The Falkirk FC Thread

Like I said earlier if we bring in a right back I can see him being for backup and not someone to get excited about. McGhee is a better option at right back than centre half if we're planning on playing 4 at the back.

I also can't see him playing defensive mid. Hartley has already bought for that position so don't think McGhee is in the mix unless something happens

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'd like to see either 

or

depending on who we are playing
5b56f06ab3cd4_lineup(1).png.0c8073520a7973e754adb842e3afb6cb.png
5b56f07a4f090_lineup(2).png.86400b56e24db8cd35fa0b611a85fcef.png
Personally I haven't seen enough from Turner for me to even consider him in the starting 11 ahead of Mackin but it is early doors.

I think Paton will start most games with Sammut/toe playing alongside him.

I can also see Hartley playing a diamond at times so Petra and Rees would be dropped and Froxy would sit behind the front three.

There is also the option to play 4231 but. Not sure I'd want that unless it was tactical against a certain team

2 hours ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Seen a few posts on here saying that people wouldn’t be disappointed/bothered if we didn’t sign a right back. Fair enough, who am I to doubt their sincerity, but if we don’t, then than means we would likely play Jordan McGhee there and that would mean not playing him at centre half and for me that would be disappointing. A right back for me an area of weakness for a few seasons now and hopefully Hartley just biding his time until the right man comes along.

Also whilst I like Nelson and would like him back I don’t feel he would have been as key as the Jak’s return would have been. However that seems unlikely so I like others on here will pretend I’m relaxed about the whole thing.

We have never been rich in really good right backs in my time, I considered posting in the legends post and at right back I couldve had 3 or 4 but not one of them was really a wow factor. 

McGhee can do a job at right back but its like my mother in driving, would never use 5th gear cause she learnt in a car that had only 4

9 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Scored 18 in 34 at this level a few years ago and 9 in 24 in the Premiership. We have enough 'project' players like Nelson as it is. Graham would give us the proven experience we're missing up front.

A season that started 6 yr ago, since then jumped from club to club, injury prone and not really got close to that purple patch, Id take Nelson all day long over Graham.

three year or so ago was the time to pick up Graham when Houston was waiting on him first time around not now 

34 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Once all the signings are concluded I suspect we'll find that a right-back was never on our shopping list. So if the Devlin part is inaccurate then the Graham part likely is too. He doesn't fit the profile of the "young, hungry, something to prove"-type players that Hartley's bringing in.

Paton didnt fit the young hungry something to prove that Hartley quoted around the fans meeting, 28/29 was his age for experienced players and not players in their 30s

I dont think you really can put all your eggs in one basket in that way, its just picking the right experienced over 30s that will do a job as we have had our fair share of donkeys and race horses in that area.

I know McGhee is good in the middle but isn't he a right back anyway? When we signed him my Jambo mate said he only ever seen him play at right back. 

He played at right back quite a bit for Hearts when they were in the championship, but I think we looks better at centre half. He’s still a competent fullback and is quite good at going forward too.

He played at right back quite a bit for Hearts when they were in the championship, but I think we looks better at centre half. He’s still a competent fullback and is quite good at going forward too.
Based on the fact he likes to go forward then he is better at right back in a back 4. It was fine him bursting forward when playing a back 3 but you don't want one of your centre halfs doing that in a back 4

3 hours ago, BairnNecessity said:

Bit sceptical on the Nicky Devlin rumour considering he played near enough every game for them last season and only has a year left on his deal. I wouldn’t want Brian Graham he’s poor and we already have a big target man in Mackin, i’d much rather have a young player on loan who’s up here to prove himself ala Nelson.

We have a team full of young players wanting to prove themselves. There's no harm in having a few experienced faces like Brian Graham to support them.

16 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

We have a team full of young players wanting to prove themselves. There's no harm in having a few experienced faces like Brian Graham to support them.

54 league starts in 5yr, experience of being on the bench or injured ?

interesting to note that most after a few games are picking Robson over brough at left back (as would i) however in these games Hartley seems to be favouring brough in that position
Maybe Hartley knows what Robson can do at left back and wants to see how Brough compares there?

5 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I’m quite happy with Brough and McGhee as full backs if we are playing a team we’re we would expect less of the ball. 4 big strong defenders with a holding midfielder doing their job means the front 5 can focus on attacking.

Maybe that's the plan, Brough is a big chiseled bugger. We already know Robson is good going forward. 

I'd go with a more defensive system tonight, as I don't think a hiding would do us any good this close to the start of the league campaign:

Fasan

McGhee Muirhead Dallison Robson

Petra TOE Sammut Paton Greenwood

Lewis

When we signed Brough he was described as a left mid/left back. To be fair to him, against Montrose he did put a couple of decent crosses in so maybe left mid is his best position, however, I'm surprised Hartley hasn't played him there yet