The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Is this our deepest crisis since Craig-gate? I guess it is, and potentially, it’s much deeper.

The one thing I do know is that whatever navel gazing goes on at TFS, it will never go deep enough to root out whatever the constants are in causing us stumbling from one calamity to the next. I think the cause is a consistent theme of allowing people to play at being football club movers and shakers, when they shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near it.

Thing is, if that’s the cause, then what’s the source? It’s easy to say “BoD”, and leave it at that, but I think if we drilled down further, it might well be one individual, or one process that is really at the core of it all.

Even now, the lessons have not been learned, and we might be into yet another Groundhog Day of the wrong people once again holding the keys to the sweetie shop, and so we go round again, heading for the next train crash.

Hasn't it just been a continuation of the Craig-gate era just with certain cracks being papered over? 

I get that we are a shambles behind the scenes from the outside looking in, however just because two managers (1 officially 1 pure speculation) have turned us down, I still think Falkirk are an attractive proposition.  Imagine just how high a managers stock could get by turning us around, who that is I still have no clue though? People are treating those two knocking us back as we are dead an burried, still plenty of football to be played this season. 

How to deal with the off the park issues is another matter, we have tried the pulling in one direction through, Bairns Trust, BFC and Brockville Spirit it got us nowhere. What would it take for this to actually happen? 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Just  a few years ago our standing was so high that the Falkirk managers job was a sought after job not only for experienced pro's but up and coming talent wanting a start in club management.  It is a reality check for us all that by the looks of things nobody wants to touch us with a barge pole, that is how far we have fallen in the game.    What a mess ! The next appointment has to be the right one, get it wrong and it could all be over. Therefore is it time to call upon the great Alex Totten to once again step forward in this time of need even if its just a few games. Still think Russell Latepy would be a good choice.

Does it really matter how attractive the job is giving the bod's past record.  When the club was settled in the top flight, had european football on offer, great facilities and a thriving academy we gave it to Eddie feckin May a guy who had never managed a football team in his nelly puff.  

1 hour ago, falkirkzombie said:

posted for no other reason but to cheer everyone up.......ah, remember the good times

My favourite ever away game.

5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Does it really matter how attractive the job is giving the bod's past record.  When the club was settled in the top flight, had european football on offer, great facilities and a thriving academy we gave it to Eddie feckin May a guy who had never managed a football team in his nelly puff.  

The present decline of the club can be traced back to that appointment.

It was obvious after about four games that season that he was hopelessly out of his depth. But the cereal-eating enablers kept advocating for giving him more time. As much the same happened last season with Houston.

We've never recovered from that.

looking at this from any potential suitors approach given both McCall and McIntyre have rejected it publicly, the way things are going we are going to go for inexperienced  rookie manager or someone needing to rebuild their stock in management as a stepping stone to better things.

if it was an eipisode of Still Game it would be Winston being asked to be Tam's best man after Jack, Victor, Boaby and Pete the Jakey knocked it back

Edited by AL-FFC

1 minute ago, Stuperman01 said:

Hasn't it just been a continuation of the Craig-gate era just with certain cracks being papered over? 

I get that we are a shambles behind the scenes from the outside looking in, however just because two managers (1 officially 1 pure speculation) have turned us down, I still think Falkirk are an attractive proposition.  Imagine just how high a managers stock could get by turning us around, who that is I still have no clue though? People are treating those two knocking us back as we are dead an burried, still plenty of football to be played this season. 

How to deal with the off the park issues is another matter, we have tried the pulling in one direction through, Bairns Trust, BFC and Brockville Spirit it got us nowhere. What would it take for this to actually happen? 

Clubs get turned around all the time, but for those who have seen us, this needs much more than a couple of signings, and a supportive demeanour for a couple of players who are feeling down on their luck.

The old probability matrix thing (P10= 10% probability of us being relegated, P90=90%) would see definitely fall into the P50 to P90 grouping, and we would be a high risk category for any manager to take on unless they were fully in charge of the PR (a bit like Rafa Benitez at Newcastle).

My old boss back in the 90s defined “experience” as being all the things you learn from getting lots of stuff wrong. He reckoned the things you got right (or tried to persuade others you got right), never taught you anything. Somehow, I don’t think the custodians of FFC are too good at the “experience” thing.

Are we really getting upset at missing out on these two. 

McCall was never really going to happen and if McIntyre wasn't good enough last chance he had, why should he be now? 

I don’t know who is the answer but I think were not untouchable yet. 

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

looking at this from any potential suitors approach given both McCall and McIntyre have rejected it publicly, the way things are going we are going to go for inexperienced  rookie manager or someone needing to rebuild their stock in management as a stepping stone to better things.

if it was an eipisode of Still Game it would be Winston being asked to be Tam's best man after Jack, Victor and Pete the Jakey knocked it back

And Isa.

Just now, Sgt Bilko said:

Are we really getting upset at missing out on these two. 

McCall was never really going to happen and if McIntyre wasn't good enough last chance he had, why should he be now? 

I don’t know who is the answer but I think were not untouchable yet. 

McIntyre did a good job at County. Look whats happened to them after he left. I'm more worried about the fact he knocked it back than McCall.   McCall had previous issues but McIntyre hasnt had a job for a wee while now and should've been desperate to get back into a club our size. Something very wrong if he knocked it back so quickly.

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

if it was an eipisode of Still Game it would be Winston being asked to be Tam's best man after Jack, Victor, Boaby and Pete the Jakey knocked it back

The simple question is “What makes this an attractive gig”?

The answer is not so easy to find.

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

and a guy who was happy with his academy role, didnt want the first team and was pushed into doing it....and pressley as his assistant, stabbed in the back by pressley who we then give the reigns too....bod have made some serious ball aching mistakes in past. dont blame eddie he was out his depth and out of a job 6 months later

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

McIntyre did a good job at County. Look whats happened to them after he left. I'm more worried about the fact he knocked it back than McCall.   McCall had previous issues but McIntyre hasnt had a job for a wee while now and should've been desperate to get back into a club our size. Something very wrong if he knocked it back so quickly.

Agreed but have a feeling McIntyre has his eye on St Mirren or Dundee 

The hindsight brigade are out in force and posting by the bucketload, sack the board for doing exactly what 90% of our support were wanting. Hartley, at the time look a good appointment and fans were happy. Getting rid of last season's "deadwood" like Miller and Kerr (wonder how they're doing now?) and signing players that weren't ex hibs/hearts etc. The board have acted quickly once they've seen how the team has performed, what could they do better? Sack Hartley in July if a couple of his signings looked slow in training? The board like at every football club have to trust the playing side to the manager. Yes the board appoint the manager in the first place but if good managers were that easy to spot there be a group of them on long term contracts winning trophies for fun year after year, instead you have the vast majority of managers sacked within 2 years!  

Just now, knee jerk reaction said:

The hindsight brigade are out in force and posting by the bucketload, sack the board for doing exactly what 90% of our support were wanting. Hartley, at the time look a good appointment and fans were happy. Getting rid of last season's "deadwood" like Miller and Kerr (wonder how they're doing now?) and signing players that weren't ex hibs/hearts etc. The board have acted quickly once they've seen how the team has performed, what could they do better? Sack Hartley in July if a couple of his signings looked slow in training? The board like at every football club have to trust the playing side to the manager. Yes the board appoint the manager in the first place but if good managers were that easy to spot there be a group of them on long term contracts winning trophies for fun year after year, instead you have the vast majority of managers sacked within 2 years!  

Yeah but picking one managerial failure is one thing. Our BOD seem to have a skill in selecting them.  At the end of the day I don't care who they appoint as manager as long as he gets us promoted to the top flight. Success is long overdue at Westfield and the fans have put up with shite for far too long and yet still back the club in numbers. We could quite possibly see Ayr promoted this season which would be another kick in the teeth.

Trying to look at this from a perspective it isnt the players its been the way they have been managed/coached, with Youngs comment in the Herald saying the players are down he is hardly going to come out with the players are over the moon but between management and board and i would say more board they need to have a word with themselves.  Hartley done what we set out to do last season avoid relegation this season whoever comes in needs to get the players and regroup and pick up a team down on morale.  

the addition Houston made at the start last season was papering over the cracks when in reality any player was going to have a job on there hands to fill the void left by Vaulks and Leahy and we were never going to do that on our budget, right now we need someone thats going to give the team a lift as much as the fans and stop looking at the jobbers.  But in that list of 50 there has to be someone inspiring in it.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

Yeah but picking one managerial failure is one thing. Our BOD seem to have a skill in selecting them.  At the end of the day I don't care who they appoint as manager as long as he gets us promoted to the top flight. Success is long overdue at Westfield and the fans have put up with shite for far too long and yet still back the club in numbers. We could quite possibly see Ayr promoted this season which would be another kick in the teeth.

It would be History repeating itself for McCall as they dont have a 6000 all seater stadium to be promoted and would require a groundshare.

9 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Think you missing a key component here. No-one was really anti Hartley. No one was against him getting rid of players........because he was bringing in “fewer players, better quality”.

No hindsight involved. That was the promise. The support have ZERO control over this. The BOD have absolute control over this.

What could the BOD have done better? Applied oversight and governance. If they were questioning it, they were asking the wrong questions. The “better” bit is “prevent it from happening”. And yes, it’s achievable.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Trying to look at this from a perspective it isnt the players its been the way they have been managed/coached, with Youngs comment in the Herald saying the players are down he is hardly going to come out with the players are over the moon but between management and board and i would say more board they need to have a word with themselves.  Hartley done what we set out to do last season avoid relegation this season whoever comes in needs to get the players and regroup and pick up a team down on morale.  

the addition Houston made at the start last season was papering over the cracks when in reality any player was going to have a job on there hands to fill the void left by Vaulks and Leahy and we were never going to do that on our budget, right now we need someone thats going to give the team a lift as much as the fans and stop looking at the jobbers.  But in that list of 50 there has to be someone inspiring in it.

Replacing them with John Rankin and a 17 year old made the whole matter worse though. Follwing that up with Alec feckin Harris put the tine lid on it.  Houstons recruitment was awful and was what did for him in the end.  In fact terrible recruitment in the main is why we are still in this division.  Our signings apart from the odd gem have been awful.