The Falkirk FC Thread

I thought the defence looked better last night but Brough was caught out badly a few times at LB. Dallison & Harrison looked solid in the middle but some of Muirhead's passing was painful and he made little attempt to get forward and support Petravicius, who was having a good game until he was booted in the guts and then disappeared until the 2nd half.  The tactics didn't look good for Lewis last night - long high balls were useless as he's too small to win headers, hard fast passes to feet didn't work as the ball always bounces ten feet off him and he hasn't got the pace to chase long balls behind the defence.  Apart from the fact he can't header, can't control a pass and can't run, the boy looks promising though.  I thought Mackin looked useful when he came on and helped create a link between the forwards and midfield.
I thought Dennon was meant to be quick. One of the attributes when we signed him was that he had pace yet your saying he's slow?

I honestly think Mackin is underrated. I wasn't at the game last night but against Montrose and Forfar I seen positives from him that makes me think he could be a handy player for us this season.

I'd really like us to get Nelson though. The boy is a defenders worst nightmare and IMO better than Yak (Id be delighted if we got him btw) because when Nelson got injured last season it affected Yak's performances, so it shows what he does for other players playing alongside him

18 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Lewis is going to be on eif those strikers that needs to be fed the ball yen yards out. Do that and hell score goals. Up to PH and the midfield to figure out how. 

I agree. He looks like he could do a bit if given the ball in the right areas.

14 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
18 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:
Ask [mention=67339]bridge of allan bairn[/mention] if there is another Falkirk fan in Bridge of Allan. That would be my bet. 

if there is we haven't met!

Just trying to riddle the username, a d best I can do is a contraction of bridge of Alan. 

I thought Dennon was meant to be quick. One of the attributes when we signed him was that he had pace yet your saying he's slow?

I honestly think Mackin is underrated. I wasn't at the game last night but against Montrose and Forfar I seen positives from him that makes me think he could be a handy player for us this season.

I'd really like us to get Nelson though. The boy is a defenders worst nightmare and IMO better than Yak (Id be delighted if we got him btw) because when Nelson got injured last season it affected Yak's performances, so it shows what he does for other players playing alongside him
I agree 're your points on Mackin and Nelson. I'd be reasonably happy rotating 2 out of 3 between Nelson Lewis and Mackin based on form opposition formation etc. I'd really like us to play 2 up front though.

I agree 're your points on Mackin and Nelson. I'd be reasonably happy rotating 2 out of 3 between Nelson Lewis and Mackin based on form opposition formation etc. I'd really like us to play 2 up front though.
I think he will play 2 up top. I think he was maybe seeing how Dennon would cope on his own or if the three supporting players would suit it. If we were to play 1up top it would have to be Mackin however he would need plenty of support when he got the ball

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:
27 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think he will play 2 up top. I think he was maybe seeing how Dennon would cope on his own or if the three supporting players would suit it. If we were to play 1up top it would have to be Mackin however he would need plenty of support when he got the ball

He said at one of the roadshows in May that we would be playing two forwards this season. Last night may have been an exception because we were playing a higher-league team away from home.

1 minute ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Just seen Hartley's interview and he said they are still trying to add 1 or 2 before Inverness and the Inverness game was always the main aim for the team. 

Big improvement last night and if there is further improvement then we will be up there this season.

Sorry for being such a happy clapper :lol:

:thumsup2

What a fucking place. 2 weeks ago half the posters thought we would walk the league cos we had signed a lot of handsome players. 

2 weeks on the other half think we are shite cos we lost a meaningless cup match to a team who have done relatively well in a higher league than us over the last few years.

As some have alluded to, Inverness is where the real games start. I’ve seen positive progress over the last 3 games with defence and gk looking solid. PH has also been very up front in saying he wants to add 2 more players so the rebuild is not complete yet.

I am looking forward to the ICT game and the progress our team will make this season.

COYB.

Defence certainly seems to be shaping up well and the keeper looks like a decent addition.  Main question marks hang over centre mid , right back and up front.  Paton will obviously take one position and we really need a bit more creativity in there to partner him.  Up top some goals and a wee bit more experience could make all the difference.

I'm going to criticise Hartley, why 1 up front? If it's being treated as a glorified friendly why so defensive? Would it matter if we lose, so why play 1 up front! In 3 games we've continually lumped 60 yard diagonal balls from defence to either wing with our midfield looking lost, hopefully this isn't how we'll play in the league. The defence looked better last night, hopefully there will be continued improvement into the league games, it's early days and a lot of players are settling in but at the same time there looks to be a lot to worry about with this squad of players.

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

So basically you'd prefer to have 6 mediocre strikers than 2 or 3  ones that are better quality?  Why do we need 6 strikers when we have a very tight budget?

The difference is that Manchester City play a system which only requires 1 upfront as they have lots of other attacking players who can support the striker. 

We're not going to have strikers or midfielders good enough to do that(as shown last night) so we'll be playing 2 upfront in most games. 

If we only had 2 strikers like you suggest, we'd have absolutely no one to bring on in case of injury or not playing well.

Funnily enough, we did exactly as you suggest in 2013/14 with Rory Loy and Mark Beck our only 2 strikers. Loy then got injured and we had no first team back ups for the play off quarter final.