The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

What a bunch of bed shitters on this thread. Start worrying when we are struggling after a few competitive league games.

Exactly. Everyone seems to be forgetting these Cup games are for fine tuning the team, I've seen definite improvement over the last few games.

That and we still have 1 to come in, hopefully 2. 

Some of the posts on the last page have perked me right up. Some down to earth honest assessments with less of the knicker wetting. That's good to see. 

I still believe in Hartley. League 100% the priority here. 

10 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

You lost 1-0 at St Johnstone. Calm the f**k doon.

This. 

I thought PH wasn't interested in winning these games anyway?  He claims they are only training sessions to get the team ready for the league campaign? 

Look at the positives here, an established premier league team could only beat your ungelled team by one goal. 

Its great that the Pars are top of group D but, I'd give it up for a good season in the league. 

Cant help feeling we'd have been better going for a bit more quality than quantity especially up front.  Lewis, O'Hara. Shepherd, Mackin, Turner and hopefully one more. Christ  the likes of Chelsea and Man City  only have what 2 maybe 3 strikers in their first team squads. I'd much rather we had 3 or 4 max with a couple of real quality for this level. To me thats the only way we can compete properly to win this league against teams with bigger budgets.

I thought the defence looked better last night but Brough was caught out badly a few times at LB. Dallison & Harrison looked solid in the middle but some of Muirhead's passing was painful and he made little attempt to get forward and support Petravicius, who was having a good game until he was booted in the guts and then disappeared until the 2nd half.  The tactics didn't look good for Lewis last night - long high balls were useless as he's too small to win headers, hard fast passes to feet didn't work as the ball always bounces ten feet off him and he hasn't got the pace to chase long balls behind the defence.  Apart from the fact he can't header, can't control a pass and can't run, the boy looks promising though.  I thought Mackin looked useful when he came on and helped create a link between the forwards and midfield.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Cant help feeling we'd have been better going for a bit more quality than quantity especially up front.  Lewis, O'Hara. Shepherd, Mackin, Turner and hopefully one more. Christ  the likes of Chelsea and Man City  only have what 2 maybe 3 strikers in their first team squads. I'd much rather we had 3 or 4 max with a couple of real quality for this level. To me thats the only way we can compete properly to win this league against teams with bigger budgets.

I think the forward area will be fine if we get Nelson back. Him and Lewis would make a good partnership in my opinion with Mackin an option off the bench if we need to chase a game. We then have Turner and O'Hara as back up although I'd maybe stick O'Hara out on loan until January. 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I know you cant compare us to them but they have money to burn but only deem it necessary to have 2 or 3 strikers in their first team squad  and yet we could end up with 6 on a tight budget.  

I just can't even begin to bring myself to debate this point with you. You must be joking about here. I'm not falling for it.

Just now, Rugster said:

I just can't even begin to bring myself to debate this point with you. You must be joking about here. I'm not falling for it.

So basically you'd prefer to have 6 mediocre strikers than 2 or 3  ones that are better quality?  Why do we need 6 strikers when we have a very tight budget?

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

So basically you'd prefer to have 6 mediocre strikers than 2 or 3  ones that are better quality?  Why do we need 6 strikers when we have a very tight budget?

f**k's sake. Ok. We finished 8th in the second tier last season. Mediocre strikers are who we are able to attract at the moment. Good quality strikers are not readily available, and those that are have far better options than us. We will be able to attract a better quality of striker when we place far higher in this league, or when we win promotion.

It's all well and good saying sign 3 strikers at £1,500 a week instead of 6 at £750 a week, but if you can't get 3 decent strikers at £1,500 a week then what do you do?

In any case who's to say we start with 6? I'm sure he's looking to move at least one out on loan. I also wouldn't count Shepherd as a first team striker in any case. To get to six you're stretching it by counting him, and counting a player we haven't even signed yet.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That's like saying i want to do my shopping in Waitrose but i only want to pay Lidl prices and even that is flawed you only have to look at some player moves to highlight that one look at Torres at Liverpool 65 goals in 102 games then moved to Chelsea 20 goals in 110 games.

19 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

3 front men would be fine if we were planning on playing 1 up top, but were not so we need more

7 minutes ago, Rugster said:

f**k's sake. Ok. We finished 8th in the second tier last season. Mediocre strikers are who we are able to attract at the moment. Good quality strikers are not readily available, and those that are have far better options than us. We will be able to attract a better quality of striker when we place far higher in this league, or when we win promotion.

It's all well and good saying sign 3 strikers at £1,500 a week instead of 6 at £750 a week, but if you can't get 3 decent strikers at £1,500 a week then what do you do?

In any case who's to say we start with 6? I'm sure he's looking to move at least one out on loan. I also wouldn't count Shepherd as a first team striker in any case. To get to six you're stretching it by counting him, and counting a player we haven't even signed yet.

Is that not why we're paying some punter down south to trawl the market down there and get us better quality than we can get up here?   Early days I know but theres been little to suggest so far that the strikers we've signed are any better than a Bob McHugh or a John Baird.  We've ditched our academy to give the manager better funds to attract better players . St Mirren came 3rd bottom the season before last and yet still managed to bring in better quality than us even though  we came second.   I'm not that bothered about results in these pre season games but it is starting to concern me that we are going to be lacking up front this season as goals so far have been very hard to come by.

13 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

That's like saying i want to do my shopping in Waitrose but i only want to pay Lidl prices and even that is flawed you only have to look at some player moves to highlight that one look at Torres at Liverpool 65 goals in 102 games then moved to Chelsea 20 goals in 110 games.

Not at all.Having changed our structure totally I want to see some results coming from that. The reason we ditched the academy is so we could get a better scouting team in place to get better quality from down south than we can get here.  So far I'm unconvinced by that and im concerned that players like Turner will simply be a waste of a wage.  Players like Baird would just about guarantee you 10 goals at least at this level.  Whoever we're bringing in should be at least aiming for that and more.

11 hours ago, Bofabairn said:

Hartleys signings are a crock of shit

Far too early to judge them for now tho I'd say none of them have made me think wow or too good for us/league.

A lot of workman like or something to work with is my opinion so far, hopefully the latter comes good and the next signings make a difference

10 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

I think we do have good striker, the issue is that none of them can play up front on their own.  Lewis/Mackin or Lewis/Nelson will score goals at championship level when we are getting service from both wings. The thought of Robson overlapping with a winger down the left is tempting.

Far too early to judge anything on one game re strikers being able to play up top on their own, it wasn't working last night and we took far too long to change it. The formation we had has to support the striker and have a bit of quality about them, a left back (Robson), TOE and Petra not surprisingly didn't do that. 

Sammut and TOE for me look like us bleeding in two academy players, they perhaps do have quality but its a big jump to doing it first team.

We needed a bit of magic sparkle yet Froxy who seemingly has that remained on the bench.

Last week we made two sub's at half time, which suggests we are trying things out in players formatiin in these games, last night we didnt