The Falkirk FC Thread

The role that Caldwell played against Australia is one Murdoch had been playing before his injury. Pressley has obviously looked to shift him into a more attacking position, but it's just not effective, especially when Jay Fulton is left behind as the defensive midfielder.

Imo, to regain defensive stability but to keep Duffie and Kingsley's attacking prowess, the best option is a three CBs and two WBs system. I think having an extra CB would help steady the defense, give them some security and some covering in moments of danger.

Two wingbacks firing crosses into the box may not be the best system to use Taylor to his full potential, but until we sign a midfielder with good long range passing, we won't be able to exploit his excellent movement and perfectly timed runs.

The role that Caldwell played against Australia is one Murdoch had been playing before his injury. Pressley has obviously looked to shift him into a more attacking position, but it's just not effective, especially when Jay Fulton is left behind as the defensive midfielder.

Imo, to regain defensive stability but to keep Duffie and Kingsley's attacking prowess, the best option is a three CBs and two WBs system. I think having an extra CB would help steady the defense, give them some security and some covering in moments of danger.

Two wingbacks firing crosses into the box may not be the best system to use Taylor to his full potential, but until we sign a midfielder with good long range passing, we won't be able to exploit his excellent movement and perfectly timed runs.

I don't think that's the case regarding Murdoch. Last season (and this) it appeared the two central midfielders swapped roles, i.e one to sit deeper and one to push on. Jay Fulton is, and never will be a defensive midfield player. If you play a holding midfielder in the current system Fulton would be in midfield on his own.

I agree regarding wing backs also, possibly the most exciting football I've seen Falkirk play was under McCall in the Brockville era using that formation. However with the personal in the squad, I'm not so sure it'd work. First of all we only have 1 striker who is deemed good enough for the first team, meaning playing 2 wing backs and possibly 4 in midfield (too crowded imo) and our squad possesses a few wide players that would be ineffective in that system, Haworth and Sibbald in particular.

I agree fully regarding your last statement, nobody seems to want to play a killer ball to him. As long as we keep the ball everything seems to be okay in the eyes of the team/manager. People saying we miss Millar more than Farid, only because we only replaced one of them.

I don't think that's the case regarding Murdoch. Last season (and this) it appeared the two central midfielders swapped roles, i.e one to sit deeper and one to push on. Jay Fulton is, and never will be a defensive midfield player. If you play a holding midfielder in the current system Fulton would be in midfield on his own.

I agree regarding wing backs also, possibly the most exciting football I've seen Falkirk play was under McCall in the Brockville era using that formation. However with the personal in the squad, I'm not so sure it'd work. First of all we only have 1 striker who is deemed good enough for the first team, meaning playing 2 wing backs and possibly 4 in midfield (too crowded imo) and our squad possesses a few wide players that would be ineffective in that system, Haworth and Sibbald in particular.

I'm thinking of it as more of a case of trying to walk before we can run. A couple of solid defensive displays, at the expense of exciting football, could instill some confidence in the whole team, and especially the defence, and thus allow us to push on from there. I agree that it would render Haworth innefective, but Sibbald has demonstrated against Hamilton in the Ramsdens that he's capable of playing a deeper and central role effectively.

This will seem a ridiculous comparison, but the Shire played a 5-4-1 against Airdrie, with attacking fullbacks but played a passing game rather than an aerial one and totally dominated the game, so it can work and be effective in a passing team.

At the moment I'd choose Murdo over Jay Fulton to play any midfield role, as Jay seems to be completely off the pace at the moment. Tbh, that's probably what accounts for Murdo's recent more advanced role

I Agree with this team!

I don't. Alston is wasted out wide. He's got a better end product than Haworth, so I'd switch the two of them around so we have Alston just in behind Taylor. Alston is going to be key for us this season, and I see him as being the one to replace what we've lost in Millar, in terms of goals and assists.

I'm thinking of it as more of a case of trying to walk before we can run. A couple of solid defensive displays, at the expense of exciting football, could instill some confidence in the whole team, and especially the defence, and thus allow us to push on from there. I agree that it would render Haworth innefective, but Sibbald has demonstrated against Hamilton in the Ramsdens that he's capable of playing a deeper and central role effectively.

This will seem a ridiculous comparison, but the Shire played a 5-4-1 against Airdrie, with attacking fullbacks but played a passing game rather than an aerial one and totally dominated the game, so it can work and be effective in a passing team.

At the moment I'd choose Murdo over Jay Fulton to play any midfield role, as Jay seems to be completely off the pace at the moment. Tbh, that's probably what accounts for Murdo's recent more advanced role

Completely agree. Yes Sibbald can play there but still a bit lightweight (he's only 17 ffs).

Not ridiculous at all, we played 5-4-1 against Rangers in the League Cup and it worked a treat, and whilst we rode our luck, still actually had more possession than them,.

Yeah again agree, but we only have those 2 who are central midfielders, with exception of Dale Fulton and Faulds.

I agree with this. We've got problems in midfield and defence so 3 at the back would help as the ball would spend more time on the wings which is our most effective attacking tactic IMO. Would also help a rather slow and ponderous defence.

To play a back three you need pace in there. Dods, Smith and Flynn ain't Bolt, Blake and Gay

Do you?

Look at our back threes in the McCall days, there was f'ck all pace in there to be fair, it was all about positioning.

Weatherston is comfortable upfront and Leahy is rumoured to be able to play there aswell.

They may be comfortable but its not their preferred position. An injury to taylor and we're totally snookered. We were very fortunate that farid stayed fit all last season.

FFC suspend Tannoy Man for Sevco comments

So what, Martin Ritchie Sevco appologist, he's just made it official now.

It's a defo only the 4 Pars games for me this season. I just don't care anymore.

He'd better hope the Sevco fans spend a shedload, before they go bust again. As I've a lifetime of cash to spend elsewhere.

They've got a great record at tribunals, I can't wait for this one. :lol:

Edited by kiddy

I like how Martin "Vow of Silence over Orc vote" Ritchie, sees nothing secret about employee disciplinary issues.

Clearly they don't attract the same vow of Omerta from Martin as the non-secret "secret ballot".

Funny that.

what a total, total farce. :(

I hope there is a retrospective punishment for the announcer (not sure if same person) who played the duelling banjo's when the dunfermline team lines were getting out a few years back. Consistency and all that.... <_<

I like how Martin "Vow of Silence over Orc vote" Ritchie, sees nothing secret about employee disciplinary issues.

Clearly they don't attract the same vow of Omerta from Martin as the non-secret "secret ballot".

Funny that.

We were left for weeks with no statement at all about how we voted in the whole Rangers situation (and we still don't know 100%) however our tannoy announcer makes a little joke at The Rangers expense and he's on the case straight away. It's nice to see he's got his priorities right there.

I could understand if he said something outrageous but all he said was 'the Sevco Franchise'. I fail to see what the big fuss is about that tbh.