The Falkirk FC Thread

47 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I actually think out of our signings Harrison is the one who does care. He's not fast or fancy, you get exactly what it says on the tin with him and he knows his limitations. I may be completely off the mark but he strikes me as someone who has come up here to get away from issues he's had down south and i think he is desperate to do well.

For me he is future captain material. My mates think he's mince but I don't.

It was mentioned when he signed that he was moving to get away from personal issues. So to him its probably not just a job. It's likely going to be guys like him, Greenwood and Robson who look genuinely grateful for a second chance who will pull us out this rut. Also Muirhead, but he just likes kicking people. As long as he's at centre half though. 

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I actually think out of our signings Harrison is the one who does care. He's not fast or fancy, you get exactly what it says on the tin with him and he knows his limitations. I may be completely off the mark but he strikes me as someone who has come up here to get away from issues he's had down south and i think he is desperate to do well.

I agree, he may not be the most skillful player we`ve had but he`s certainly giving 100%. When we thought we had equalised against ICT, you could see what it meant to the players. I just hope we can find a system that suits the personnel we have very soon before that spirit gets knocked out of them.

AV6K3053.jpg

AV6K3065.jpg

I actually think that every single one of them cares. In terms of application, I think they are all going to give it 100% (including the manager).

Thing is, if there’s a major breakdown in one component part (and in our case, “recruitment” seems to be the bit that has failed massively), then Hartley is left trying all sorts of stuff to try and get the best from what he has. One thing is for sure, and that is Hartley is never likely to go down this path again.

If we could turn back the clock, and have someone else picking up players in England, then Pressley would be the ideal choice. The man couldn’t build a team to help himself, but he certainly could spot a player. This Mitchell fellah seems to be no more skilled at it than your average supporter tbh.

2 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Bad Willie agent saying he's keen on joining us I hear. Not sure if he's got much left in the tank. I was hoping for a more mobile foil for Haber! 

He is the heir apparent to the “waster” crown previously worn by O’Connor and Riordan. Surprised Livingston didn’t snap him up, as he is a perfect fit for them. I would imagine he would be there now if they hadn’t been promoted.

It would be a pretty desperate act for us to sign him. At 29, he should be at the peak oh his powers,  but it’s a difficult thing to separate Goodwillie the footballer from Goodwillie the person.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Like all Falkirk fans we all want to be wrong and it does turn. But the pressure is on to do it quickly or the season could have gone by mid September.

Had we lost the games we have lost and looked decent and or the opposition had looked excellent then I don’t think there would be as much “panic” but if we are all honest it has looked awful. In the league games neither of the other sides looked anything other than competent.

However I will be at the QoS game hoping the 10 days off have cleared up injuries, sorted a pattern of play that is effective and more than 3/4 players show they are up to this level and better.

Agreed...and I hardly think there’s panic amongst the support. There will certainly be some of it behind the scenes though.

All we have to hang our hopes on is that a new environment away from what they are used to is making a lot of the English contingent play with the handbrake on, and adjusting to their new surroundings is proving to be harder than they thought.

Sadly, if it’s not that, and it genuinely is down to a lack of ability to play at this level, then it won’t be a shitey start, it’ll be a shitey team, and another shitey season.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Like all Falkirk fans we all want to be wrong and it does turn. But the pressure is on to do it quickly or the season could have gone by mid September.

Had we lost the games we have lost and looked decent and or the opposition had looked excellent then I don’t think there would be as much “panic” but if we are all honest it has looked awful. In the league games neither of the other sides looked anything other than competent.

However I will be at the QoS game hoping the 10 days off have cleared up injuries, sorted a pattern of play that is effective and more than 3/4 players show they are up to this level and better.

Agreed.... But I think 3/4 players stepping up gives us a team of 7 or 8 v 11

4 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

I've seen both Harrison and Dallison put the boot into Muirhead, and Lewis looking like someone has shot his cat at the final whistle. They may not have a bond with the club yet, but to suggest they don't care about winning is off. Hard to tell with Paton though, as he's a snarly mess most of the time. That bond sure as hell won't ever happen if they keep getting abuse from the stands. 

Paton is growing on me, he won't be the standout and probably never has been in his career its just important he has an out ball, I criticised him continually using Muirhead as an out ball and passing the buck but the reality is, if we had a proper right back then that would be a good out ball.

51 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If we could turn back the clock, and have someone else picking up players in England, then Pressley would be the ideal choice. The man couldn’t build a team to help himself, but he certainly could spot a player. This Mitchell fellah seems to be no more skilled at it than your average supporter tbh.

Given Pressley's best signings were reccomended to him, I really don't see where he can spot a player.

Outside Taylor and Farid who were handed to him, I can think of more donkeys than decent

He's a bit of a bombscare but his commitment is always there.

Guest Back Post Misses
Given Pressley's best signings were reccomended to him, I really don't see where he can spot a player.
Outside Taylor and Farid who were handed to him, I can think of more donkeys than decent

I said we need more than 3/4 that we have just now to step up not another 3/4.

Delighted to see Jay Fulton back in Swansea's first team. A player you can depend on to play to a system but perhaps lacking a bit of confidence in terms of taking risks. Good luck to the lad.

*Thought I'd chip in with an ex-Bairn comment to steer the thread away from any more Goodwillie chat. No fucking way.

Genuine question, matching this years new signings v their rough equivalent  from last year (either players who have left or players currently not playing regularly ), how many of them do you reckon have improved on what we had?

Fasan v Thompson

Harrison v Grant
Dallison v Watson
Brough v Robson
Russell v Kidd

Paton v Taiwo
Petravicius v Harris
Irving v Sibbald
Greenwood v Hippolyte
Owen-Evans v McKee
Sammut v Welsh
Froxilias v Longridge
Turner v O'Hara 

Lewis v Austin
Mackin v Miller
Haber v Loy

Genuine question, matching this years new signings v their rough equivalent  from last year (either players who have left or players currently not playing regularly ), how many of them do you reckon have improved on what we had?
Fasan v Thompson Yee
Harrison v Grant About the same prob
Dallison v Watson Yes
Brough v Robson No
Russell v Kidd Yes
Paton v Taiwo No
Petravicius v Harris Yes
Irving v Sibbald Too early but no
Greenwood v Hippolyte Possible but early
Owen-Evans v McKee Dont know
Sammut v Welsh Yes by default
Froxilias v Longridge Not yet but should
Turner v O'Hara Irrelevant
Lewis v Austin Yes on last season form
Mackin v Miller No
Haber v Loy Yes

24 minutes ago, oot_the_loop said:

Fasan v Thompson

Harrison v Grant
Dallison v Watson
Brough v Robson
Russell v Kidd

Paton v Taiwo
Petravicius v Harris
Irving v Sibbald
Greenwood v Hippolyte
Owen-Evans v McKee
Sammut v Welsh
Froxilias v Longridge
Turner v O'Hara 

Lewis v Austin
Mackin v Miller
Haber v Loy

Fasan and Haber apart, I think you'd struggle to make an argument for any of them being an improvement.