The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s absolutely mental. At Championship level, I don’t think any club has come anywhere near as to the numbers of ins and outs we have experienced over a single summer and a January. As you say, we are almost at the point of being able to field a side none of whom were at the club in December.

That's cos we're in the money. The blue pound talks.

It's amazing what you can afford when you don't have to pay Morton any compensation for their assets.  :whistle

* waves to Branchton while putting bait on the hook *

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That's cos we're in the money. The blue pound talks.

It's amazing what you can afford when you don't have to pay Morton any compensation for their assets.  :whistle

* waves to Branchton while putting bait on the hook *

Any idea of the latest with this?

Five, plus five who signed extensions in the summer.
PB, LF, SH, PP, DP signed for the first time.
LK JM AM KOH TR extended.

Perhaps a more interesting stat is that we've now signed nine players since the start of the month with an equivalent number out. We're on course to change an entire team in the January window.

For the 3rd time in 12 months. Madness

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What is all this pish about crunchy coming from juniors therefore juniors = decent?  youse do realise that was over a quarter of a centaury ago ?  

back when the majority of the second tier and some of the premier division we're still part time, things have moved on since then. 

Ok then add Brian Martin and Roddie Manley that's just 2 off the top of my head.

John Stuart juniors I think, not the steptoe one.

Scored a hat-trick in a reserve trial game on a Monday, signed and came on as a sub in a league game days later and back heeled the ball against his trailing leg knocking the ball out the park and was subbed not long after, gotta love Davie Clarke for that.

Jack Ross would be another hit but there are far more misses than hits

17 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Surprised no-one's mentioned Big Craw yet.

....or his big mate Alan Irvine. We signed him from Whitburn, then he had his spell with us, and he started his downward slide by signing for..........Liverpool.

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

....or his big mate Alan Irvine. We signed him from Whitburn, then he had his spell with us, and he started his downward slide by signing for..........Liverpool.

I remember listening to the radio when Alan Irvine came on as a sub in the Merseyside derby.....

That is before TV took over showing how long ago that was, times have changed in that era, we had a handful of full time players, many clubs either part time or in similar situation as ourselves as we were progressive with a handful of full time players.

24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Not according to Wiki (I know), says we signed him from Hibs and that they signed him from Blackburn. I could have sworn that we signed him from East Fife but they were his last club apparently.

3 hours ago, keithgy said:

That is 4 goalkeepers on the books with Fasan and Mitchell both out of contract in the summer it is safe to say one will go and we all want it to be Fasan.

Mutch still has 3 years left on his deal and boy he must have had one hell of an agent to get a 4 year deal.

I had a conversation a few months back with a director who said, quote “ Robbie Mutch” is probably our most sellable asset. That sums up the state we are in.

So basically we need to scout the juniors because 30 to 40 years ago, players slipped through far smaller youth scouting networks? 
And this is another key point. We need to weigh up allocating resources to a low level, not only hoping to find a diamond in the rough, but hoping said diamond has somehow evaded the notice of those clubs whose scouting networks DO have the resources to allocate to that level.

We wont win a bidding war to sign a well known prospect at Junior level. The best we could really do is try to identify players who maybe have it in them but havent shown it enough to have been grabbed, and take them on trial (see Livi taking the boy from Camelon)

We would be fortunate to get one first teamer every five years IMO.

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Not according to Wiki (I know), says we signed him from Hibs and that they signed him from Blackburn. I could have sworn that we signed him from East Fife but they were his last club apparently.

My golden era, and I am pretty sure Hibs let him go, and he ended up at Whitburn for a brief spell, and then we signed him. Pretty certain we didn’t pick him directly from Hibs.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And this is another key point. We need to weigh up allocating resources to a low level, not only hoping to find a diamond in the rough, but hoping said diamond has somehow evaded the notice of those clubs whose scouting networks DO have the resources to allocate to that level.

We wont win a bidding war to sign a well known prospect at Junior level. The best we could really do is try to identify players who maybe have it in them but havent shown it enough to have been grabbed, and take them on trial (see Livi taking the boy from Camelon)

We would be fortunate to get one first teamer every five years IMO.

Absolutely. Pittman I think, was at Hamilton, and was rated too, but got a bit of a reputation for being trouble, so was let go and ended up in the Juniors where he got his act together. That happens sometimes, but not often.

My old man (who was with Third Lanark when war broke out) always said there were better players in the pub than ever graced the Scottish leagues, and he was probably right. There have been many great players who for any number of reasons, fell out of the game either ending up in the juniors, or amateurs, or just the pub.

Very few fall through from the seniors to the juniors and still have the same appetite and dedication to make it back up again, and even fewer really talented young ones make it to the juniors without being intercepted by the seniors.

Edited by Duncan Freemason