The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, AGPar said:

Kidd is not a right-back. Back-up midfielder should be the extent of his involvement.

We have, or had as of last week, full-backs on trial so they might be given the chance in some of the friendlies.

We have no wingers at all, so four at the back is not an option.

Wingers, no. Attacking midfielders who should be capable of playing in wide positions? Yup, Owen Edwards and Petravicius can both do that, Froxylias can drift out to. Can't be worse than forcing McGhee and Robson to be wing backs. 

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Kidd is not a right-back. Back-up midfielder should be the extent of his involvement.

We have, or had as of last week, full-backs on trial so they might be given the chance in some of the friendlies.

for us so far maybe not but he played as a wing back for Queens and they were happy with him so he obviously can play in that position.

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

There's also the option of 433, which if we don't sign effective wing backs, will also suck less. We finished 3rd bottom last year doing that, and with the players we have brought in I'd have thought we won't be doing that this season. 

18 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Utter monster. Reported. 

It's a fair cop, i deserve it.

In an attempt to redeem myself through wild speculation, I've not seen oor Alex in the training videos in Wales. Is it possible he's on his way or is my subconscious just blocking him out?

Edited by ilostmyself

Kidd can cover right-back at a push, but both he and Hartley have stated that they prefer him in midfield. Personally, Dundee United game apart, I've not seen him offer much there either. McKee is a far better player. If he's going with wing-backs he needs someone on the right. Surely we're not going be shoehorning players into unfamiliar positions again this year, there's been far too much of that in recent seasons.

Just now, ilostmyself said:

It's a fair cop, i deserve it.

In an attempt to redeem myself through wild speculation, I've not seen oor Alex in the training videos in Wales. Is it possible he's on his way or is my subconscious just blocking him out?

Probably saw the bus and shat it. He's no doubt been told exactly what hes doing this season, so either he is monstering it in training or he is up here trying to find a new club.

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Kidd can cover right-back at a push, but both he and Hartley have stated that they prefer him in midfield. Personally, Dundee United game apart, I've not seen him offer much there either. McKee is a far better player. If he's going with wing-backs he needs someone on the right. Surely we're not going be shoehorning players into unfamiliar positions again this year, there's been far too much of that in recent seasons.

I hope not, I was thinking more along the lines of flexibility. If Petrevicius is a forward rather than a striker, he should be good out wide in the final third, sort of old fashioned inside forward. TOE would be more a conventional attacking mid, but if he can run with the ball and cross, he will drift wide anyway. 

Either way, with two holding midfielders covering defence, we should be fine for full back cover if that is how we play.

A 4-3-3 in attack would be more like a 4-5-1 when defending. It's all up in the air until we get a couple of pre season games to look at.

Edited by DeeBairn

Any attacking option with either Sheps or O Hara is a scary thought and not in the thought it will demolish defences in the fact i dont hold out much hope of either being able to hit the net.

also think Mitchell will start in goals before Fasan

I think trying to pick the team is relatively pointless/unlikley.  Thinking back to previous pre-seasons (especially the earlier games) we had a mix of first teamers and youth/bench warmers.  I think it will be much more interesting come the bet fred games esp the St J game.

Edited by MetalWolf

With what we have atm I'd go

Fasan

Muirhead McGhee Dallison Robson

Kidd Paton Sammut

Froxylias Lewis TOE

Id like to hope Brough has more about him in midfield than Kidd. I dont hate Kidd and was impressed by him a few times last season (all in context I suppose) but if Brough cant do a better job than Kidd I am unsure why we signed hin

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
With what we have atm I'd go

Fasan

Muirhead McGhee Dallison Robson

Kidd Paton Sammut

Froxylias Lewis TOE

Id like to hope Brough has more about him in midfield than Kidd. I dont hate Kidd and was impressed by him a few times last season (all in context I suppose) but if Brough cant do a better job than Kidd I am unsure why we signed hin

Thought Brough was a left back/left mid?

Yeah... The patter seems to be that he is quite adaptable. I just dont neccessarily want to see a team that starts with Kidd in midfield. Maybe Brough wouldnt be one that would start ahead of Kidd, but someone should if we want to win the league

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

Yeah... The patter seems to be that he is quite adaptable. I just dont neccessarily want to see a team that starts with Kidd in midfield. Maybe Brough wouldnt be one that would start ahead of Kidd, but someone should if we want to win the league

I took versatile as to mean could play, LB, LWB, LM, LAM.  Kind of what is said in his interview.

There is a lot to be said about signing a player who can play one position and letting him get on with it. Versatile players are all well and good, but if it's one position one week, another the next you rarely ever get worthwhile performances out of them.

Brough before Kidd, however, I can get behind.