The Falkirk FC Thread

Why ?

edit - just checked and seen The Rangers game at weekend prior is on Sunday....St Mirren are playing the Wednesday, so perhaps thats the reason why......

Celtic are at home on the Wed

Noticing that we're not in any way similar, but was interesting watching the Scotland game last night and what we can learn from it (bare with me).

Scotland played with Hutton and Fox at full back last night, attacking full backs bombing down the wing and providing crosses for the forwards. Both can be questioned on their defensive duties but can provide good delivery into the box.

Last night Scotland played with Gary Caldwell just sitting in front of that back 4, protecting the centre halfs when defending and whilst we were in attack, filling in for whatever full back it was who was going forward.

Kieran Duffie and Stephen Kingsley both like to get forward and can be great assets for us in attack(Duffie in particular), the problem is when they do, they leave a large gap at the back. For Scotland Caldwell would have filled in and for us I'd say the most likely player for us would be Murdoch. However when Caldwell fills in, you still have 2 central midfield players (or in Scotland's case last night) whereas we'd only have Jay Fulton in the system we play.

My point being if we want to be more solid at the back, whilst still looking to attack, we need a holding midfielder of sorts. It would perhaps make a misuse of the "in the hole" position, but on Saturday there it was null and void when Fulton, and then when Sibbald came on. Our biggest attacking asset in Duffie(IMO, at the moment on form) should be utilised and without risking conceding goals. Whilst Taylor isn't as strong in the air as Farid, it shown when we got a ball from out wide into him he can score. Crosses into the box look more of a threat than pass, pass, pass, pass, pass etc. Only an opinion mind. And I'm not sure how the team would shape up as a result of it.

-----------------------------McGovern-------------------------------

Duffie--------------Flynn--------------Dods------------Kingsley

------------------------------Murdoch---------------------------------

----------------------Fulton-------------Leahy-----------------------

Alston-------------------------------------------------------Haworth

-------------------------------Taylor------------------------------------

Perhaps? Especially away from home, where our record hasn't been great.

Edited by Trump

Noticing that we're not in any way similar, but was interesting watching the Scotland game last night and what we can learn from it (bare with me).

Scotland played with Hutton and Fox at full back last night, attacking full backs bombing down the wing and providing crosses for the forwards. Both can be questioned on their defensive duties but can provide good delivery into the box.

Last night Scotland played with Gary Caldwell just sitting in front of that back 4, protecting the centre halfs when defending and whilst we were in attack, filling in for whatever full back it was who was going forward.

Kieran Duffie and Stephen Kingsley both like to get forward and can be great assets for us in attack(Duffie in particular), the problem is when they do, they leave a large gap at the back. For Scotland Caldwell would have filled in and for us I'd say the most likely player for us would be Murdoch. However when Caldwell fills in, you still have 2 central midfield players (or in Scotland's case last night) whereas we'd only have Jay Fulton in the system we play.

My point being if we want to be more solid at the back, whilst still looking to attack, we need a holding midfielder of sorts. It would perhaps make a misuse of the "in the hole" position, but on Saturday there it was null and void when Fulton, and then when Sibbald came on. Our biggest attacking asset in Duffie(IMO, at the moment on form) should be utilised and without risking conceding goals. Whilst Taylor isn't as strong in the air as Farid, it shown when we got a ball from out wide into him he can score. Crosses into the box look more of a threat than pass, pass, pass, pass, pass etc. Only an opinion mind. And I'm not sure how the team would shape up as a result of it.

Terrific thinking there Trump and would be terrific if Elvis decided to adopt that but I don't think he will, sadly. sad.gif

Our best results so far seem to be playing the ball directly and over the top to infront of Taylor instead of wide and crossed over....

This plays to Taylors strengths and his goal on Saturday showed that, not to knock the wide ball played in...

I cant see us changing much from Saturdays formation, perhaps Dale Fulton dropping out

I did fancy the 5 in midfield but feel that we cant do the 3 at the back and any formation of 4 1-2-3-2-2--1-1-1 formation is stil 4-5-1 no matter how you look at it unless your pushing two wide players to support the attack like we did under Yogi....

Its all early days, I remember Raith away last season, I thot we would have many games like that, we really didnt look back after that day its all too early to see where we are....... I still feel its a new team in which we still have to mould what the teams best strengths are, that said I think Millar is a bigger miss than Farid so far.......

Exchange Haworth with leahy, and I'd agree. Leahy looked much better up front, pre season, and Haworth looks like one of the few prepared to drive forward.

Terrific thinking there Trump and would be terrific if Elvis decided to adopt that but I don't think he will, sadly. sad.gif

All those years on Football Manager have finally paid off. He likes his set out 4-4-1-1, which can be good if you have the right players for it, and possibly even at home when teams are less offensive. However I definitely think we should adopt something like this away from home.

Our best results so far seem to be playing the ball directly and over the top to infront of Taylor instead of wide and crossed over....

This plays to Taylors strengths and his goal on Saturday showed that, not to knock the wide ball played in...

I cant see us changing much from Saturdays formation, perhaps Dale Fulton dropping out

I did fancy the 5 in midfield but feel that we cant do the 3 at the back and any formation of 4 1-2-3-2-2--1-1-1 formation is stil 4-5-1 no matter how you look at it unless your pushing two wide players to support the attack like we did under Yogi....

Its all early days, I remember Raith away last season, I thot we would have many games like that, we really didnt look back after that day its all too early to see where we are....... I still feel its a new team in which we still have to mould what the teams best strengths are, that said I think Millar is a bigger miss than Farid so far.......

I'll give you that, however this team are very reluctant to play any long balls, has to be 5/10 yard passes. There has been several times where Taylor has made excellent runs but we have either failed to spot him or would rather hold onto the ball.

The idea with the holding midfielder is that it still allows us to have a good attacking threat (i.e Duffie) to help the likes of Haworth, Fulton etc to create chances, whilst maintaining that defensive stability. Its only an idea(albeit has it flaws) and granted we have only had one game. One thing we failed to do was win away from home. We had a fantastic home record last year despite a few poor games towards the end of the season, but can't always rely on that, or if we want to improve maintain a good home record whilst being better on the road.

Exchange Haworth with leahy, and I'd agree. Leahy looked much better up front, pre season, and Haworth looks like one of the few prepared to drive forward.

Leahy looked good from deeper I think, and great arriving into the box. Think we need this from midfield, and plus, don't think Haworth has the work rate for central midfield.