The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, btb said:

If Gallacher did go for a decent fee (the asking price was £750k last January IIRC) might the club rethink scrapping the youth set-up?

Are u on drugs ?

We would be lucky to get four figures for Gallagher at present...

Still standing firm on my opinion that to have a development policy, you have to have a manager that buys into it, under Houston we didn't, not blaming him for that, the board hold the blame......the remit for expense to the team is firmly accountable to them and they continually funded Houston under circumstances where we had mission impossible in achieving what the budget given

41 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Are u on drugs ?

We would be lucky to get four figures for Gallagher at present...

Still standing firm on my opinion that to have a development policy, you have to have a manager that buys into it, under Houston we didn't, not blaming him for that, the board hold the blame......the remit for expense to the team is firmly accountable to them and they continually funded Houston under circumstances where we had mission impossible in achieving what the budget given

Aye £19.99 and we've won a watch.

Can't see us picking up money for any of the dross - more likely spend a fortune paying them off.

Let's hope for some inspired recruitment from PH, which I seriously doubt given his record at Dundee.

Merry Xmas 

Edited by Bofabairn

On 24/12/2017 at 10:43, roman_bairn said:

Well you need to sign better players than we already have. So far Hartley has signed Louis Longridge....

Interesting article here re Hartley’s signings whilst at Dundee.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee/judging-all-44-of-paul-hartley-s-dundee-signings-1-4422618

On the same link, there's an analysis of almost every managers signings, none of them are great viewing to be fair.

Yeah but context is always helpful.

Ok let’s say he brings in eight new signings in January.

Proportional to that report maybe one or two would turn out to be good signings. Indeed maybe one of them will be a very good signing!

However 5 or 6 will end up being duffers.

Not really what we are looking for if we are to avoid the playoffs.

I will be delighted if he proves me wrong here but again, I think those expecting a positive revolution in January are being a tad optimistic.

Go and look at Sir Alex Fergusons list in that context, or Arsene Wengers... Every manager has signed many duffers. Its a pretty meaningless list and I am surprised and football fan is overly concerned about his hit/miss ratio. I imagine it to be in line with the majority of managers tbh. The only anomoly in the case of Hartley is he seems to go for that number of transfers in a shorter time

Again you are making the same point as the previous poster.

My point is that he needs to make a higher proportion of good signings in January that he has done to date if we are to progress adequately.

We could look at Houston’s signing record on here and make the very same point but he was rightly hammered on here for so many poor signings.

Why are so many on here ready to give Hartley the benefit of the doubt when so far we have probably gone backwards under his stewardship and his signings record does not look great?

18 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

My point is that he needs to make a higher proportion of good signings in January that he has done to date if we are to progress adequately.

We could look at Houston’s signing record on here and make the very same point but he was rightly hammered on here for so many poor signings.

Why are so many on here ready to give Hartley the benefit of the doubt when so far we have probably gone backwards under his stewardship and his signings record does not look great?

Would you rather he made no signings and tried to work with the current squad?

I'm prepared to give Hartley the benefit of the doubt because we have no choice but to trust him. We're in a scrap and the only chance we have involves bringing in a few new faces who can get the job done. 

We'd be bottom right now if Raith were still in this league.

Would you rather he made no signings and tried to work with the current squad?
I'm prepared to give Hartley the benefit of the doubt because we have no choice but to trust him. We're in a scrap and the only chance we have involves bringing in a few new faces who can get the job done. 
We'd be bottom right now if Raith were still in this league.

Don’t think I have said that.

It rather looks like given the morale and lack of real motivation of some of the players changes are needed. I had hoped we would have seen a reversal of this under a new manager.

It’s just that I believe our prospects of avoiding the playoffs are not high and that I have been unimpressed with the progress we have seen under Hartley to date.

The majority on here seem to believe that we will easily escape that fate once a whole bunch of new players come in.

We are now favourites with the bookmakers to finish ninth so I am not alone in my thinking.

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Personally? Hope mainly. Totally get what you are saying however...Been truly depressing to watch us this season, so I’ll happily delude myself that it’s going to get better until such point as it’s clear we’re out of space to fix things.

Football should come with an investment warning - ‘past performance is not an indicator of future returns’. Just like players, managers can come good (hopefully Hartley) and turn bad (See Houston) at points.

Personally? Hope mainly. Totally get what you are saying however...Been truly depressing to watch us this season, so I’ll happily delude myself that it’s going to get better until such point as it’s clear we’re out of space to fix things.
Football should come with an investment warning - ‘past performance is not an indicator of future returns’. Just like players, managers can come good (hopefully Hartley) and turn bad (See Houston) at points.

I am with you on this.

I totally hope that my low expectations are proved wrong and that Hartley turns out to be a much better manager than I perceive him to be.