The Falkirk FC Thread

the start to this season reminds me a bit of 2 seasons ago after the brilliant end of the season beating hibs in the play off and going out to killie I went to the first game at stirling Albion and we went from will vaulks to Lewis kidd and I thought what on earth have we done? we ended up making the play offs again but struggling more. last season with loy Austin miller sibbald and hippo up front I genuinely was excited to watch that side play and we were awful. I still don't know what really happened. if you look at what we started with up top last season and compare to this it's streets apart yet well surely start better than last season? funny old game

I was always a massive Tom Taiwo mark but I can completely see why he was punted. His injury record was absolutely terrible and it looked like after the Rangers games last season (where he was horrific) Hartley didn’t really trust anymore and clearly wanted to bring in his own player to play that role. FWIW really don’t understand the stick that Paton has been getting so far. He’s there to do a job and think he’s been perfectly fine so far.

Could Dennon Lewis not potentially be our main striker this season? I do think he still need another striker in as well but don’t understand why he can’t be the ‘recognised striker’ you are talking about.
I liked Tom taiwo but get the injury argument I would just like to have seen him replaced by someone a bit more mobile.

're Lewis he absolutely could do a job for us this season and I hope he does but wouldn't want to hang my hat on him. really interested to see who the final striker we get in is....

First quarter? If we lose the first game against Inverness the usual dribbling morons will be out in force telling us all how shite Hartley and all the new signings are.
If we are not 2-0 up at half time their will be fans calling for his head

Feeling opinions will be different again after Saturday. Think we will have a convincing win at bayview. 

Team changes every game so until we're a few games into the season with hopefully a bit of consistency none of us will have a clue what the team are capable of. 

If the Nelson chat turns out to be true would be happy to have him back. 

On a controversial note would be quite happy to slip Clyde a £5 for Goodwillie. Has the experience and knows where the goal is. A hate figure would also be good for the banter;)

I thought we looked decent defensively but piss poor going forward. I still cannot fathom why we have signed a player like Dylan Mackin. I get he’s more physical than the rest and is a different option but there must have been other options out there. I was impressed with Petra out wide right and thought he was our best player on the night. Sammut needs game time to get up to playing at a competitive level, he looked well out his depth. Pretty sure not one of his passes went to someone in a yellow shirt. I’m more than happy to keep finding our feet if it means we’re set come Aug 4th because I don’t fancy playing catch up when it comes to the league yet again.

i'm seeing gradual improvements as the games tick by, but I'm a bit worried we're going to be a good few games into the league before we really find our feet and reach the 'fine tweaking' stage. It worries me that even if these games have been for 'tinkering' and 'gelling', I'm not seeing enough individual talents from enough of the players to make me think we have a 'great' squad with the character, personality, style, whatever you want to call it, to get promoted. I'm also not a fan of the one up front formation regardless of who we're playing, it's not working with lewis (who seems like a decent player, but not playing to his strengths), and it didn't work with jak when we tried it last season. 

it would be nice to see some style, flair instead of just 'control', our most entertaining moments over the past few seasons have been with players like sibbald and vaulks........it almost seems like we're missing someone in that mold, or not playing the style that allows someone to run with that role. I've seen some promising distribution from TOE and Sammut, but they're not running at defenses like the aforementioned past players........maybe that'll come?

got a sneaky feeling we'll be solid this year, but a bit lacking in flair. I'm still hopeful but not too confident unfortunately.

Was it just me or was it the 65th min til we had any kind of shot on the goal, no shots either wide or over the bar until that 65 mark, and that was straight at the keeper,,,,,,powder puff up front and too many stray passes, looked to me as if Saints did just enough,,,,,,we desperately need a big target man to hold the ball up and others to play off him, playing the way we do and the heads will go down, not long til the season will be upon us and  a good few of the other teams have been looking good so far, fear we will get a right royal pumping if the team don't improve by a good margin.

I’ve stayed neutral on the Hartley love or hate fest but my only concern is we look far from a settled side with Hartley still unsure of his best team or formation.
We have one game left to trial things as we’ve just been punted out of the third biggest competition in Scotland. So I hope we use it well and try the team and formation that we plan to use against ICT.
I’m trying not to be too negative here but losing 1-0 to St J tonight does not look like a bad result but if we never created much I am not sure St J would have been at Premiership standard tonight. They did all they needed to do tonight.
For me we have just made significant strategic change with the sole objective of promotion. Third or fourth does not cut it for me.
I think we need 7 points from the first four games to be competitive.
I’m continuing to measure this season as early success or failure on that target.,..

Wasn't an awful performance by any means but Lewis was on a hiding to nothing up front on his own. Not sure tonight told us too much about him other than he'll put in a shift when needed.

Tom Owen-Evans was good along with Dallison and Fasan.

Can't see Brough getting much gametime for us this year barring injuries, Greenwood won't have to do much to dislodge him from the side and put Robson back at LB. Mackin and Turner offered nothing when they came on too.

Wouldn't say I'm mega worried yet assuming we get another striker in and Greenwood isn't a dud. The striker who comes in will need to be one of our best players though.

I don't see anyone not backing him. Everyone wants him to succeed. Pointing out issues doesn't mean we're not backing him.

Totally agree. Think there is a world of difference in making some observations on a fans forum and what people do whilst watching the team live in the flesh. The vast majority of posts on here regarding Hartley are supportive and optimistic. If anything people going out of their way to look for signs of positivity. A few recent performances have raised a few questions but it is not until the season kicks of that any praise or criticisms can be judged as measured valid, or worthwhile in my view.

However negativity from the stands on a match day, Main Stand or otherwise is embarrassing and completely counterproductive. Those that engage in that I will fully supporting the getting to f**k.

I agree that the next 2 (I hope 3 and one will be a right back) signings will maybe be the most crucial for the season ahead. Also I’m choosing to think that against a strong Aberdeen & St Johnstone we didn’t look out of depth at all. I’m choosing to ignore that we did against a few others.

All depends what people class a poor first quarter. I think a lot of folk are expecting us to batter this league, whereas I'm expecting us to finish Top 4.

The aim should be 7th or definitely above. Most players young and some on 2 year contracts. I want clear promotion or at worst 4th

Overall, I thought we played much better last night (than I had seen so far) especially against a premiership team. I thought we pressed a lot more than we had in the last few games.

We had 3 good chances blasted wide/over the bar by Dennon Lewis, Owen-Evans & Tommy Robson in the 2nd half. Needed composure & we could have scored a couple. Petravicious had a good effort too but right at the keeper. He still looks to be our most dangerous attacker just now IMHO.

For me, we didn’t bring on a 2nd striker soon enough & Saints handled Dennon Lewis on his own comfortably. Think it’s harsh to say he was shite when he ran his legs off & badly needed a partner.

Defensively better IMHO too though LB was a concern in the 1st half but Brough was much better in the 2nd half defensively. I’d rather we played Robson LB tbh and assume he will when Greenwood is fit & ready.

Missing something creative in midfield although Sammut played well & I wouldn’t have subbed him off. Let’s see who these 2/3 other new players are & sounds like they will be in before Inverness. I’d be shocked if Nelson isn’t one of them.

PS Decent crowd up last night I thought. Good backing too.

IMG_5285.jpg