kerr etc.. We were absolutely abysmal last season and our entire squad deserved to be jettisoned.
Yeah, banging our heads agaisnt the wall though when people are posting here alluding that James fucking Craigen should have been kept.

After that Sunday at Tannadice James Craigen deserved to be taken outside and blown to pieces by a cannonball made of his own shite.

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I know of at least one board member who was making waves at some of Houston's signings last summer. However, that comes under my "leave the football side up to him" (the manager) comment. What self-respecting football manager would accept interference from a businessman who knows SFA about the game? Unless he was working under Vladimir Romanov, obviously.

I'm not wanting the bod to stick their noses in. I want them to appoint the right people in posts to deal with the recruitment problem.  Its been awful for years now 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, banging our heads agaisnt the wall though when people are posting here alluding that James fucking Craigen should have been kept.

After that Sunday at Tannadice James Craigen deserved to be taken outside and blown to pieces by a cannonball made of his own shite.

It's amazing how many folk seem to think we'd be doing better had we kept last season's players.

We were sitting at what, one point from nine the same stage last season?

Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It's amazing how many folk seem to think we'd be doing better had we kept last season's players.

We were sitting at what, one point from nine the same stage last season?

Bizarre.

Biggest surprise is that we've managed to bring in even worse. That's an achievement in itself.

28 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'll give one specific :-

If you want to sign a player you need to have watched him in person in one competitive match minimum. Even if it's reserve football.

Any exceptions to this have to be agreed with the board with reasons why that player meets our requirements.

The scout was appointed in January. Hartley could have been viewing targets for this season in person from say February or March? 

He might still have signed them after watching them and I agree with you that your can't have non football people saying "Sorry, that Owen Evans is gash" but I wouldn't have sanctioned signings only on Mitchell's say so